• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Ask any questions about Typology here- Enneagram, MBTI, socionics

psyche

You should start here then: My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics - Judging or Perceiving

The functions are Si, Se, Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, Fi, Fe which are introverted or extroverted versions of the two middle letters of the MBTI types and there are 8 of them. Each of the 16 MBTI types corresponds to a pair of functions, one extroverted and one introverted. In a nutshell, the J or P of your type shows which function you extrovert.

Since you list your type as xNFx, if you are xNFP then you would have Ne which is extroverted iNtuition paired with Fi which is introverted Feeling or if you are xNFJ then you would have Fe which is extroverted Feeling paired with Ni which is introverted iNtuition. That is the first step. It has nothing to do with whether you are introverted or extroverted, everyone has one introverted and one extroverted function that makes up their pair of functions which corresponds with those two middle letters.

If you are an introvert then the first or dominant function would be the introverted one (Ni if you are INFJ and Fi if you are INFP) and if you are an extrovert then your first function would be the extroverted one (Fe if you are ENFJ and Ne if you are ENFP).

This site describes what those functions are and goes into more detail: Jungian Function Theory

Thanks. This is very helpful.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I took an online Socionics test which says I am "SEE." And then it had a diagram with funky symbols in it. What the hell does that mean?

G

garbage

I took an online Socionics test which says I am "SEE." And then it had a diagram with funky symbols in it. What the hell does that mean?

Funky symbols as in white and black circles, triangles, squares, and Ls? Those are symbols for each of the information elements. There's a rationale behind the use of each symbol for its description, but I can't seem to find those. See also: this

If that's not what you're talking about, do you have a link?

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA

It means you are a Sensing Ethical Extrovert, ESFp. The order of sensing then ethical is the order of your first two functions (ethical=F). The Introvert/Extrovert is what the first function is. So SEE = Se Fi.

The black shapes are extroverted functions, the white shapes are introverted functions.

Square=T, L-shape=F, Circle=S, Triangle=N

On the diagram, it's your function layout. Look here for how it works.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Funny that people are asking for vibes whereas they deserve a kick in the head.

I have a question based on XNTPs, but applicable to other types too, I'll probably work out the answer while writing it (as usual). For an INTP, does Ti present itself to the outside world in any way? When interacting with others socially, do they sort of have to extravert their dominant function, or do they simply rely on their secondary function?

I know an ISTP who has once before explained how *something car related* works in exquisite detail while we were talking, so I'm assuming that Se doesn't really get 'extraverted' or adjust to the situation, but has a more preferential influence on thought.

I pose the parallel question for ENTP, and really all other extroverted types.

Actually, I don't think I'm thinking through this the right way, extroversion/introversion is more of a preference, right? So then an ENTP would be capable of using Ti and Ne in any given situation, but they have a preference (or a 'taste' :D) for Ne (and a preference usually comes hand in hand with a strength). Which then results in naturally seeking out possibilities and patterns in the outside world and then breaking them down using Ti. So, when talking, it's most likely that the ENTP type will conjure possibilities, and then crunch them internally as they go using Ti (Which come to think of it, is EXACTLY what I'm doing now). So there's no reason to revert to Ti when introverting, and no reason for an INTP to revert to Ne when extroverting, as each type has it's own thought process. So when talking to an INTP, they will internally think through the logic, and then... well, apply Ne somehow, probably by considering another possibility, which really has quite a perceiving taste to it doesn't it? But shouldn't it require Ne to feed the internal logic with at least one possibility?? I guess that is still a Ti preference, regardless of where it starts, that makes sense.

I would think that the difference between INTP and ISTP then, would be that the leap between possibilities would be dependent on Ne or Se, for an ISTP, they would likely make a concrete transition, progressing from one piece of information to the next (in the sensing fashion), whereas an INTP might see a pattern emerging and intuitively jump to where they think the solution might be, which explains why intuitives are solution orientated and sensors are more focused on procedure.

Yeah, I answered my own question, and have solidified my understanding of MBTI, and I accidentally confirmed that I'm an ENTP... which I've been trying to do for months without any definite solution. Such a joyous moment, ummmm... thanks blackcat???

edit: Actually, by my definitions and etc. I don't think I've quite ruled out INTP, I seem to start with a question produced by Ne, then apply Ti, which doesn't necessarily mean that I prefer Ne or Ti, it just means that I'm using them. Theoretically, an ENTP would spend more time questioning and coming up with ideas than breaking them down, which is why they move through topics so quickly. So really, I need to ask myself whether I prefer to, or perhaps find it easier to, summon up ideas, or break them down. I hear that you naturally use your dominant function without applying much effort, and then consciously apply your secondary function. I'm fairly certain that I'm consciously applying Ti, grinding the possiblities down, which I don't always do, I'm much quicker to ask questions. Okay, problem solved (despite not even setting out to solve it in the first place ;))

I still have one more question left for you: Does my... well, I think you could call it a 'system', work for Fi in some way? I still haven't touched on Judgers either. Do other people understand things in the same way that I just did, or do they all rely on profile descriptions and books?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Jeff you're an SEI. Like, seriously. Lol.

