• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI=Enneagram?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Your avatar is so strange. Because there are bolting question marks behind him, yet he's standing there blinking. It gives me much tension to watch!
heh heh heh, it's nothing like that panda that turns into a dragon thing though, that one had me transfixed as soon as I figured out that it moves. :shock:

Sean Penn

details?

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
The Enneagram folks claim that one's E-type is determined by experiences in childhood, especially how one relates to one's parents. For example, my parents were divorced when I was 4 and my stepdad was more of a buddy and friend then a proper father figure, which aparently fits with me being a 1w2. While a INFJ that was alienated from both parents would become a 4.

MBTI type, on the other hand, seems to be something one is born with.
Yeah, another way of putting the same thing!

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESFP type 7 here, that's some nice synergy :)
I've got an 8 wing that makes me a little more grounded I spose, though. Makes me a "realist". I think that it would make more sense for me to have a 6 wing. Oh well, we can't all be synergistic. (Is that even a word?)
Sometimes I think I might be a 9 though- which would be a whole different story. 7 makes a little more sense for me I think.

deleted
heh heh heh, it's nothing like that panda that turns into a dragon thing though, that one had me transfixed as soon as I figured out that it moves. :shock:

Hah. Yeah I think ajblaise is a panda trainer, so he's able to perceive the heart of the panda like that.

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Good evening my bipedalled friends.

MBTI and enneagram are two different systems so they should be treated as such. As you were...

~Marcello~
1000+ Youtubeable Exemplars across 108 Type-Wing-Stacking Combinations
Serious Enneagram Enthusiasts Welcome

Last edited by a moderator:

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
ESFP type 7 here, that's some nice synergy :)
I've got an 8 wing that makes me a little more grounded I spose, though. Makes me a "realist". I think that it would make more sense for me to have a 6 wing. Oh well, we can't all be synergistic. (Is that even a word?)
Sometimes I think I might be a 9 though- which would be a whole different story. 7 makes a little more sense for me I think.

Hello my bipedalled friend.

7w6s have a fantasy side to them...to contrast with the 7w8 realist level. Both have escapism issues. 7w6s "check in" unlike 7w8s who are more primal/badass. 7w6s also seem to be bothered by the negative stereotypes of 7...the shallowness and insensitivity and always being happy etc. 7w6s are way more endearing from their w6.

Now 7s and 9s that's a heck of a difference. I've never seen a 9 that self-typed as a 7 as seven is way too uptempo for a 9. But I have seen a few 7s mistype as 9s. 7s underestimate their effect on others...9s overestimate their effect on others. 7s reframe avoiding pain as avoiding unpleasantness while 9s zone out and hope their troubles will dissolve and dissappear. 7s overestimate their abilities while 9s underestimate them. 7s are almost all extroverts while 9s are almost all introverts.

~Marcello~

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Yeah, another way of putting the same thing!

Hello my bipedalled friend.

People are born with their etypes. Your upbringing determines how your etype is expressed.

Think of the etypes like trees...like cats and dogs and rabbits. The etypes are far enough apart from their cadences...speech patterns...predominant streams of consciousness...etc...to be treated as being physiologically different...so instead of wondering if someone is say a 5 or a 6...it's whether a person belongs to the 5 tree or the 6 tree.

~Marcello~

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
The first dial-up BBS I logged onto in, I think, 1993, was a rather large local board called The Kobayashi Alternative. It was all novel and a bit magical. Everyone had a unique user name that tended not to correspond to his or her real name or persona.

I was maybe fourteen at the time, and initially I misread this as an exercise in role playing. I had arbitrarily chosen the name "Wizard Guy"; I thus, for several weeks, subjected everyone I encountered to faux Shakespearian dialect and syntax. I drew many irritated responses.

Then I realized the whole point of the BBS was to foster discussion, rather than to play identity games. So I quit it.

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
INDEED...

But why should type change? If a person wanders away for years and returns home...the parents recognize him and go "That's my Johnny!"...so why should etype change if etype is an essential part of Johnny? Besides...if the enneagram were designed for type to change throughout life it would lose any usefulness as a personality typology.

~Marcello~

G

garbage

But why should type change? If a person wanders away for years and returns home...the parents recognize him and go "That's my Johnny!"...so why should etype change if etype is an essential part of Johnny? Besides...if the enneagram were designed for type to change throughout life it would lose any usefulness as a personality typology.

