• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] Ask any questions about Typology here- Enneagram, MBTI, socionics

pippi

MBTI Type
xxxx
Thanks for your response.

To be honest, I still don't understand the Se, etc. and the link you posted I'd already visited. The information there presupposes a lot more knowledge of the MBTI than I have. I have yet to find a source that explains in simple language what is meant by having an introverted versus extraverted function, etc. -- or what Se, etc. even mean. If you know of a source, I'd love to be referred to it. But I appreciate your response.

You should start here then: My MBTI Personality Type - MBTI Basics - Judging or Perceiving

The functions are Si, Se, Ni, Ne, Ti, Te, Fi, Fe which are introverted or extroverted versions of the two middle letters of the MBTI types and there are 8 of them. Each of the 16 MBTI types corresponds to a pair of functions, one extroverted and one introverted. In a nutshell, the J or P of your type shows which function you extrovert.

Since you list your type as xNFx, if you are xNFP then you would have Ne which is extroverted iNtuition paired with Fi which is introverted Feeling or if you are xNFJ then you would have Fe which is extroverted Feeling paired with Ni which is introverted iNtuition. That is the first step. It has nothing to do with whether you are introverted or extroverted, everyone has one introverted and one extroverted function that makes up their pair of functions which corresponds with those two middle letters.

If you are an introvert then the first or dominant function would be the introverted one (Ni if you are INFJ and Fi if you are INFP) and if you are an extrovert then your first function would be the extroverted one (Fe if you are ENFJ and Ne if you are ENFP).

This site describes what those functions are and goes into more detail: Jungian Function Theory

psyche

I have another question:

Is it possible to be a P at home and a J at work? More accurately....I don't work in an office. I do a lot of work from home and though I work in an institution, much of my work is self-structured. My work is built into my life and isn't just a 9-5 gig.

I have so many elements of boht P and J I can't decide which I am. Professionally, I'm very much J. Personally, I'm very J but with a lot of P as well. Can these two functions be split between personal and professional life?

Thanks.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
I have another question:

Is it possible to be a P at home and a J at work? More accurately....I don't work in an office. I do a lot of work from home and though I work in an institution, much of my work is self-structured. My work is built into my life and isn't just a 9-5 gig.

I have so many elements of boht P and J I can't decide which I am. Professionally, I'm very much J. Personally, I'm very J but with a lot of P as well. Can these two functions be split between personal and professional life?

Thanks.

Same here. The best i could think of was that the professional world (work) is designed around SJ. Thus we adapt to it and function that way when exposed to its repetition. SJ style becomes an engrained habit at work due to always trying to make adaptation easier. Kinda like P is your mother tongue, then you are introduced to the language of J and are raised on J outside the home, yet use P around the family by instinct. Probably so the mother tongue doesn't die off.

bornslippy

I've been struggling to settle on my enneatype. I have a few other posts in this forum for additional information. I definitely carry a strong 3 energy, but can't determine if this is my core type or a strong wing or connection. Most likely explanation is 3w4, though I've not read descriptions for this variant. If this is the case, superficially I'd describe myself as a Core 3 who was told he was gifted as a child (w4). After achieving top honors in grade school with no after hours effort (never learned value of hard work but expected achievement), subsequently moved to enrichment classes (increased difficulty), lost support of and respect for parents (leaning heavier on 4, moving away from 2's motivation to produce socially accepted results and to 4's individual achievement ie. status in a gaming alliance) and disintegrated emotionally to 9 (powered in large part by 6's ability to generate "what if's" and plausible catastrophe, but chiefly realized through feeling the need to achieve but not helping self to do so; longing for an external force to get me going in the right direction -- a rescuer, a lightning bolt, a eureka moment) and began a routine of instant gratification seeking / narcotizing since early teens with video games, websites and substances. Learned to wear a 3's face while minimizing relevant output. Or at least learned to think of one's output as minimal where compared to the achievements of peerage.

Alternatively I'm a Core 6 with a strong connection to 3 (parental + peer groups), detachment explained by connection to 5, and narcotization is gluttony by 7.