I still have one more question left for you: Does my... well, I think you could call it a 'system', work for Fi in some way? I still haven't touched on Judgers either. Do other people understand things in the same way that I just did, or do they all rely on profile descriptions and books?

Nah it doesn't work for Fi. It probably works for Ti and Ne :D.

And I'd say that how people understand things relies on one of the dichotomies in learning style types. To quote-

My Success and Study Skills Textbook said:
SEQUENTIAL

Sequential learners find it easiest to learn material presented in a logical, ordered progression. They solve problems in a linear, step-by-step manner. They can work with sections of material without yet fully understanding the whole picture. They tend to be stronger when looking at the parts of a whole rather than understanding the whole and dividing it into parts. They learn best when taking in material in a progression from easiest to more complex to most difficult. Most courses are taught sequentially. Sequential learners value faculty who are organized and give clear instructions.

GLOBAL

Global learners learn in fits and starts. They may be lost for days or weeks, unable to solve even the simplest problems or show the most rudimentary understanding until suddenly they "get it". They may feel lost and discouraged when they are struggling with material which most of their fellow students seem to learn easily. Once they get it, however, they tend to see the big picture to an extent that sequential learners rarely achieve. They are often highly creative. Global learners value faculty who are inspiring.

And I'd say you are a Global learner, since things just suddenly "hit you" for no apparent reason. I'm a bit in between the two.

G

garbage

So how does one spot an SEI in the wild? I'm sure that I've got my SEI typed correctly, but overall they've pretty much flown past my radar. As my dual, you'd think that I'd notice them more than I do :doh:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So how does one spot an SEI in the wild? I'm sure that I've got my SEI typed correctly, but overall they've pretty much flown past my radar. As my dual, you'd think that I'd notice them more than I do :doh:

Well I just know that Jeffster sure as hell isn't Gamma (my own quadra). And he just SEEMS like an SEI, it's mostly a feeling, like seeing his socionics Si and Fe play themselves out. It's difficult for me to see him in any other way now.

Spotting Si can be difficult, here is a good post on what Si generally means- Si-PoLR - the16types.info Socionics Forums

That post and the one below it are good, I prefer the one below it. It all makes sense when he explains it that way.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Nah it doesn't work for Fi. It probably works for Ti and Ne :D.

I think it could easily work for Fi, it's just that values would need to be thrown in there, and it might have a different kind of way of breaking things down. I need more info on Fi I think.

And I'd say that how people understand things relies on one of the dichotomies in learning style types. To quote-

And I'd say you are a Global learner, since things just suddenly "hit you" for no apparent reason. I'm a bit in between the two.

You're quite right, it would be much easier if I were sequential. It's a lot harder to get good marks during the year I think. Aren't all intuitives meant to be global learners?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You're quite right, it would be much easier if I were sequential. It's a lot harder to get good marks during the year I think. Aren't all intuitives meant to be global learners?

I wouldn't so say, there is an intuitive and sensing style of learning as well, the others aren't correlated.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4

I think ima sequential.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Coincidence or not, Jaguar has a test for it here.

edit: oh, I see, and it is no coincidence, you blithering thieves!!! :D

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm an MBTI INFJ but socionics INFP. What does this mean? I'm trying to read about socionics but I am not really understanding it.

JTG1984

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
These are my results, what number(s) do I need to know from all of this? Retarded I know...

Type 1 -2
Type 2 5
Type 3 -8
Type 4 1
Type 5 4
Type 6 4
Type 7 -4
Type 8 -7
Type 9 7

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm an MBTI INFJ but socionics INFP. What does this mean? I'm trying to read about socionics but I am not really understanding it.

Well, I guess that means you're a socionics INFP and an MBTI INFJ. :tongue: My best friend is like that. If you relate to everything IEI, including beta quadra, the reinin dichotomies and function use, then that's cool.

These are my results, what number(s) do I need to know from all of this? Retarded I know...

Type 1 -2
Type 2 5
Type 3 -8
Type 4 1
Type 5 4
Type 6 4
Type 7 -4
Type 8 -7
Type 9 7

Well based on what you scored here the enneagram types you'd most likely be are 9w8 and 3w2. Check out the thread in my sig and read about the type-type combinations to see what you are.

Grace

MBTI Type
INTJ
Well, I guess that means you're a socionics INFP and an MBTI INFJ. :tongue: My best friend is like that. If you relate to everything IEI, including beta quadra, the reinin dichotomies and function use, then that's cool.

Yeah, I have no idea what any of that means. reinin dichotomies and beta quadra???