User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: ISTPs enneagram

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    haha, that is something i struggle with constantly.
    my feeling generally is that "being myself" is about directly expressing myself, acting and expressing without any real thought, just letting my instincts and natural self guide my actions. so i think 'feeling free to do as we please' is a huge part of it, personal expression is a big part of "being myself". but also doing the right thing is a huge part. for me it is a feeling that i am in tune with myself and can express myself freely, but also that i am in tune with my morality - and ultimately acting and being true to myself by doing the right thing.

i think we are being 'ourselves' when we don't let our enviroment dictate our freedom. you asked "Can we only be ourselves when we feel free to do as we please?" i am all about expressing myself, but i think the way we learn to be ourselves is by understanding that there are no real restrictions posed on us by the outside world. so when it feels like "i am not free to be myself" i think we need to realize that we are the one holding back from being ourself, and it is not really the enviroment limiting us. i mean, i think we are always free to be ourself at all times, no matter what kind of enviroment we are in. so it is not really as much about 'being free to express yourself', it is more about having the strength to express yourself when it does not seem like you are free to do so.

i mean, i think the real challenege is being in tune with yourself. so i think it is more a battle to become in tune with yourself, rather than already know yourself and battle at trying to express it.
    Cops seem to do a pretty good job on imposing limits Thanks, next time see a worker at home depot I wont prematurely stop flat bed cart surfing Oh my wife is gonna hate this attitude So can I return to driving on sidewalks when a light backs up? Or that with the proper vehicle maintain the attitude "I dont need no stinkin roads!!!" I already embarass people since I frquently park half way on the curbs to maintain a better distance between me and the car parked next to me.

So our key is to push towards Se. I do see what your saying on imposing limits on ourself though.

edit..."I dont need no stinkin roads!!!" Service road this morning backed up far so I went through the grass to get on the highway instead of waiting for something people call "on ramps".

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

haha, yeah i was talking in pretty idealistic terms.

day-to-day though, i for sure butt up against authority and have limitations put on me. that is the sad truth of reality; i know i should be able to do some things but that doesn't mean i can. or they don't make it easy for me to do things, anyway.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    haha, yeah i was talking in pretty idealistic terms.

day-to-day though, i for sure butt up against authority and have limitations put on me. that is the sad truth of reality; i know i should be able to do some things but that doesn't mean i can. or they don't make it easy for me to do things, anyway.
    I know the limitations I put on myself are more along the lines of what I am capable of. I dont like being thought of as better than other people. The limitations I put on myself follow along the lines of being a peacemaker. Its more I dont want to know what I am capable. So I try to raise others up so I can raise myself up.

Any other 9w1s relate to this?

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    I know the limitations I put on myself are more along the lines of what I am capable of. I dont like being thought of as better than other people. The limitations I put on myself follow along the lines of being a peacemaker. Its more I dont want to know what I am capable. So I try to raise others up so I can raise myself up.

Any other 9w1s relate to this?
    Even after writing this I ended up wondering if some of the things I wrote are not true. I question that what I know is right or if its some made up crap. For some reason I cant believe that things I think can be real. I dont know, I will have to dive into this later. No im not having some nervous breakdown, just questioning myself from a detached point of view Time for some more Se just living for today.

If I do change who I am to accommodate each type, can anyone know who I really am? This is so confusing

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

^ get out of my head. Anyway. I've taken it and get 7. But 5 is super close behind.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    ^ get out of my head. Anyway. I've taken it and get 7. But 5 is super close behind.
    Do you have an anger complex? You will do whatever possible to try to keep peace even if it means internally changing who you are?

My 2 complexes seem to be keeping anger within others at bay and not hurting others. I may use 7 to try to make jokes to kinda keep arguments more light hearted, kinda bringing in laughter to keep things from getting to far out of hand. If My parents bicker I will walk in and say "ok, children". It kinda turns it on me a little, but I wont argue so it helps to kill it before it gets out of hand. When it is me and another person I will give in at signs of fustration or do whatever it takes to maintain the peace. I will then try and talk about it at a later date after things have settled down. My P allows me to move on without things being settled and jump back into Se come back to it later.

I hate to see hurt in other people, whether I caused it or someone else caused it. I go into automatic protection mechanism for that person, even if I caused the hurt, whatever my feelings are they will change 180 degrees and go into sympathy or empathy mode(i get confused between the two). Even if the person I hurt gets mad at me I will still hit protection mode for that person.

This actually seems to cause marriage problems and we are gonna have to find a way around it. I hit protection mode for the person who gets hurt when I really care about both parties. It cause me to go up against my wife without even thinking about it. This happened the other night. My mom started in with my wife and I tried to be a peacemaker and my wife got into it with my mom and my mom backed down but both were pretty pissed. Well my son got drug into it by my wife(just by making him do something he didnt want to do that I saw no reason to do and he started to whine) and I went immediatley into protection mode for my son and up against my wife. Its not something I conciously do, its an automatic response. Well one of her complexes built on mine and things went down hill fast.

This seems to line up with the whole peacemaker role.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

^I just befriended you because of this post. I relate to this so much. It's not even funny.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    5's and 7's are contradictory though how are you close to 5? 7's prefer to be enthusiastic and engaging with people to avoid being stuck in their head. 5's are stuck in their head more suffer from an inferiority complex and are not engaging with people.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Do you have an anger complex? You will do whatever possible to try to keep peace even if it means internally changing who you are?

My 2 complexes seem to be keeping anger within others at bay and not hurting others. I may use 7 to try to make jokes to kinda keep arguments more light hearted, kinda bringing in laughter to keep things from getting to far out of hand. If My parents bicker I will walk in and say "ok, children". It kinda turns it on me a little, but I wont argue so it helps to kill it before it gets out of hand. When it is me and another person I will give in at signs of fustration or do whatever it takes to maintain the peace. I will then try and talk about it at a later date after things have settled down. My P allows me to move on without things being settled and jump back into Se come back to it later.

I hate to see hurt in other people, whether I caused it or someone else caused it. I go into automatic protection mechanism for that person, even if I caused the hurt, whatever my feelings are they will change 180 degrees and go into sympathy or empathy mode(i get confused between the two). Even if the person I hurt gets mad at me I will still hit protection mode for that person.

This actually seems to cause marriage problems and we are gonna have to find a way around it. I hit protection mode for the person who gets hurt when I really care about both parties. It cause me to go up against my wife without even thinking about it. This happened the other night. My mom started in with my wife and I tried to be a peacemaker and my wife got into it with my mom and my mom backed down but both were pretty pissed. Well my son got drug into it by my wife(just by making him do something he didnt want to do that I saw no reason to do and he started to whine) and I went immediatley into protection mode for my son and up against my wife. Its not something I conciously do, its an automatic response. Well one of her complexes built on mine and things went down hill fast.

This seems to line up with the whole peacemaker role.
    I think this is common for most ISTPs to have, I have these traits of well of going into "protection mode". There is something about our personality that caters towards the "defensive" instead of "offensive". So even when problems arise to us we act defensively to solve them.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    5's and 7's are contradictory though how are you close to 5? 7's prefer to be enthusiastic and engaging with people to avoid being stuck in their head. 5's are stuck in their head more suffer from an inferiority complex and are not engaging with people.
    Yup. I realize they are opposing. I don't know. Poki just mentioned that I look into 9w1 as I may be that. Since apparently, they can mimic 7's 5's...whatever.
    ~luck favors the ready~