12 Last

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Default A simple way to figure out your Enneagram type

First, if you havenít yet, learn the system yourself instead of relying on others who donít know what theyíre doing to type youówhich isnít to say you have to become an Enneagram scholar. Tests arenít reliable either, at their the best being around 70% accurate (even Don Riso admits that his acclaimed RHETI has an overall accuracy of 72%).

When youíre fluent with the 9 types, if youíre still undecided between two or more as your main type, compare the security and stress types of each of those. You may already know about the stress and security points, but people tend to overlook them as indicators when unable to decide between types.

For example: type 5s go to type 7 under stress, losing their trademark focus and concentration and becoming scattered and impulsive. Likewise, in situations or environments theyíre more comfortable in, normally reserved 5s can become 8-ish (bossy, domineering, confrontational, etc). Thus, the 7 and 8 patterns are important to a 5. Now letís say youíre trying to decide between 4 and 5 as your main type. Reviewing your life, not just the present, you would then likewise consider 4ís stress and security points: 2 and 1. In most cases it should be clear which pair of stress and security patterns fit you better.

A list of the stress and security points of every type

1: 4 (stress), 7 (security/integration)
    2: 8, 4
    3: 9, 6
    4: 2, 1
    5: 7, 8
    6: 3, 9
    7: 1, 5
    8: 5, 2
    9: 6, 3

You also have to allow that, though pretty accurate, the Enneagramís not a perfect system. You may not find a description you strongly identify with in any one type or subtype.

Finally, when you know your type, donít become too attached to it. The Enneagram was designed to help you free yourself from that kind of overattachment to self and personality Ė though certain Enneagram gurus do take the quasi Eastern religion approach too far, going to the ďself and world are only illusions and the personality is a disease you need to be cured ofĒ extreme. Some of you, however, could use a dose of the Buddha potion for grasping too much at identity and validation. This ends up being a Narcissus trap that erases the fine line between self-awareness and self-obsession. Essentially, the formula is to use your Enneagram type as a map to guide you through your inner terrain (personality fixations or complexes) to connect more with your center.

It took me 10 minutes to write this and I donít work for free. So kindly post your credit card number before exiting this thread. Thank you. Have a great day.
    X___________________________________

If things are not what they seem, and we are forever reminded that this is the caseóthen it must also be observed that enough of us ignore this truth to keep the world from collapsing. ĖThomas Ligotti, The Mystics of Muelenberg

MBTI
    ENTP

Gee, Iím so impressed by how much you know about the Enneagram, Evilrobot. Like this board didnít already have enough pathetic posers, which is exactly what you are.
    i believe that i am in hell, therefore i am there.
    Ėarthur rimbaud

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by mysterio View Post
    Gee, Iím so impressed by how much you know about the Enneagram, Evilrobot. Like this board didnít already have enough pathetic posers, which is exactly what you are.
    don't be a hater, bro.
    When they discover the center of the universe, a lot of people will be disappointed to discover they are not it.
    - Bernard Bailey
    It is bad luck to be superstitious.
    - Andrew W. Mathis

sp/sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by SecantSquared View Post
    don't be a hater, bro.
    I had a stronger word in mind.

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Yep, thatís me. Thatís why this thread got so many replies, because Iím one of the 24/7 fixtures here who can post my grocery list and get 50 responses. Jackass.

If things are not what they seem, and we are forever reminded that this is the caseóthen it must also be observed that enough of us ignore this truth to keep the world from collapsing. ĖThomas Ligotti, The Mystics of Muelenberg

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This is interesting. Makes me wonder if I'm actually a 2 who acts 8 when stressed and 4 when comfortable. Is this your theory that you made up?

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    This is interesting. Makes me wonder if I'm actually a 2 who acts 8 when stressed and 4 when comfortable. Is this your theory that you made up?
    No, integration and disintegration are core parts of the enneagram theory.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    No, integration and disintegration are core parts of the enneagram theory.
    Donít believe this, ms, I invented the Enneagram.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by evilrobot View Post
    Donít believe this, ms, I invented the Enneagram.
    You also seem think that I'm in love with you, so I don't think I'm going to trust this statement. :1377:

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

I integrate into 9w4 and disintegrate into 7w2, what does that make me?
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin