User Tag List

12 Last

deleted

Default MBTI and Enneagram Correlations

I just got into Enneagram today and simply reading the definitions on 9types and the enneagram institute page I could tell I was a 4w1. I decided to keep researching the subject, and I came upon this correlations page full of sources. The very first box fit my functions perfectly, which I found surprising. Although I see that the first box is by Enneagram Institute as well. They have growth and stress, so it's interesting that they think for example growth for Te is Se etc.

I know the Enneagram is old news, but:

My question is, which one of these correlations do you agree with, if any? Can you reason around? I have a hunch that the sixth one down (L. J. Gabbard) is pretty accurate in some ways, because I've seen those types matched together. I do not like the one right before it. Also I couldn't understand why 4 is usually attributed to NF types and 5 is usually attributed to NT types. Then again I've just started looking at this theory. As of now I know the two theories aren't so relative, but let me know if you have any justified opinions.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    I just got into Enneagram today and simply reading the definitions on 9types and the enneagram institute page I could tell I was a 4w1. I decided to keep researching the subject, and I came upon this correlations page full of sources. The very first box fit my functions perfectly, which I found surprising. Although I see that the first box is by Enneagram Institute as well. They have growth and stress, so it's interesting that they think for example growth for Te is Se etc.
    Keep reading Lemons. You will learn that the wing must be adjacent to the dominant type (i.e. E4s can only be 4w3 or 4w5s). You may have scored highest on E4 followed by E1 which in case you could be 1w9 or 1w2.

My question is, which one of these correlations do you agree with, if any? Can you reason around? I have a hunch that the sixth one down (L. J. Gabbard) is pretty accurate in some ways, because I've seen those types matched together. I do not like the one right before it. Also I couldn't understand why 4 is usually attributed to NF types and 5 is usually attributed to NT types. Then again I've just started looking at this theory. As of now I know the two theories aren't so relative, but let me know if you have any justified opinions.
    The two systems are hard to correlate, yet enthusiast from both schools continue to make the attempt. I would say that the most accurate correlation table at LIFEXPLORES is the one at the very bottom (color-coded). I like Renee Barrons' list, as well as Ptypes. He correlates mbti-enneagram-oldham. Mr. Kelly developed his correlation during the time that he was appreciating the theory of Socionics, so clearly there will be some reversal for introverts. He shows ISTPs as 9w1 which is quite accurate. Barrons shows IXXPs usually correlate with E9. Edge Walker and I were discussing today that many INTPs are 9w1 while ISTPs are 9w8.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

i think those correlations are bullshit. here is a much better sight on MBTI correlating with enneagram:

The Enneagram and the MBTI: In Search of Common Ground, Part 2

First we must conceive of the enneagram as composed of nine 'zones', one zone associated with each enneagram point. In each zone gathers a 'family' of MBTI types that 'resemble' each other, although there is no one obvious feature which all members of the family have in common.

Furthermore, the family in each zone clusters around an MBTI pair that can be considered that zone's 'prototypes'. This protypical pair manifests a characteristic 'issue' (associated with their common inferior function) which all other family members, although they may have different fourth functions, also share in varying degrees.

For instance, associated with zone 8, as 'prototypical', is the 'extraverted thinking' pair (ESTJ, ENTJ). Both types have 'thinking' (T) as the dominant function. They are the only two 'extraverted thinking' types amongst the 16. But it is not dominant extraverted 'thinking' that they share with the other (non-prototypical) members of the zone 8 family, but issues associated with underdeveloped feeling . For the ESTJ and ENTJ are also the only two types that share introverted feeling as their inferior function. This can be seen by looking at their respective 'preference-orders': ESTJ = E\T-S-N-F, and ENTJ = E\T-N-S-F.

Now, some ESTPs and ENTPs may also test as 8s, although they do not have feeling as their fourth function. Nevertheless, we hypothesize, feeling will be underdeveloped in these particular individuals and it is this (and related issues) that they share with the others in zone 8 [more about this below].

The following chart correlates an 'inferior function' with each zone and specifies the pair that is the 'prototype' for each zone. [We will use the following 'shorthand' convention: the formula 'E(N/S)TJ' will substitute for 'ENTJ and ESTJ'.]

Zone Issue Prototypical
    MBTI Pair The Preference Orders
    for the Members of
    the Prototypical Pair
    8 Inferior introverted feeling E(N/S)TJ T-N-S-F & T-S-N-F
    2 Inferior introverted thinking E(N/S)FJ F-N-S-T & F-S-N-T
    3 Inferior introverted intuition ES(T/F)P S-T-F-N & S-F-T-N
    7 Inferior introverted sensing EN(T/F)P N-T-F-S & N-F-T-S
    5 Inferior extraverted feeling I(N/S)TP T-N-S-F & T-S-N-F
    9 Inferior extraverted thinking I(N/S)FP F-N-S-T & F-S-N-T
    6 Inferior extraverted intuition IS(T/F)J S-T-F-N & S-F-T-N
    4 Inferior extraverted sensing IN(T/F)J N-T-F-S & N-F-T-S

Let us summarize what we have said so far.

There are nine 'zones', one zone associated with each enneagram point
    In each zone gathers a 'family' of MBTI types
    Prototypical of each zone (and each family) is a pair of MBTI types (specified above)
    Each family, however, is not limited to the prototypical pair, but is comprised also of individuals of other types who share issues related to the inferior function of the prototypical pair

From the above chart it is easy to see that each zone will also have a special relationship with one other zone, with which it shares an inferior function. For instance, 8 and 5 both have inferior feeling (although they also differ, insofar as zone 8 has inferior introverted feeling, and zone 5 has inferior extraverted feeling). Also, 2 and 9 have inferior thinking; 3 and 6 have inferior intuition; and 7 and 4 have inferior sensing. When we drew a circle with the nine points on it and connected these complementary pairs, we were surprised to get the following symmetrical diagram:
    The Enneagram and the MBTI: In Search of Common Ground, Part 3
    this one goes over each enneagram more in depth

deleted

Thanks for that piece of theory.

Ok, according to Babylon's provided model, 4 and 1 would be an INJJ. However I can't be a 4 and a 1. But I don't relate with 3 or 5 that much. I'll have to go with just 4 I guess, if I'm allowed to do that.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Ok, according to Babylon's provided model, 4 and 1 would be an INJJ. However I can't be a 4 and a 1. But I don't relate with 3 or 5 that much. I'll have to go with just 4 I guess, if I'm allowed to do that.
    its important not to overgeneralize though. according to that theory, For instance, an INJ is only the "typical" 4, due to inferior Se. An INTJ could be a 5 or 8 due to really undeveloped Fi or Fe. An INFP could be a 4 from really undeveloped Se.... etc

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I also self type as a 4, but have a lot of 1 and 5 characteristics. This page might shed a little more light on the association between 1s and 4s.

4 - Enneagram Type Four: The Individualist

When moving in their Direction of Disintegration (stress), aloof Fours suddenly become over-involved and clinging at Two. However, when moving in their Direction of Integration (growth), envious, emotionally turbulent Fours become more objective and principled, like healthy Ones. For more information, click here.

MBTI
    INFX
    Socionics
    IEI

This is my theoretical model for the correlation of MBTI with the Enneagram:
    1w9: J>I>S>T
    1w2: J>T>N>E
    2w1: J>F>E>S
    2w3: E>J>F>N
    3w2: E>F>N>P
    3w4: N>P>E>T
    4w3: N>P>E>F
    4w5: N>I>F>J
    5w4: N>I>T>P
    5w6: T>I>J>N
    6w5: J>T>I>S
    6w7: J>S>F>I
    7w6: E>P>F>S
    7w8: E>P>S>T
    8w7: T>J>E>S
    8w9: J>S>E>F
    9w8: F>S>I>P
    9w1: P>F>I>S

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

What MBTI type correlates with the 5W6 at level 1?
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    HUMR
    Enneagram
    6 sx
    Socionics
    iNfp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Srho View Post
    This is interesting, except I do not see INFP. Do you mean 4w3 to be N>P>I>F?
    Man suffers only because he takes seriously what the gods made for fun - Watts

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Srho View Post
    i don't agree with a lot of these. like F should be the most important letter for 4s, and i don't think most 4w3s are extroverts even though some are. plus a few more.