• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Dreams, enneagram and finding enneagram type

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
So I have some questions to you all.

I have been having difficulty figuring out if Im an enneagram 5 or 9. I lean towards 5, but some people I know online say I might be 9 and I can basically see that as an possibility. This is not the question just some background knowledge to understand my question.

So I have congenital myopathy in a sort of light form and the disease is heriditary so I got it from my mother. It is a very stable kind of muscles disease that should not change with time. Basically I just get very tired or tire quicker than others but I am basically a strong enough kind of person. And I see her getting weaker and have more problems that is not related to that disease, as she gets older, which might be why I have this reccurring dream. The dream or the overall theme of the dream is me not being able to move out of a chair or whatever Im sitting in. In the dream I feel totally incapable of dealing with myself. Im what you would call overweight, so that might also be a problem or what my brain is telling me to do something about.

Basically my idea of dream interpretation is to take what you dream in as much of a practical manner as you can. Im not saying there are symbolisms in dreams I just mean they must mean something to you before you dreamt the dream. So I basically believe that for you to see symbols in things you have had to associate them with something. So if I dream an apple being tread on, it has a meaning to me in the context of my perception and not something that is in a book Ive never read. To me symbols can have many interpretations and what I percieve it as in a dream might be very different from what someone else experience it as. So I dont have much faith in dream interpretation that is based on symbolics from a book I have never read. I have had to read that book, there after dreamt something and then you can interpret my dream according to your book. And it is basically not that kind of dream interpretation Im looking for.

But my question is based on enneagram and in particular type 5. This types basic fear is to be helpless and that is basically what I dream I am. Do you think I using my dream to explain myself something? And that the dream interpretation might help me to understand what type I might be? Could this also suggest another enneagram type?

Please come up with any idea, all ideas are helpful.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that you're a 5 because you're not afraid to analyze unpleasant things in your life. 9's typically are. Plus you just really seem to be a 5.

9 vs 5: Nines are drawn to comforting thoughts as opposed to fives who are mentally intense, strong-minded, and arguementative, and drawn to disturbing thoughts. Fives like to argue for sport while nines don't want to bother with winning an arguement since it means getting angry which feels unpleasant. Fives unlike nines put a premium on what they say being well thought-out. Nines have a bias to simplify whereas fives have a bias to complexify. Nines have an elastic cognition while fives are constrained by their internal logic. Nine thinking is involved with generalities whereas five thinking is highly concentrated, penetrating, and almost microscopic in its focus. Nines are more "present" physically. Nines see being united and coming together in a positive light.

Also I'm sorry about the disease. :hug:

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
This types basic fear is to be helpless and that is basically what I dream I am. Do you think I using my dream to explain myself something? And that the dream interpretation might help me to understand what type I might be? Could this also suggest another enneagram type?

Wow. I've never considered this before, but it's extremely interesting. I'm going to give this more consideration.

I've always thought that the subconscious is more aware of a person's true motivations. It sees everything and only a tiny portion of that is processed consciously.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
I think that you're a 5 because you're not afraid to analyze unpleasant things in your life. 9's typically are. Plus you just really seem to be a 5.

Also I'm sorry about the disease. :hug:

Well I analyze all areas of my life, constantly its like a neverending process in my head. One thing I have a problem with being a type 5 is that i dont neccesarily consider myself that intellectual. I know Ive got a good head on my shoulders and have nerdy and geekish interests but other than that...

Thanks for the hug, Ive basically always had the disease so I dont know any better. *smiles and hugs back*

Wow. I've never considered this before, but it's extremely interesting. I'm going to give this more consideration.

I've always thought that the subconscious is more aware of a person's true motivations. It sees everything and only a tiny portion of that is processed consciously.

Interesting. I would like to hear more about this theory of yours, may I suggest you make a thread about it if you have the time or want to do so? :nerd:

Last edited:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interesting. I would like to hear more about this theory of yours, may I suggest you make a thread about it if you have the time or want to do so? :nerd:

I would like to hear more as well, particularly because I don't understand the whole of it in my mind, but it seems very interesting. :)

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around how someone's subconscious would be totally aware of intentions, yet we wouldn't be consciously aware of it. Do you think that instinct or intuition comes into play here?

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Well I analyze all areas of my life, constantly its like a neverending process in my head.

That's a very 5 trait

One thing I have a problem with being a type 5 is that i dont neccesarily consider myself that intellectual. I know Ive got a good head on my shoulders and have nerdy and geekish interests but other than that...

That wouldn't really effect it imo.

9 and 5 mistype thingy from Enneagram Institute (you have to register to see it, so I'll copypasta):

Of all the personality types, Nines have the most difficulty identifying which type they are because their sense of self is undefined. Average Nines have little sense of who they are apart from those they have identified with; hence, they are usually at a loss to know where to begin to find their type.
Moreover, average Nines have problems identifying their type because doing so arouses anxiety, something completely anathema to them. Whatever disturbs their peace of mind is ignored or met with a blind eye. They avoid introspection in favor of entertaining comforting notions about themselves, whatever they may be. Maintaining an undefined understanding of themselves, and thus, maintaining their emotional comfort, is more important to average Nines than acquiring deeper insights.
None of this is true of Fives, and the two types are opposites in many ways. Nines are gentle, easygoing, patient, receptive, and accommodating, whereas Fives are intense, strong-minded, argumentative, contentious, and highly resistant to the influence of others.
When Nines are highly intelligent, they can be as brilliant as Fives, although their intellectual prowess is compartmentalized. They are brilliant at work but unfocused and inattentive everywhere else, whereas Fives are focused and attentive everywhere all the time.
blah blah more stuff (it's quite long)

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
That's a very 5 trait

That wouldn't really effect it imo.

