• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Constant Misconception of Wings

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
You measure wing based on what you relate to more. With the type's motivations and stuff.

the wing should be could be must to be measured in such a way that it accurately reflects my motivations, fears and desires. what i see in these tests is a lot of central/core issues in the the central type that don't measure in the right way my own oblique patterns for wingtype. iow wing has a relevant motivation and holds all the conditions of the main type cept degree and um something else, not sure of that.

could be completely wrong, my extraverted opinion only.

speculative

Feelin' FiNe
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
You measure wing based on what you relate to more. With the type's motivations and stuff.

Yes, although care must be taken to make sure that we're measuring what we actually relate to in order to find what our true motivations really are, rather than what we want them to be.

Bubbles

See Right Through Me
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
Yes, although care must be taken to make sure that we're measuring what we actually relate to in order to find what our true motivations really are, rather than what we want them to be.

Absolutely. I think this is why many people confuse their wings more than their type. I wish I had more 5, that's for sure. ;)

the wing should be could be must to be measured in such a way that it accurately reflects my motivations, fears and desires. what i see in these tests is a lot of central/core issues in the the central type that don't measure in the right way my own oblique patterns for wingtype. iow wing has a relevant motivation and holds all the conditions of the main type cept degree and um something else, not sure of that.
At the end of the day, all the tests in the world don't mean crap if the result doesn't ring true with you. A lot of personality theory in general is self-evaluating. YOU are the one answering the quiz questions; YOU are the one determining if the profile suits you; YOU, not the test, is in control here.

I did not rely on a test to determine my own wing. In fact, I've never heard of such a test. If anything, you ought to research your two options. Read profiles of your type with that wing, and ALSO read the profile for that wing's type itself (mostly because many wing profiles are horribly biased ime).

Also, don't stress too much over wing. It's really a very simple thing. I think it's funny how people can accept triad, integration, degeneration, and their type, but have so much trouble over their two choices for wing. :cheese:

Is that possible?

I've never seen anything about balanced wings, nor about type without wings.

Would balanced wings mean you were like both of your number-wing pairs, or would it mean you were closer the the description of the single number itself?
I've certainly heard of balanced wings in numerous places. (Although I think we're all balanced to some extent.)
This gives a quick summary: balanced wings - PersonalityCafe

I got a question: can we have developped the two adjascent wings in different degree?
Most people do! And the one you're more developed towards is your wing. ;)

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You can have developed the two adjacent types to a different degree, and the one you have developed more will be your wing.

Most people do! And the one you're more developed towards is your wing.

Ah, ok, thanks! I'm sure to be a 6w7 now, but with some 5 leanings.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I must say that the addition of the influence made the enneagram click much more with me. I read the stuff about 9s and I thought "okay that's close but lacks nuance", read up on 5s (my second highest score) and ran the other way. Then I read up on 8 which I scored fairly high in (more so than 1) and then the combination of 9w8. Now then I got confused because 8 seems so much more competitive than I am. I don't tend to be concerned with power without an end. At last I found something about 9w8 with an influence from 6 and it clicked.

The thing I'm still mulling over is why it's the adjacent number. I think the closest I ever got was in a conversation with Night
"The reasoning behind dropping your non neighbouring wing is not that it doesn't conform but that it's not your motivation speaking there, it's your mindset. Hence I get 5. It's my INTP creeping in and the enneagram isn't about that, hence I'm a 9w8."

Is that close?

wren

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
first off i think it is important for tests to accurately measure someone's personality. thats the ethical thing. when people take these tests online for example my first response is that the test should do its best. most people dont like to read about personality and when they take a test that measures personality and receive a type whether mbti socionics Etype that person is influenced and so the result should lead the person on a quest of truth about themselves. when results are far off for the individual based on results and or the profiles following then people are turned off from exploring their personality.

as far as wings go if a test says it determines a wing type as well as a main type then it should uphold that statement. for me i know my wingtype by reading further and introspection but like i said above most people dont explore any further than taking a test and reading a profile. people on this site are different of course and those who care deeply about personality theory and typology this doesnt present a problem.

my opoinion about wingtype comes from my taking accounts of the types on each side of my core type and than finding spots of resonance. its hard to determine because i think those adjacent types are both a part of me. what is important is that one can relate to both wings at least in the process of determing core type. one should have inherent knowing of their wing types if the typing is accurate but again most people don't read about all the types in determining their nature, they just take a test.

my point is i believe that tests of personlity should be as ethically based as possible, helping people to know themselves better. so when you take a test that says your main type is such and such and the wing is the type adjacent with the higher score than that should be true to the best ability of the test. when tests aren't held to a high standard they arent doing anyone a favor. those who love typology will always read further but anyone else will drop and forget it which hardly helps the world at all.

redacted

How are wings even that descriptively useful?

I personally find it much more descriptive to include the number 5 in my enneagram than 8 or 1 (I'm a 9). I just think of the wings as a way to sneak in a 2nd-best type. If you have only a finite number (two) slots to include information, why not include as much as possible?

Also, the lines of integration make no sense.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How AREN'T they useful?

And integration makes perfect sense dude. I don't understand why it doesn't make sense to you. It just seems like you and Magic P purposefully try not to understand how the system works.

I mean really. It all makes complete sense to me, and pretty much everyone that pursues enneagram. Your "system" doesn't help people grow at all like the original enneagram.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I mean really. It all makes complete sense to me, and pretty much everyone that pursues enneagram. Your "system" doesn't help people grow at all like the original enneagram.

How does "the original enneagram" "help people grow?"

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How does "the original enneagram" "help people grow?"

You can take on the traits of the type you integrate into consciously. And integration is what helps you grow/makes you a more balanced person.

Jaguar

How are wings even that descriptively useful?

I personally find it much more descriptive to include the number 5 in my enneagram than 8 or 1 (I'm a 9). I just think of the wings as a way to sneak in a 2nd-best type. If you have only a finite number (two) slots to include information, why not include as much as possible?

My top 3 scores are 8,1,5.
If someone wants to know me, they would know more by thinking 8,1,5 than 8w9 or 8w7.