• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Constant Misconception of Wings

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
What I was getting at, is I took one and was surprised by the accuracy and depth of information concerning my wing.

Jaguar

What I was getting at, is I took one and was surprised by the accuracy and depth of information concerning my wing.

I'm not doubting that. For you.

Contrary to what many people think, a theory doesn't work for everyone in practice.
I can't begin to tell you how many 8's on the internet-regardless of forum- have said if they could be any wing, they would choose 8w1.

Now, there has to be a reason for that.
The reason is, it works. It's the truth about the person.
That's why they want that combination.

If people want to list their E-type in a way that best reflects who they really are, I say go for it.
And if that way happens to break from "tradition," I still say go for it.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My top 3 scores are 8,1,5.
If someone wants to know me, they would know more by thinking 8,1,5 than 8w9 or 8w7.

you obviously have no 9. and you're obviously not a 5, or you'd have better information. 8w7? identifying with the hyper Te judginess of 1, but without context or content (iNtuitive e1 might focus on foreseeing a future plan that would actually improve something?)?

DiscoBiscuit

Meat Tornado
Enneagram
8w9
I'm not doubting that. For you.

Contrary to what many people think, a theory doesn't work for everyone in practice.
I can't begin to tell you how many 8's on the internet-regardless of forum- have said if they could be any wing, they would choose 8w1.

Now, there has to be a reason for that.
The reason is, it works. It's the truth about the person.
That's why they want that combination.

If people want to list their E-type in a way that best reflects who they really are, I say go for it.
And if that way happens to break from "tradition," I still say go for it.

Before I took the test I didn't think I was an 8. And even once I thought I was an 8 I thought I had a one wing or some other such nonsense.

Jaguar

Before I took the test I didn't think I was an 8. And even once I thought I was an 8 I thought I had a one wing or some other such nonsense.

The only nonsense is when people throw out their true scores, to fit someone else's idea of who they are.

evilrobot

MBTI Type
nite
Enneagram
5w4
If your wing is moderate to heavy, use it. Otherwise dump it and just use your main type by itself, because your wing subtype description won’t fit you that well if the wing is weak.

Jaguar

If your wing is moderate to heavy, use it. Otherwise dump it and just use your main type by itself, because your wing subtype description won’t fit you that well if the wing is weak.

Agreed.

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
I would also consider looking into the definitions by themselves, seeing as that's how it helped me find out my wing. And if neither of the wings seem to fit you, then drop them and go for the balanced wing. Sadly, the good definitions site has gone to the wayside, if anyone could get a good wing site on here, that should help.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
You can take on the traits of the type you integrate into consciously. And integration is what helps you grow/makes you a more balanced person.

What?

Jaguar

you obviously have no 9. and you're obviously not a 5, or you'd have better information. 8w7? identifying with the hyper Te judginess of 1, but without context or content (iNtuitive e1 might focus on foreseeing a future plan that would actually improve something?)?

Lol.

Take Five

Supreme Allied Commander
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Strange that 1 and 9, my numbers, are said to be Instincts. I never really thought of myself as an Instinct person.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Strange that 1 and 9, my numbers, are said to be Instincts. I never really thought of myself as an Instinct person.

lol. The word "instinct" does press a lot of buttons for a 1.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Ha. No one knows instinctual repression like a 1w9 (or 9w1) does. :laugh:

'Coping & Pasting':

"Ones attempt to control or repress their anger and instinctual energy. They feel that they must stay in control of themselves, especially of their instinctual impulses and angry feelings at all times. They would like to direct these energies according to the dictates of their highly developed inner critic (superego), the source of their strictures on themselves and others.

Nines deny their anger and instinctual energies as if to say, "What anger? I am not a person who gets angry." Nines are the type most out of touch with their anger and instinctual energies, often feeling threatened by them. Of course, Nines get angry like everyone else, but try to stay out of their darker feelings by focusing on idealizations of their relationships and their world."

Site: How the Enneagram Personality System Works

-----------------------------------------

• Maybe this is a helpful way of looking at it?

E-Triads_Em.gif

• or this:
"Contrary to popular notions, opinions and beliefs have their basis in the instincts, in the gut. When we assert a position ("This is absolutely the way it is!") the certainty of our view comes from our gut. If we are present enough to notice, we can feel this when we express a strong opinion. And indeed, Ones are people of strong convictions and opinions as befitting a type in the Instinctive (or Gut) Triad. Average to unhealthy Ones are entirely convinced of the rightness of their views, and respect people who hold similar strength in their convictions. They think as a way of buttressing their already established beliefs."

Understanding the Enneagram: The Practical Guide to Personality Types By Don Richard Riso, Russ Hudson

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Until I can get hold of an Enneagram book from a library (it's Christmas, I'm poor) can someone just tell me whether I've understood the system right? Whether I'm 6w5 or 6w7 depends on exactly what the wings do.

I relate more to the overall tone of the 7 wing descriptions. I'm not cynical or sarcastic except in a gently humourous way at times. I don't think I have the hard edge of the w5. I have terrible trouble developing a few talents well instead of getting bored of each and moving on after a few days or weeks, usually getting back round to it periodically. At first I thought my tendency to avoid taking on commitments and obligations was a symptom of 5, but my reason is quite 7-like: what I'll feel like doing in five minutes is not at all predictable, so I hate feeling tied down because I want to be free to follow my own whims and mood shifts, keep my options open in other words. Is that also the reasoning behind Five behaviour? If not, why do Fives shun commitments?

But beyond that, I don't act much like an actual Seven on the surface at all because I don't value excitement as much, and I'm not sure how important that's supposed to be, as the wing surely only influences the manifestation of the dominant style, it's not the second most prominent style. The second most prominent style is in one of the other triads, isn't it? You only get behavioural/mental similarities from the wing, not the fundamental priorities, isn't that right? I don't have the fundamental priorities (competence, excitement) of either wing. In terms of priorities, I'm closest to the Four and the One, which works nicely under the Trifix system.

Superficially, I act much more like a actual Five - preferring to spend a lot of time alone, autodidactic, contemplative. I've read that Riso recommends that the dominant wing is the wing with the higher score in the RHETTI. Doing it that way (though I've only taken a free sample) I'd be a w5, no question. However, with the Trifix, my second Enneagram style is 4w5. That could be where the 5 behaviour is coming from, allowing me to still have a Seven wing on my Six. :thinking:

Last edited: