User Tag List

12 Last

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Dreams, enneagram and finding enneagram type

So I have some questions to you all.

I have been having difficulty figuring out if Im an enneagram 5 or 9. I lean towards 5, but some people I know online say I might be 9 and I can basically see that as an possibility. This is not the question just some background knowledge to understand my question.

So I have congenital myopathy in a sort of light form and the disease is heriditary so I got it from my mother. It is a very stable kind of muscles disease that should not change with time. Basically I just get very tired or tire quicker than others but I am basically a strong enough kind of person. And I see her getting weaker and have more problems that is not related to that disease, as she gets older, which might be why I have this reccurring dream. The dream or the overall theme of the dream is me not being able to move out of a chair or whatever Im sitting in. In the dream I feel totally incapable of dealing with myself. Im what you would call overweight, so that might also be a problem or what my brain is telling me to do something about.

Basically my idea of dream interpretation is to take what you dream in as much of a practical manner as you can. Im not saying there are symbolisms in dreams I just mean they must mean something to you before you dreamt the dream. So I basically believe that for you to see symbols in things you have had to associate them with something. So if I dream an apple being tread on, it has a meaning to me in the context of my perception and not something that is in a book Ive never read. To me symbols can have many interpretations and what I percieve it as in a dream might be very different from what someone else experience it as. So I dont have much faith in dream interpretation that is based on symbolics from a book I have never read. I have had to read that book, there after dreamt something and then you can interpret my dream according to your book. And it is basically not that kind of dream interpretation Im looking for.

But my question is based on enneagram and in particular type 5. This types basic fear is to be helpless and that is basically what I dream I am. Do you think I using my dream to explain myself something? And that the dream interpretation might help me to understand what type I might be? Could this also suggest another enneagram type?

Please come up with any idea, all ideas are helpful.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think that you're a 5 because you're not afraid to analyze unpleasant things in your life. 9's typically are. Plus you just really seem to be a 5.

9 vs 5: Nines are drawn to comforting thoughts as opposed to fives who are mentally intense, strong-minded, and arguementative, and drawn to disturbing thoughts. Fives like to argue for sport while nines don't want to bother with winning an arguement since it means getting angry which feels unpleasant. Fives unlike nines put a premium on what they say being well thought-out. Nines have a bias to simplify whereas fives have a bias to complexify. Nines have an elastic cognition while fives are constrained by their internal logic. Nine thinking is involved with generalities whereas five thinking is highly concentrated, penetrating, and almost microscopic in its focus. Nines are more "present" physically. Nines see being united and coming together in a positive light.
    Also I'm sorry about the disease.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by slowriot View Post
    This types basic fear is to be helpless and that is basically what I dream I am. Do you think I using my dream to explain myself something? And that the dream interpretation might help me to understand what type I might be? Could this also suggest another enneagram type?

Wow. I've never considered this before, but it's extremely interesting. I'm going to give this more consideration.

I've always thought that the subconscious is more aware of a person's true motivations. It sees everything and only a tiny portion of that is processed consciously.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I think that you're a 5 because you're not afraid to analyze unpleasant things in your life. 9's typically are. Plus you just really seem to be a 5.

Also I'm sorry about the disease.
    Well I analyze all areas of my life, constantly its like a neverending process in my head. One thing I have a problem with being a type 5 is that i dont neccesarily consider myself that intellectual. I know Ive got a good head on my shoulders and have nerdy and geekish interests but other than that...

Thanks for the hug, Ive basically always had the disease so I dont know any better. *smiles and hugs back*

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    Wow. I've never considered this before, but it's extremely interesting. I'm going to give this more consideration.

I've always thought that the subconscious is more aware of a person's true motivations. It sees everything and only a tiny portion of that is processed consciously.
    Interesting. I would like to hear more about this theory of yours, may I suggest you make a thread about it if you have the time or want to do so?
    Last edited by slowriot; 11-24-2009 at 02:19 PM. Reason: forgot BlackCat's reply....

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Interesting. I would like to hear more about this theory of yours, may I suggest you make a thread about it if you have the time or want to do so?
    I would like to hear more as well, particularly because I don't understand the whole of it in my mind, but it seems very interesting.

I'm just having a hard time wrapping my head around how someone's subconscious would be totally aware of intentions, yet we wouldn't be consciously aware of it. Do you think that instinct or intuition comes into play here?
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Well I analyze all areas of my life, constantly its like a neverending process in my head.
    That's a very 5 trait

One thing I have a problem with being a type 5 is that i dont neccesarily consider myself that intellectual. I know Ive got a good head on my shoulders and have nerdy and geekish interests but other than that...
    That wouldn't really effect it imo.