9 and 5 mistype thingy from Enneagram Institute (you have to register to see it, so I'll copypasta):

Yeah well the problem is Im obsessing over this right now I need to come to a conclusion. Its almost 5am and I have class at 9am.....

And Im gentle, nice all the words for type 9 but also the words for type 5, maybe not argumentative though. Well only to a certain degree. I want to be peaceful and laidback but Im also the cerebral type thats constantly in my head.

I got this theory that many of my outwards traits (or what I want to exude to the world) are very much like 9w8 but that inwards Im more into 5w4. And I was reading Don Riso's book on Personality Types and the unhealthy levels of the 5 scares me. And the 5 description in that book seems so highflying in the description of the healthy levels. Like all the people of that type is either brilliant scientists or total psychos. Im looking forward to reading the type 9 now. /irony

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah well the problem is Im obsessing over this right now I need to come to a conclusion. Its almost 5am and I have class at 9am.....

Heh, reminds me of when I was trying to figure out my socionics type.

And Im gentle, nice all the words for type 9 but also the words for type 5, maybe not argumentative though. Well only to a certain degree. I want to be peaceful and laidback but Im also the cerebral type thats constantly in my head.

Lol, as a type 5, I'm not argumentative and I hate conflicts and I like to think I'm peaceful and laidback. I wouldn't really describe myself as gentle though, but maybe I'm biased. And I don't really go out of my way to prevent conflicts like a 9 would be more apt to do. Instead I'll withdraw into my head and detach from the situation.

And the 5 description in that book seems so highflying in the description of the healthy levels. Like all the people of that type is either brilliant scientists or total psychos.

Actually that may be your 5 showing also (speculating here). Because 5s have a fixation with competency and mastery.

Do you relate to this?:

5s desire to be experts in some subject, not for the status/title, but as a more intrinsic desire. 5s also tend to use their (relative) mastery as a lens for social interaction. 5s want to be useful, so if they're the expert on something, then they can use that to interact with people/society. 5s dread feeling useless and they can feel lost as to what to say in a conversation when the topic isn't some subject they feel competent in.

slowriot

He who laughs
Enneagram
5w4
Heh, reminds me of when I was trying to figure out my socionics type.

Lol, as a type 5, I'm not argumentative and I hate conflicts and I like to think I'm peaceful and laidback. I wouldn't really describe myself as gentle though, but maybe I'm biased. And I don't really go out of my way to prevent conflicts like a 9 would be more apt to do. Instead I'll withdraw into my head and detach from the situation.

Actually that may be your 5 showing also (speculating here). Because 5s have a fixation with competency and mastery.

Do you relate to this?:

5s desire to be experts in some subject, not for the status/title, but as a more intrinsic desire. 5s also tend to use their (relative) mastery as a lens for social interaction. 5s want to be useful, so if they're the expert on something, then they can use that to interact with people/society. 5s dread feeling useless and they can feel lost as to what to say in a conversation when the topic isn't some subject they feel competent in.

Yes I can see what you mean basically Im pretty much like you, if people have issues with me or people critisize I dont reeally care, I wish they didnt but I tend to see it as a natural part of life.

Competency and mastery yes.

But I feel more socially assertive than what a normal 5 seems like, or there is little information about that outthere. Maybe Ive pust mastered it. LOL

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
But I feel more socially assertive than what a normal 5 seems like, or there is little information about that outthere. Maybe Ive pust mastered it. LOL

Possibly! And it could also be your instincts. If you're a social instinct, you'll probably be more driven and better at social stuff (compared to someone like me who has it as third).

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
sexual first, social second, self perserverance third.

Quotey quotes cuz it's much easier than actually typing stuff out myself, eh:

sx/so

This is the type that exudes the most raw charisma and sexual energy. They may identify so strongly with whatever they're involved with that they often become the symbol of its core essence, and sometimes its lead agent for change. Hardly content with the status quo, this subvariant seeks to alter the fundamental structure of something while at once embodying it's purest or most extreme form. Possibly attracted to radical views on politics, philosophy, spirituality or creativity that reflect their penchant for testing boundaries. They enjoy pushing other's buttons, especially those resistant to their modes of expression. It's not uncommon for them to have a pet social, political or spiritual cause which they're able to support with heartfelt conviction. May exploit and seek to redefine sexuality to reflect their own colorful and uncertain understanding of it. While prone to exhibitionism, they are strongly attracted to grounding influences which can anchor them and provide stability. Failure to satisfy an especially intense desire for connection may cause this subvariant to spite others at the risk of jeopardizing the need for an equal, stabilizing force. Can feel pulled between wanting a life of maximum intensity and reassuring episodes of peaceful convention.

Motivation: to impact others, question assumptions, challenge convention.

Familiar roles: provocateur, activist, exhibitionish

Examples of sx/so: Madonna, John Lennon, Yukio Mishima, Robin Williams, Drew Barrymore, Richard Simmons, Elvis, Bono, George Michael, Sinead O'Connor, Joan of Arc

Sexual/social

This subtype is the most dramatic of the instinctual stackings of type Five. They are less concerned than the social/sexual subtype with social rejection, but take rejection from intimates very much to heart. They have a strong desire to express themselves, and can be the most Four-like of all the instinctual subtypes of type Five.

Not only do they have a strong desire to merge with a significant other, they also want to make their mark in the larger social sphere. The intensity, aggression, counterphobic stance and desire to connect deeply, all combine with the social instinct to produce a highly charged personality. This subtype can become quite accomplished if they are able to form an intimate connection with someone who will help ground them and provide them with a feeling of security. When Fives of this subtype feel a sense of safety due to healthy intimate relationships, they will want to share whatever knowledge, talent or insight they may have.

When unhealthy, this subtype can be very dark, pessimistic and the most confrontational of all the subtypes of Five. They can also become very arrogant.