User Tag List

First 123 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    - How important do you think the intinctual variants are in getting along well with someone else?
    Very. So much so that I'd consider using the instincts on their own long before using the MBTI or the other parts of the Enneagram to guess if people will get along.

- What types do 8s tend to be?
    The MBTI seems to have at best a loose correlation. The two systems address different things and 9 can't be divided into 16, so you have a lot of problems trying to connect the two. I've seen almost every sort of 8. I haven't see an I_F_ 8 yet, that's about it. The most pervasive trend a found, and the only that seems to make much sense, is that 8s are usually Es. But like I said, it's not a tight fit, and there are plenty of Introverted 8s to go around.

Do certain types tend towards having particular instinctual variants?
    My experience as well as my understanding of the system seems to say that there isn't a correlation between Enneagram core types and ones instinctual stacking. They all come in all flavors. I have found no correlation between MBTI an the instincts either. I can't really imagine why their would be a correlation between the MBTI and the instincts, given how radically different they are. Even something that seems to make sense, like me Fe-doms wouldn't have Self=Preservation as their primary instinct, is proven wrong by people on this forum all the time.

I essentially wouldn't try to figure out someone's type in one system by triangulating a conclusion out of the other two systems.

Are there other types than ENFJs that are typically 2s?
    Well, considering what I said above... I will tentatively say that ISFJs, ESFJs, and INFJs are all probable. What usually doesn't seem to happen, or rather is very rare, is for a 2 to be some kind of Thinker.

What do you consider "educated in" to mean? Do you think a lot of people just haven't read those descriptions, or that the significance of the variants' effects is downplayed by many?
    I know you're responding to him, but if I can pitch in: I'd say the instincts are definitely read about less than the other parts of the Enneagram, and in turn, people do underestimate or not even consider their importance.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

and your mother is a tested, or a guessed enfj?

my interpretations of your features (eyes...) might be wrong. you might still be a dominant feeler, but Fi=INFj. but then you could not be a verry typical 2, imo.
    given, than you are a teacher, i also cant believe you are a 4 who desintegrates into 2. (being a teacher requires a rather healthy integration of dominance, i guess)

all the daughters of raving enfj that i know (it's two of them) are best described as nines.

i dont know my own type, btw. i am ambigous enough, to be a nine.

other than that i am 6 and 5 aka paranoid and schizoid, but i am not any of both in a pure fasion. i have a nineish or fourish special effect on top of my 6&5.

my father might be esfj, or he is just a totally insane istj. can't tell.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Thanks Magic. I think BC and you are onto something with the variants. In what ways do you think it affects how you interact? I know that for the couple people I've met with the same variants I tend to be open with my thoughts and ideas (even if I know we don't agree) much more quickly than I normally would feel comfortable being.

Which of the two systems do you feel is most useful to you?

Nanook - she was tested as that. Not that that is always reliable, but it seems to be backed up with what I've seen of ENFJs on the forum as well.

this is how i picture esfp who are or wanna be 8

(modell for vivian westwood)

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Thanks Magic. I think BC and you are onto something with the variants. In what ways do you think it affects how you interact? I know that for the couple people I've met with the same variants I tend to be open with my thoughts and ideas (even if I know we don't agree) much more quickly than I normally would feel comfortable being.
    In short, the instincts basically refer to personal interests, and I mean interests sort of the same way one would mean in "national interest". It influences how people get along because it's a measure of what a person's priotities are. We pursue the major instinct as an end to itself, its likely to contain our life ambition. We neglect and avoid the minor instinct, it is burdensome to us and we often trick ourselves into thinking we don't need it. The median instinct, is fairly neutral, and more a less a device. We tend to it, but we'll sacrifice it for the major instinct if necessary. Often the median instinct becomes a device for the major instinct.

These things are important when considering who you're with. Just imagine after all, if social is your major instinct and it is the other person's minor instinct. Maybe you can form an associative relationship, but it's easy to see how a sharing, reciprocating relationship with such a person would be very difficult.

For the record though, I don't think a complete aligmnet is the best relationshp. This is just my own theory, but I think a couple that relates like this:

A-B-C <> A-C-B

Is healthier than two people that are identical.

Which of the two systems do you feel is most useful to you?
    Do you mean the main Enneagram vs the instincts? If you do, I'd say the instincts, because they are less muddled in almost every way. It seems to me that both the MBTI and Enneagram suffer from an attempt to be too encompassing. There's a lot the instincts won't explain, but at least they are good for their purpose.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Eeeek!!! Ugly ESTP gold chain wearing men is NOT what I'm talking about!!!

MBTI
    ESFJ

- Who else on the board is a 2?
    - How important do you think the intinctual variants are in getting along well with someone else?
    - What types do you tend to be attracted to and how has it worked out?
    1 - 2w1 sx/so
    2 - I don't have a need to get along with everyone although people do seem to like me for some reason. People can come to me with problems and i become so focused, that i think with pure logic and try and get them to rationalise the situation. Or maybe i am just a good friend to have.
    3 - I am attracted to thinkers .. They are walking libraries who can give me more input. Not worked out good so far .. But i still have faith
    “I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Oh sorry Magic - I mean MBTI vs Enneagram. Or do you find them useful for separate types of things? Yes, I wondered if people would be too alike if they had exactly the same variants. So for me, I'd probably mesh best with someone whose were so/sp/sx?

Hello Sas! I know what you mean about Thinkers.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'm a 2, but I don't know enough about the enneagram types to know which types I'm attracted to, so I can't comment.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Oh sorry Magic - I mean MBTI vs Enneagram. Or do you find them useful for separate types of things?
    Difficult choice. I'd say they are about equally useful for different things.

Yes, I wondered if people would be too alike if they had exactly the same variants. So for me, I'd probably mesh best with someone whose were so/sp/sx?
    Yep, you've got it right. Or, as I like to call them S-P-Is. You'd be a S-I-P.
    So much simpler, and neater looking, and all 6 combinations are phonetically pronounceable.

My reasoning is that, obviously, it's good for people to have superordinate goals, so you'll want another social person. But on the other hand, it seems when people share the same minor instinct, they feed each other's weaknesses. I would bet that someone who completely aligns with you would be more appealing on the surface, but I think it would be a mistake to some extents.
    Go to sleep, iguana.