Or, I'm 4w3. Connections to 3 and 2 would be explained, as is self-imposed pressure to appear like "good boy" ideal of perfection to others.

3w4 still seems most reasonable though, with little access to gratitude, little esteem in what I have achieved (focus on what I didn't accomplish / what I could have accomplished. Maybe I don't have a question, but rather please point out if/how I have misused the system.

Lease access to E8 clearly, else I'd be asking these questions of my personal authority :p

Also, any help with my variant stack? No idea where to start.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, any help with my variant stack? No idea where to start.

Introduction to Instinctual Subtypes - the enneagram ...info from the underground

As for the rest of your issue, I have no idea what to say. You seem to have thought this out a lot. All I can tell you is to try to relate to the core motivations of the type, and check for integration/disintegration patterns within you.

Thanks.

No they can't. P and J is determined by cognitive functions more than anything.

bornslippy

Can you provide examples of E4 integrating/disintegrating? How to distinguish between 3w4 and 4w3?

While I do value achievement, I relate more to the E3 descriptor "performer" for it's dual meaning as achiever or actor.

Are there traits that a 3w4 could not have?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Check these out- Descriptions of the Enneagram Wings

^I link this way too much, but they are the best type descriptions (with wings included).

E4 takes on some traits of the 1 in integration, and of the 2 in disintegration. I can probably get an external source to help you on that one but she isn't available right now.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because everyone on the internet is an N!

To be honest the only real way that I can determine S vs N is looking for function use. Using the dichotomy itself leads to really really inaccurate results. The definitions given for S vs N are generally ridiculous too.

As for why, it's because you're an INTJ. :)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Vibes. That's how I type everyone.

I'm guessing you just don't relate to a few things about INTJs. Like what? There is just no way in hell you're an ENTP, I don't get an EXXP vibe from you whatsoever.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Vibes. That's how I type everyone.

I'm guessing you just don't relate to a few things about INTJs. Like what? There is just no way in hell you're an ENTP, I don't get an EXXP vibe from you whatsoever.

The whole being smart and wanting to rule the world.

I think I kinda grew out of that. I feel like I've grown out of a lot of things having to do with INTJ-dom which is supposedly impossible because I'm only 17. So therefore INTJ must be wrong.

Or so the logic goes.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The whole being smart and wanting to rule the world.

I think I kinda grew out of that. I feel like I've grown out of a lot of things having to do with INTJ-dom which is supposedly impossible because I'm only 17. So therefore INTJ must be wrong.

Or so the logic goes.

Lol but those things don't really have to do with being an INTJ!

So basically you know but want more understanding as to why... Well I can't really give that for you.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Lol but those things don't really have to do with being an INTJ!

So basically you know but want more understanding as to why... Well I can't really give that for you.

How come there are so many scary whackjobs on the internet that claim to be INTJs? How do I not become associated with these people while still being an INTJ?

Oh, and just for kicks -- what's my enneatype.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
How come there are so many scary whackjobs on the internet that claim to be INTJs? How do I not become associated with these people while still being an INTJ?

Oh, and just for kicks -- what's my enneatype.

This is why I removed my type from listing. As for enneagram, see the links I've posted on the previous page. I'm not linking that damn thing again when it's right there.

...Okay fine. Descriptions of the Enneagram Wings

Also look for integration and disintegration. And stuff. Yeah yeah.

bornslippy

Haphazard:

Recently worked with an iNTj. Cool guy, sociable, good with the ladies, athletic, training as a CA.

1) Apply yourself intellectually. Embrace your NTJ orderliness.
2) Team sports or rec leagues. Fitness + socialization training. Exercise also relieves potential need to be a sarcastic dick (which I find endearing, but most find wearing).

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
This is why I removed my type from listing. As for enneagram, see the links I've posted on the previous page. I'm not linking that damn thing again when it's right there.

...Okay fine. Descriptions of the Enneagram Wings

Also look for integration and disintegration. And stuff. Yeah yeah.

Aww. I thought you'd use your magical vibe-ness... or something.

Can I be a 6w5?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL 6w5 was actually my initial vibe! Holy crap! :D

Now that's weird.

funny-pictures-coolness-cat-leans.jpg