If Enneagram is used as a starting point for one to discover his own motivations and underlying driving forces, it'd certainly still be useful even if it were to change over time, wouldn't it?

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Naah...the enneagram would just be some new age garbage that people use to delude themselves. Can you see how ridiculous it would be to say...from age 14 to 17 I was an 8...from 17 to 24 I was a 3...so now that I know about this wonderful thing called enneagram integration I'll integrate to 6...then when I ascend the health levels again I'll be a 9. It would cease to be a typology and instead be a total joke.

It makes me wanna puke when people go "me showed some backbone and put my foot down...me was 8ish today" or some other overly-simplistic reductionist garbage. But again that type of thinking is ideal for those who want to avoid the hard truth about themselves and focus on the superficial aspects of the types.

It really is a good system if used correctly...assuming it is used correctly.

~Marcello~
Typewatch.net

Last edited:

MellowMarcello

Permabanned
Like Aslan...one day I shall return...

2735865268_daf77ddd3f.jpg
3259608045_03f2c14c8d_m.jpg

Typewatch.net

1000+ typed youtubeable exemplars
Enneagram enthusiasts welcome

Unique

Enneagram is bad

I don't really relate to any of the types on there, I'm apparently a 3 which probably is the closest but still not me

G

garbage

Enneagram is bad

I don't really relate to any of the types on there, I'm apparently a 3 which probably is the closest but still not me

It's interesting that some systems seem better than others in describing certain people. Big Five comes a lot closer than MBTI to "fitting" me, but others have had problems with it. Enneagram is a slightly fit for me than MBTI, too.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What are most 3w2s (charmer) like in comparison to 7w6 (entertainer)?

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Nothing fits me with Enneagram. If I take Enneagram tests I get random results which are different every time I take it. Enneagram = :(

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INDEED...

~Marcello~

My understanding from what research I've done on the topic is that Etype is formed through ones early years and once set remains as a sort of root. We can intigrate or disintigrate from our main type or our wing type (tho that is less common) and when healthy experience aspects of the other types through integration/growth over time, but no matter how much we develop, our core Etype will be what we first became. It is also my understanding that the Enneagram is less a tool for typing than it is for self analysis and personal growth and development.

MBTI on the other hand is what we are born as, and even if we develop to become somethign that appears to be vastly different from our rtue type, our natural born preferences will still be there exerting a subconscious pull and influencing us in subtle ways.

As for the correlation between them, I beleive Cogdecree was working on such a project through surveys not long ago, but I don't know if anything ever came of it (I was/am looking forward to his/her findings).

From my point of view, MBTI is the core and Ennegram further shapes that core in irrevocable ways, but it is the environment of youth what is the doing the shaping. Theoretically, any MBTI type can be any Etype, but some will be more common and others virtually non existant, but the EType when combines with MBTI helps explain some of the differences between people of the same MBTI type and might also explain why some of us have a harder time pinpointing both our true MBTI type and our core Etype (I'm still uncertain of my Etype and trying to work through several possibilities as I research it furhter)

Kungpowish

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
two
My understanding from what research I've done on the topic is that Etype is formed through ones early years and once set remains as a sort of root. We can intigrate or disintigrate from our main type or our wing type (tho that is less common) and when healthy experience aspects of the other types through integration/growth over time, but no matter how much we develop, our core Etype will be what we first became. It is also my understanding that the Enneagram is less a tool for typing than it is for self analysis and personal growth and development.

MBTI on the other hand is what we are born as, and even if we develop to become somethign that appears to be vastly different from our rtue type, our natural born preferences will still be there exerting a subconscious pull and influencing us in subtle ways.

As for the correlation between them, I beleive Cogdecree was working on such a project through surveys not long ago, but I don't know if anything ever came of it (I was/am looking forward to his/her findings).

From my point of view, MBTI is the core and Ennegram further shapes that core in irrevocable ways, but it is the environment of youth what is the doing the shaping. Theoretically, any MBTI type can be any Etype, but some will be more common and others virtually non existant, but the EType when combines with MBTI helps explain some of the differences between people of the same MBTI type and might also explain why some of us have a harder time pinpointing both our true MBTI type and our core Etype (I'm still uncertain of my Etype and trying to work through several possibilities as I research it furhter)

I don't think anything is irrevocable. Sure we tend to stay the same kind of persona throughout our lives, but the mind is inherently changeable and while it would be surprising, I think someone's etype or MBTI type COULD change, that may not be the accepted theory but I just don't think people are ever fixed entirely.