User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 18

  1. #1
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default Instincts Metaphor

    So I came up with this metaphor that I think describes the instincts pretty well. Note this is a supplement to more in depth descriptions.


    Imagine a spider web (don't run away please!). A giant spider web. With lots of spiders. Something like this (not for the arachnophobic).

    Anyway, each of those spiders represents a person. Each strand on the web connects a person to all other people that person knows. And the web as a whole represents society.

    Insert instincts here:

    Social types want to be connected to the web as a whole and know what's happening on a macro level.

    Sexual types want to maintain and strengthen the individual bonds between two people. They want to know what's happening on a micro level.

    Self Preservation types want to tend to and take care of the people. Making sure they're safe, secure and healthy. They care about what's happening on a personal/individual level.

    Each type serves a role in the web. So types make sure that each spider is and there are no gaping holes. Sx types make sure that each individual strand is secure, and Sp types make sure that each individual spider is healthy and comfortable.
    Last edited by Costrin; 11-26-2009 at 11:04 PM.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

  2. #2
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    I like the analogy, with one exception. I am not a social type but I still very much want to know what is happening on a macro level (N's are "big picture").

    While I derive a lot of personal satisfaction in my conversations with my few closest "spidey friends", I am still very interested in how the entire web is holding up - I want it to be strong, I want to be informed or alerted if anything is going wrong on the far end of the web (other side of the globe, in human terms) because I believe I can help in certain ways, help come up with solutions, etc. And this might be contradictory, but I'm just not that interested in walking around and talking to all those other spiders. I care about them all and all of their well being and how OUR web is holding up and how we might improve how we take care of the vast web, I just don't have the time or the desire to meet 'em all. They'll be fine without me and I'll be fine without them, but I still want them to prosper.

    So, I don't know. I'm VERY interested in macro-level happenings. I just don't have time to develop intimacies with all the individual micro's that make up the macro.

  3. #3
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    I like the analogy, with one exception. I am not a social type but I still very much want to know what is happening on a macro level (N's are "big picture").

    While I derive a lot of personal satisfaction in my conversations with my few closest "spidey friends", I am still very interested in how the entire web is holding up - I want it to be strong, I want to be informed or alerted if anything is going wrong on the far end of the web (other side of the globe, in human terms) because I believe I can help in certain ways, help come up with solutions, etc. And this might be contradictory, but I'm just not that interested in walking around and talking to all those other spiders. I care about them all and all of their well being and how OUR web is holding up and how we might improve how we take care of the vast web, I just don't have the time or the desire to meet 'em all. They'll be fine without me and I'll be fine without them, but I still want them to prosper.

    So, I don't know. I'm VERY interested in macro-level happenings. I just don't have time to develop intimacies with all the individual micro's that make up the macro.
    Yeah I shoulda phrased that better (and I considered taking it out but figured I'm lazy enough to leave it in lul).

    'The web' can actually refer to just a section of the whole global society. An So type is only concerned on what happens in their own community, but different people will define that differently, whether it is their hometown, country, organization, forum, school, circle of friends, the whole of humanity or whatever.

    The big thing with So types is the feeling of being connected. They want to be personally connected to what is happening, or rather to the people involved. By wanting to know what is happening on a 'macro level', they want to know all the connections between all the spiders. They do this by one, forming direct connections with other spiders to increase their area of influence, and two, relying on other spiders to tell them about the connections that they see.

    What you're describing seems to be something else from what I had in mind, now if only I can eloquate (I do believe I just made up a word here)that sufficiently. Being tired doesn't help. Anyway, yup.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

  4. #4
    Retired Member Wonkavision's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE
    Posts
    1,155

    Default

    I can dig it, Costrin.

    Good job.
    __________________


    I'M OUTTA HERE.

    IT'S BEEN FUN.

    TAKE CARE.

    PEACE OUT!!!


  5. #5
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    Which means the web is only as strong as its weakest strand.
    I like the metaphor.

    I'm an SX.

  6. #6
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Why must this metaphor utilize something disturbing like a spider web

  7. #7
    Senior Member BlahBlahNounBlah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    1,458

    Default

    Looks like I'm typed correctly. sx/sp
    I have a vagina.


    ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

  8. #8
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,444

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Why must this metaphor utilize something disturbing like a spider web
    Spider webs are disturbing?

  9. #9
    Senior Member BlahBlahNounBlah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    1,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Spider webs are disturbing?

    That's what I was thinking! It definitely caused a moment. I even clicked on the link to see if it was full of creepy-crawlies, but it just looked like netting. But I tend to be surprised by what disturbs people. Unless it's obvious, I never know.
    I have a vagina.


    ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

  10. #10
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Which means the web is only as strong as its weakest strand.
    I like the metaphor.

    I'm an SX.
    That's overwhelmingly obvious.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

Similar Threads

  1. What are your instincts?
    By Magic Poriferan in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 280
    Last Post: 12-19-2016, 02:12 AM
  2. Metaphorically thinking
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2013, 05:10 AM
  3. The Nature of Ne -- a metaphorical visual
    By spirilis in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 01:55 AM
  4. The Nature of Fi -- a metaphorical visual
    By arcticangel02 in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 07:12 PM
  5. Diversity among plants (metaphorically)
    By SillySapienne in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2008, 06:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO