User Tag List

First 456

Thread: MBTI=Enneagram?

Banned

Naah...the enneagram would just be some new age garbage that people use to delude themselves. Can you see how ridiculous it would be to say...from age 14 to 17 I was an 8...from 17 to 24 I was a 3...so now that I know about this wonderful thing called enneagram integration I'll integrate to 6...then when I ascend the health levels again I'll be a 9. It would cease to be a typology and instead be a total joke.

It makes me wanna puke when people go "me showed some backbone and put my foot down...me was 8ish today" or some other overly-simplistic reductionist garbage. But again that type of thinking is ideal for those who want to avoid the hard truth about themselves and focus on the superficial aspects of the types.

It really is a good system if used correctly...assuming it is used correctly.

~Marcello~
    Typewatch.net
    Last edited by MellowMarcello; 05-18-2009 at 10:47 PM.

Banned

Like Aslan...one day I shall return...

Typewatch.net

1000+ typed youtubeable exemplars
    Enneagram enthusiasts welcome

Enneagram is bad

I don't really relate to any of the types on there, I'm apparently a 3 which probably is the closest but still not me

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    Enneagram is bad

I don't really relate to any of the types on there, I'm apparently a 3 which probably is the closest but still not me
    It's interesting that some systems seem better than others in describing certain people. Big Five comes a lot closer than MBTI to "fitting" me, but others have had problems with it. Enneagram is a slightly fit for me than MBTI, too.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

What are most 3w2s (charmer) like in comparison to 7w6 (entertainer)?
    5 3 9

your resident asshole

Nothing fits me with Enneagram. If I take Enneagram tests I get random results which are different every time I take it. Enneagram =

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MellowMarcello View Post
    INDEED...

But why should type change? If a person wanders away for years and returns home...the parents recognize him and go "That's my Johnny!"...so why should etype change if etype is an essential part of Johnny? Besides...if the enneagram were designed for type to change throughout life it would lose any usefulness as a personality typology.

~Marcello~
    My understanding from what research I've done on the topic is that Etype is formed through ones early years and once set remains as a sort of root. We can intigrate or disintigrate from our main type or our wing type (tho that is less common) and when healthy experience aspects of the other types through integration/growth over time, but no matter how much we develop, our core Etype will be what we first became. It is also my understanding that the Enneagram is less a tool for typing than it is for self analysis and personal growth and development.

MBTI on the other hand is what we are born as, and even if we develop to become somethign that appears to be vastly different from our rtue type, our natural born preferences will still be there exerting a subconscious pull and influencing us in subtle ways.

As for the correlation between them, I beleive Cogdecree was working on such a project through surveys not long ago, but I don't know if anything ever came of it (I was/am looking forward to his/her findings).

From my point of view, MBTI is the core and Ennegram further shapes that core in irrevocable ways, but it is the environment of youth what is the doing the shaping. Theoretically, any MBTI type can be any Etype, but some will be more common and others virtually non existant, but the EType when combines with MBTI helps explain some of the differences between people of the same MBTI type and might also explain why some of us have a harder time pinpointing both our true MBTI type and our core Etype (I'm still uncertain of my Etype and trying to work through several possibilities as I research it furhter)

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    two
    Socionics
    ESE

Quote Originally Posted by TenebrousReflection View Post
    My understanding from what research I've done on the topic is that Etype is formed through ones early years and once set remains as a sort of root. We can intigrate or disintigrate from our main type or our wing type (tho that is less common) and when healthy experience aspects of the other types through integration/growth over time, but no matter how much we develop, our core Etype will be what we first became. It is also my understanding that the Enneagram is less a tool for typing than it is for self analysis and personal growth and development.

MBTI on the other hand is what we are born as, and even if we develop to become somethign that appears to be vastly different from our rtue type, our natural born preferences will still be there exerting a subconscious pull and influencing us in subtle ways.

As for the correlation between them, I beleive Cogdecree was working on such a project through surveys not long ago, but I don't know if anything ever came of it (I was/am looking forward to his/her findings).

From my point of view, MBTI is the core and Ennegram further shapes that core in irrevocable ways, but it is the environment of youth what is the doing the shaping. Theoretically, any MBTI type can be any Etype, but some will be more common and others virtually non existant, but the EType when combines with MBTI helps explain some of the differences between people of the same MBTI type and might also explain why some of us have a harder time pinpointing both our true MBTI type and our core Etype (I'm still uncertain of my Etype and trying to work through several possibilities as I research it furhter)
    I don't think anything is irrevocable. Sure we tend to stay the same kind of persona throughout our lives, but the mind is inherently changeable and while it would be surprising, I think someone's etype or MBTI type COULD change, that may not be the accepted theory but I just don't think people are ever fixed entirely.
    -There is nothing either good nor ill but thinking makes it so.