• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI=Enneagram?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
MBTI =/= enneagram =/= socionics :lol:
I don't know which type I am in any of these... although I'm half sure that I'm an ENTP at least. I know that I favor enneagram types 7, 3 and 9... but I have no idea which one dominates. Supposedly 7 and 3 are rather ENTP like, and 9 rather INFP like, It correlates somewhat, but they are supposed to be separate. We need some S types to come and point out the differences between them all I think.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think MBTI "influences" anything, including me.
But seriously, FWIW, I'm an Ennegram 8.
While there are many websites that discuss 8's, I found one in particular,
that was pretty accurate.
My problem with MBTI profiles is they are too superficial.

By the way, good for you that you help others to be the best they can be.
Are you a teacher or a personal coach?

I think the problem is that they are actually too nice. If you look into the big five and SLOAN types, you'll notice that they are rather negative and point out the worst case scenarios. I think this works better, as it encourages you to balance yourself out a bit rather than favor your specific type and encourage typical behaviors exhibited.

Sentura

Phoenix Incarnate
MBTI Type
ENXP
Enneagram
1w9
an INTJ being 1w9?! i am 1w9... although i'd be inclined to believe that there is also some 4 and 5 going on in me.

Jaguar

I think the problem is that they are actually too nice. If you look into the big five and SLOAN types, you'll notice that they are rather negative and point out the worst case scenarios. I think this works better, as it encourages you to balance yourself out a bit rather than favor your specific type and encourage typical behaviors exhibited.

I see way too many people using type as a weapon against others.
Seriously, it's a ridiculous thread that runs through the entire fabric of this forum.
Just look at some of the subject titles.
I agree with you about seeking balance.
Absolutely.

Kungpowish

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
two
I don't think MBTI "influences" anything, including me.
But seriously, FWIW, I'm an Ennegram 8.
While there are many websites that discuss 8's, I found one in particular,
that was pretty accurate.
My problem with MBTI profiles is they are too superficial.

By the way, good for you that you help others to be the best they can be.
Are you a teacher or a personal coach?

Actually I'm still in school but I do my best to help anyone who wants me. Occasionally I have to watch out for people just wanting me to do things for them, but in most cases people just want a helping hand and I've got two:)

Kungpowish

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
two

I did notice that all of the types seem to be really awesome people, but I don;t think that is necessarily bad. Sometimes just being told you're a good person can help you become one.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
MBTI =/= enneagram =/= socionics :lol:
I don't know which type I am in any of these... although I'm half sure that I'm an ENTP at least. I know that I favor enneagram types 7, 3 and 9... but I have no idea which one dominates. Supposedly 7 and 3 are rather ENTP like, and 9 rather INFP like, It correlates somewhat, but they are supposed to be separate. We need some S types to come and point out the differences between them all I think.

i'm an enfp type 7 but i think it's pretty common for both enfp/entp.

i can definitely tell the difference between the mbti types that share the same enneagram and the ones that don't....the enfp/entps that are type 7 are way sillier and take things less seriously than the ones that are type 4 or 8 or 9.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did notice that all of the types seem to be really awesome people, but I don;t think that is necessarily bad. Sometimes just being told you're a good person can help you become one.

It probably depends on what kind of person you are. If you run into a type description that describes the person you really want to become, you'll probably start idealizing yourself. It can help, as you try to live up to the best aspects of your type (which probably comes easy, as you are that type).

Maybe the problem is just us... or maybe we're just misinterpreting some people's intentions when they start to complain about the flaws of any particular type.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Enneagram dictates behavioral tendencies, MBTI dictates personality tendencies. They mesh together quite well. 8w9 makes a lot of sense for me.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't know why, but 8 surprises me for INFP...

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I'm a INFJ 1w2 sx/sp/so. The instinctual hierarchy explains very well my having 4 truly close friends and few others.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, the MBTI is essentially mechanical; it describes the way a person's mind tends to process things. The Enneagram, meanwhile, seems largely based on the nine basic human needs. It's plausible for two people who are otherwise wired similarly to be needy in different ways, depending on their experiences. So although there may be some vague tendencies (INTPs and Type 5, say), I shouldn't be surprised if there were more variance than not.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, the MBTI is essentially mechanical; it describes the way a person's mind tends to process things. The Enneagram, meanwhile, seems largely based on the nine basic human needs. It's plausible for two people who are otherwise wired similarly to be needy in different ways, depending on their experiences. So although there may be some vague tendencies (INTPs and Type 5, say), I shouldn't be surprised if there were more variance than not.
The Enneagram folks claim that one's E-type is determined by experiences in childhood, especially how one relates to one's parents. For example, my parents were divorced when I was 4 and my stepdad was more of a buddy and friend then a proper father figure, which aparently fits with me being a 1w2. While a INFJ that was alienated from both parents would become a 4.

MBTI type, on the other hand, seems to be something one is born with.