User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

  1. #1
    Senior Member The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Posts
    144

    Default Enneagram and Brain Chemistry

    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

  2. #2
    Occasional Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    4,223

    Default

    Don't really buy it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Don't really buy it.
    Still theoretical, and not tested to my knowledge. It would be interesting to see the results though, no?
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

  4. #4
    Senior Member Happyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    261

    Default

    Oh yeah, brain chemistry and Enneagram/MBTI type. According to the tests I've run in high school it's absolutely valid.

    With high concentration of alcohol in blood people turn to: ESFPs.
    The morning after: ISFJs.

    Being an altruistic NF, that I am, I've run the test on my self as well. Repeatedly.

    And being serious, it's really interesting, but it's like a step back to Aristotle, who was saying just that. Does enneagram is based on chemistry then? MBTI is all about cognitive functions and it sounds WAY more convincing to me. Though, maybe we define our 'internal chemistry' by our cognitive processes - something like increasing level of endorphins by thinking about shiny rainbows and naked people of opposite (usually) sex .. eh... where was I?
    "Act as though it was impossible to fail."
    Dorothea Brande

    I started a real blog!

  5. #5
    Junior Member Lexan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    20

    Default

    I think this in a very interesting theory, but I'm unsure of it's credibility. I think a lot of this is dependent on the individual, not the type/fixation of the individual. Certain trends may be found in certain types, I think that is very much a possibility, but ultimately the activity of certain neurotransmitters occuring in the brain will depend on the individual. A One won't necessarily have medium seratonin activity, low norepinephrine activity and medium dopamine - nor should it be assumed that s/he does.

    This reminds me of how psychiatry is a field that is often put into question - there is no definitive test which determines if a person has a mental illness or not. Any 'definitive' decisions and diagnoses which are made are deduced from observation of the patient's behaviour, but no scientific tests which determine it from brain chemistry or whatnot. This means that determining whether or not this theory is correct is not going to be easy, hence why they haven't done so yet.

    Also, I have difficulty believing that Instinctual Variant is the result of environmental factors, instead of just being inherent, especially considering how they've claimed that the Variant is the result of specific circumstances i.e. Sexual Variant people being the product of homes with a 'primary care-giver'. Don't know about that. Still, this is just an assumption I would make from my own experience, further observation and analysis may yield different findings.

    We'll see.
    'We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give' - Winston Churchill

  6. #6
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    I believe that the empirical observation about types if we "trichotomize" them on the axes of calmn-high strung, happy-sour, super drive-laid back are accurate, however it's harder to directly link them to brain neurotransmitter activity. It's plausible, though, so if tests were to be performed and the theory was validated, I wouldn't be surprised.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  7. #7
    Senior Member The Grand Chameleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w2
    Posts
    144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Happyman View Post
    Oh yeah, brain chemistry and Enneagram/MBTI type. According to the tests I've run in high school it's absolutely valid.

    With high concentration of alcohol in blood people turn to: ESFPs.
    The morning after: ISFJs.

    Being an altruistic NF, that I am, I've run the test on my self as well. Repeatedly.
    Patent this immediately.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lexan View Post
    I think this in a very interesting theory, but I'm unsure of it's credibility. I think a lot of this is dependent on the individual, not the type/fixation of the individual. Certain trends may be found in certain types, I think that is very much a possibility, but ultimately the activity of certain neurotransmitters occuring in the brain will depend on the individual. A One won't necessarily have medium seratonin activity, low norepinephrine activity and medium dopamine - nor should it be assumed that s/he does.

    This reminds me of how psychiatry is a field that is often put into question - there is no definitive test which determines if a person has a mental illness or not. Any 'definitive' decisions and diagnoses which are made are deduced from observation of the patient's behaviour, but no scientific tests which determine it from brain chemistry or whatnot. This means that determining whether or not this theory is correct is not going to be easy, hence why they haven't done so yet.
    .
    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I believe that the empirical observation about types if we "trichotomize" them on the axes of calmn-high strung, happy-sour, super drive-laid back are accurate, however it's harder to directly link them to brain neurotransmitter activity. It's plausible, though, so if tests were to be performed and the theory was validated, I wouldn't be surprised.
    I agree with both of you. Perhaps it is capable to know a certain type and from that, roughly estimate the level of neurotransmitters present. But it would be a much more difficult quest to type based on transmitter levels.

    As far as psychiatry goes, normality is based on what I imagine to be a bell-shaped curve. Mental illnesses and defects are just the deviants that fall outside of "normal" boundaries. If 99% of the population were bipolar, it would no longer be considered bipolar.
    "In the game of chess, you can never let your opponent see your pieces."

  8. #8
    Luctor et emergo Ezra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SLE Ti
    Posts
    534

    Default

    I take issue with this. Allegedly, Sevens have high everything. A lot of Sevens are also ADHD. In fact, a lot of non-Sevens are too. So, given:

    Norepinephrine, along with dopamine, has come to be recognized as playing a large role in attention and focus. For people with ADHD, psychostimulant medications such as methylphenidate (Ritalin/Concerta), dextroamphetamine (Dexedrine), and Adderall (a mixture of dextroamphetamine and racemic amphetamine salts) are prescribed to help increase levels of norepinephrine and dopamine
    How do you explain those with allegedly high personality-embedded norepinephrine and/or dopamine levels needing drugs to increase these levels?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 125
    Last Post: 01-23-2013, 09:13 PM
  2. MBTI and Brain Hemispheres
    By MerkW in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-21-2010, 04:27 AM
  3. Autism and brain types.
    By meanlittlechimp in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-11-2009, 08:50 PM
  4. mbti, enneagram and self-change
    By sleepless in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 09:37 AM
  5. Enneagram and Hormones
    By Metamorphosis in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 02-01-2008, 03:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO