• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Tritype] Enneagram tri-fix

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
So you thought you were all done after finally figuring out your Enneagram type + wing + instincual variant stacking? Not so fast. Now they’ve added something called “tri-fix” to the fine tuning of your main type. I shouldn’t say it that way, like someone just came up with it yesterday. But it is fairly recent; I first learned about it less than a year ago.

In a nutshell you decide your type (“window”) in each of the 3 triads: feeling, thinking, instinctive. For instance, if you’re a 6, you already know what your type is in the thinking triad (5,6,7). So you start out with the triad of your main type. From there you go on to the following one: in this example, the instinctive triad (8,9,1) and decide which of those. Say you identify most with type 8. On to the feeling triad, 2,3,4. Say it's 3. Congratulations, you’re a 6-8-3, which should make you a noticeably different kind of 6 than, say, a 6-9-4.

But wait, there’s more. Now you have to figure out your wings for each of the main types in your tri. What you end up with is your advanced subtype being something like sx/soc 6w5, 8w7, 3w2. If you’re interested you should read more about this on an Enneagram site. But I think I pretty much gave you the gist of it. If you already have a good feel for all the types, you can work out your tri-fix on your own. Otherwise you have to pay for an online test or else take a test like the RHETI indicator in the Riso Hudson book and go by your highest scores in each triad. But I think you need to know and have a good feel for the essence of each of the types to be sure and not just go by tests.

I’m sure eventually someone will dream up an even fancier system, so I guess you have to think of your Enneagram subtype as a work-in-progress.

G

garbage

Seems like it's just a way of building on an existing model so that it can potentially explain more. The same is done with MBTI, too.

Sure, extensions make it more complicated, but that complexity might add value. One can also fall back to the original if it's "good enough" for their purposes.

That said, I wonder if this tri-fix has seen much use? It sounds like an interesting concept, but I'm not sure how much more it can explain.

mysterio

MBTI Type
ENTP
Seems like it's just a way of building on an existing model so that it can potentially explain more. The same is done with MBTI, too.

Sure, extensions make it more complicated, but that complexity might add value. One can also fall back to the original if it's "good enough" for their purposes.

That said, I wonder if this tri-fix has seen much use? It sounds like an interesting concept, but I'm not sure how much more it can explain.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the Enneagram is a good system with the potential to yield substantial insight into core issues for most people if they give it a chance. Learning your tri-type can add to that insight. The Enneagram could be described as a geometry of archetypes that are arranged in a unique pattern in the psyche of a given person, so that while one of these is their main type, the placement and respective quantities of the others, such as shown in the tri-fix, will affect its flavor.