• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

...Enneagram Corner

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
Hello my bipedalled friend...several hundred posts in two months on boards that analyze inner stuff like personality makes type 9 unlikely. 9s aren't the most prolific posters when it comes to all the nooks and crannies of their mind. Neither are 3s for that matter.
Nines can post a lot of stuff about personality systems and about themselves, but they don`t tend to dig deep into their inner life. There seems to be a defense mechanism at work. They can for instance do tests after tests to determine their personality type or they engage in discussions about the enneagram, but it`s more on the surface. Nines often think they do a lot, but their activity really is a way to avoid doing the essential things.

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nines can post a lot of stuff about personality systems and about themselves, but they don`t tend to dig deep into their inner life. There seems to be a defense mechanism at work. They can for instance do tests after tests to determine their personality type or they engage in discussions about the enneagram, but it`s more on the surface. Nines often think they do a lot, but their activity really is a way to avoid doing the essential things.

I don't agree with your generalization above, but I am very curious how you came to this conclusion? I agree that the profile of an E9 emphasizes accommodation, "keeping the peace", even incorporating characteristics of other types, but that doesn't indicate that there is not introspection, questioning, examination of the core motivation/fear relationship when these patterns are recognized upon self-exam.

Please share with me what are the "essential things" that aren't superficial that other types are more prone to do...perhaps I am another type, or perhaps I am a 9 that doesn't fit your assumptions. Just wondering.

Delphyne

MBTI Type
INFP
I don't agree with your generalization above, but I am very curious how you came to this conclusion? I agree that the profile of an E9 emphasizes accommodation, "keeping the peace", even incorporating characteristics of other types, but that doesn't indicate that there is not introspection, questioning, examination of the core motivation/fear relationship when these patterns are recognized upon self-exam.
The Nine`s passion is sloth. That doesn`t mean that Nines are necessarily lazy in the most obvious sense, Claudio Naranjo rather calls it psycho-spiritual sloth.

Certainly Nines do introspection, questioning and so on, but only to a certain point. If their inner peace is in jeopardy, they don`t want go any further. Their defense mechanism can lead them to do a lot of things just to avoid crossing the point where their inner peace will shatter. This is mostly unconscious and Nines are normally eager to tell that they put a lot effort into their introspection, but they really circle around the surface.

Please share with me what are the "essential things" that aren't superficial that other types are more prone to do...perhaps I am another type, or perhaps I am a 9 that doesn't fit your assumptions. Just wondering.

It`s not really my assumption since I`m not the first to come up with this. Also this pattern isn`t restricted to the spirituality and personality, but rather happens with everyday things. For example, a Nine once told that he made a to-do list in order of importance as an exercise, but then he automatically devoted his time doing the most unimportant things on his list.

Why do you think you`re a Nine?

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
No, I'm not trust me. Descriptions of the Enneagram Wings <- 9w8 fits perfectly on that, sx/so of the 9 on this Nine Stacks - the enneagram ...info from the underground

You can't really tell just from this. I've been diplomatic with you in this thread to get information. Probably not 9w8, I'm being providing for you, since YOU are giving me the information that I seek. 9w8s aren't exactly tactful I've read... and my trying I guess would make you see the 1 wing.

Most 9w8 descriptions on the net are garbage so I don't use them but if you want to use them for yourself be my guest.

And yes...9w8s have an ego in not being easily agitated. 9w8 is calmness(9) from a position of strength(8). Passive aggressiveness is more 9w1 since 9w8s see passive-aggressiveness as weakness...similar to core 8s there.

The more and more you talk the less and less 9w8 you seem.

Dark Razor

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Could you provide some information on 8w7, I'd be curious ;).

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^Interesting! I just love this back and forth discussion. I came to a tentative conclusion of being a 9 after reading a book on the typology many years ago, and discussing it with a friend to get her feedback. I didn't want to take a test right away because I felt it would inhibit my own self-reflection if I were already given a number as a starting point. After reading each type I had great difficulty discerning whether I was that type or not, making arguments for and against for each type; seeing myself in each type. When I came to the last one, it struck a chord in me and certainly seemed to relate to past behaviors and core motivations. Not to mention, I work in a field that is principally based around accommodation and building concensus, when possible. I will say that I also identify strongly with 1 and 2 as well.

When I finally did take the test, I came up with 1w9, 9w1, 1w2 and 2w3. After looking at all of these holistically (taking into account the order of variants I have) I identified closest to 9w8 because of my aggressive, persistent nature when taking on a challenge. I found the descriptions of 9w8 sx/so to have some uncanny similarities to myself, even to the point of explaining some very strong reactions that people have had to me. Considering the different variables in different types I also ruled them out.

I do know that when I have pushed myself to really look beneath my own actions and get to my core motivation it is not always pretty, but in those moments there is some exhiliaration in understanding myself further. To know my dark nature, is to truly know myself. There is beauty in that.