9 and 5 mistype thingy from Enneagram Institute (you have to register to see it, so I'll copypasta):

Of all the personality types, Nines have the most difficulty identifying which type they are because their sense of self is undefined. Average Nines have little sense of who they are apart from those they have identified with; hence, they are usually at a loss to know where to begin to find their type.
    Moreover, average Nines have problems identifying their type because doing so arouses anxiety, something completely anathema to them. Whatever disturbs their peace of mind is ignored or met with a blind eye. They avoid introspection in favor of entertaining comforting notions about themselves, whatever they may be. Maintaining an undefined understanding of themselves, and thus, maintaining their emotional comfort, is more important to average Nines than acquiring deeper insights.
    None of this is true of Fives, and the two types are opposites in many ways. Nines are gentle, easygoing, patient, receptive, and accommodating, whereas Fives are intense, strong-minded, argumentative, contentious, and highly resistant to the influence of others.
    When Nines are highly intelligent, they can be as brilliant as Fives, although their intellectual prowess is compartmentalized. They are brilliant at work but unfocused and inattentive everywhere else, whereas Fives are focused and attentive everywhere all the time.
    blah blah more stuff (it's quite long)
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    That's a very 5 trait

That wouldn't really effect it imo.

9 and 5 mistype thingy from Enneagram Institute (you have to register to see it, so I'll copypasta):
    Yeah well the problem is Im obsessing over this right now I need to come to a conclusion. Its almost 5am and I have class at 9am.....

And Im gentle, nice all the words for type 9 but also the words for type 5, maybe not argumentative though. Well only to a certain degree. I want to be peaceful and laidback but Im also the cerebral type thats constantly in my head.

I got this theory that many of my outwards traits (or what I want to exude to the world) are very much like 9w8 but that inwards Im more into 5w4. And I was reading Don Riso's book on Personality Types and the unhealthy levels of the 5 scares me. And the 5 description in that book seems so highflying in the description of the healthy levels. Like all the people of that type is either brilliant scientists or total psychos. Im looking forward to reading the type 9 now. /irony

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Yeah well the problem is Im obsessing over this right now I need to come to a conclusion. Its almost 5am and I have class at 9am.....
    Heh, reminds me of when I was trying to figure out my socionics type.

And Im gentle, nice all the words for type 9 but also the words for type 5, maybe not argumentative though. Well only to a certain degree. I want to be peaceful and laidback but Im also the cerebral type thats constantly in my head.
    Lol, as a type 5, I'm not argumentative and I hate conflicts and I like to think I'm peaceful and laidback. I wouldn't really describe myself as gentle though, but maybe I'm biased. And I don't really go out of my way to prevent conflicts like a 9 would be more apt to do. Instead I'll withdraw into my head and detach from the situation.

And the 5 description in that book seems so highflying in the description of the healthy levels. Like all the people of that type is either brilliant scientists or total psychos.
    Actually that may be your 5 showing also (speculating here). Because 5s have a fixation with competency and mastery.

Do you relate to this?:

5s desire to be experts in some subject, not for the status/title, but as a more intrinsic desire. 5s also tend to use their (relative) mastery as a lens for social interaction. 5s want to be useful, so if they're the expert on something, then they can use that to interact with people/society. 5s dread feeling useless and they can feel lost as to what to say in a conversation when the topic isn't some subject they feel competent in.
    - Costrin

He who laughs
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Heh, reminds me of when I was trying to figure out my socionics type.

Lol, as a type 5, I'm not argumentative and I hate conflicts and I like to think I'm peaceful and laidback. I wouldn't really describe myself as gentle though, but maybe I'm biased. And I don't really go out of my way to prevent conflicts like a 9 would be more apt to do. Instead I'll withdraw into my head and detach from the situation.

Actually that may be your 5 showing also (speculating here). Because 5s have a fixation with competency and mastery.

Do you relate to this?:

5s desire to be experts in some subject, not for the status/title, but as a more intrinsic desire. 5s also tend to use their (relative) mastery as a lens for social interaction. 5s want to be useful, so if they're the expert on something, then they can use that to interact with people/society. 5s dread feeling useless and they can feel lost as to what to say in a conversation when the topic isn't some subject they feel competent in.
    Yes I can see what you mean basically Im pretty much like you, if people have issues with me or people critisize I dont reeally care, I wish they didnt but I tend to see it as a natural part of life.

Competency and mastery yes.

But I feel more socially assertive than what a normal 5 seems like, or there is little information about that outthere. Maybe Ive pust mastered it. LOL

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

But I feel more socially assertive than what a normal 5 seems like, or there is little information about that outthere. Maybe Ive pust mastered it. LOL
    Possibly! And it could also be your instincts. If you're a social instinct, you'll probably be more driven and better at social stuff (compared to someone like me who has it as third).
    - Costrin