So perhaps I'm not a 9...

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oops, sorry, my last post was directed to Delphyne's question. If anyone else would like to chime in that would be cool, too.;)

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Any know where ENTPs in general fit in Ennaegram?

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

It's strange, but the way you're wording this makes it sound like we consciously don't dig deep. Digging deep is a conscious effort for me (edited past sentence in, see? I have to consciously do it and relate it to myself). I think that yes, 9's don't dig deep at first, but that doesn't stop us from getting deep if we want to. I'm a human being, if I think about getting deep, then I will. Simple as that. That's what I do when I see my posts need some more depth, I'll give them some. Even if it's not a first instinct to do so. I find myself editing my posts to add said depth a lot.

Certainly Nines do introspection, questioning and so on, but only to a certain point. If their inner peace is in jeopardy, they don`t want go any further. Their defense mechanism can lead them to do a lot of things just to avoid crossing the point where their inner peace will shatter. This is mostly unconscious and Nines are normally eager to tell that they put a lot effort into their introspection, but they really circle around the surface.

I find this true for the most part, but this doesn't mean that I won't cross my comfort zone if I see that something needs to change, even if it means shattering the peace. I can do a good deal of introspection when I see it as needed... or when I need to "find" something within me. But mostly I'm not introspecting and I'm thinking about something else, and usually thinking about something else inspires me to introspect to see how I feel about what I was thinking about and such. But then I just go back to thinking about something else.

Keep in mind that on the 9 levels of health of an enneagram type (I've read about this), I related to the 1 on the 9's health level, being the best. So yeah. I think it's silly to not have a sense of self or feel that you, the individual aren't important.

Any know where ENTPs in general fit in Ennaegram?

Check out the 7 or 8 first, then check out the 3 or 6 possibly. But anything is possible. Read these short and sweet descriptions- 9types.com - Enneagram tests, type descriptions, forums Descriptions of the Enneagram Wings

MellowMarcello

Permabanned

That's a good way of explaining it...though I'd add that's primarily 9w1...especially the inner peace "shattering". The w1 adds a brittle nature to the inner peace that seems one step away from shattering whereas the w8 is a more robust inner peace...more from a position of strength.

9w8 is I choose to be calm from a position of strength...9w1 is I want to hold onto being calm.

statuesquechica

MBTI Type
INFj
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Thanks Marcello for your words of wisdsom:smooch:

You are such a nice kitty. What type are you?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
okay, so then I'm a 6w5 or a 4w5?? that's interesting... I can't trust the type descriptions anymore :unsure: I always thought that threes are more ambitious than I.

I just took a short test from some enneagram institute site or something, and It came out even between 4 and 5. The same test pinned me as a 5 not so long ago. Does this mean that I'm a 4w5?

I re-did the test, putting in slightly different answers, and came out even more 4w5 like... that's interesting, so maybe I'm not an ENTP?

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
okay, so then I'm a 6w5 or a 4w5?? that's interesting... I can't trust the type descriptions anymore :unsure: I always thought that threes are more ambitious than I.

I just took a short test from some enneagram institute site or something, and It came out even between 4 and 5. The same test pinned me as a 5 not so long ago. Does this mean that I'm a 4w5?

I re-did the test, putting in slightly different answers, and came out even more 4w5 like... that's interesting, so maybe I'm not an ENTP?

4w5 is doubtful...the 4w5 writing style is very layered and distinguished...well the 4w5 ego is in being very layered therefore a complex personality and the writing style reflects that.

Ambition is something I wouldn't emphasize for three. All threes have a deep-seated awe of their evolution of the person they are in the process of becoming and are very aware of how they come across to others.

Reading a Riso and Hudson book beats taking a test.

You sound ENTP and a double-head type.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
4w5 is doubtful...the 4w5 writing style is very layered and distinguished...well the 4w5 ego is in being very layered therefore a complex personality and the writing style reflects that.

Ambition is something I wouldn't emphasize for three. All threes have a deep-seated awe of their evolution of the person they are in the process of becoming and are very aware of how they come across to others.

Reading a Riso and Hudson book beats taking a test.

You sound ENTP and a double-head type.

Awesome, so you can have two core types, or is that not what double-head means? I'll try my hand at reading one of these books of yours, should be fun. Would you have any idea which types could possibly be the head types? ... that is, assuming that I actually have a double head type in the first place...

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Hello once again my bipedalled friend...

5w6,6w5,6w7,7w6...those are the double-head types(type plus wing)

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Hello my bipedalled friends out there...if you have an enneagram question don't let my beauty intimidate you.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hello once again my bipedalled friend...

5w6,6w5,6w7,7w6...those are the double-head types(type plus wing)

That makes sense, thank you Marcello and may your many ridiculously crazy quests for knowledge be as fruitful as your frivolous wives were back in the days. :newwink: