• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram's worth

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Do you really think Enneagram is a good system? It seems very different from MBTI for damn sure. It strikes me as being unscientific and almost like astrology.

With that said, I took two enneagram tests and scored the same both times in my dominant type, differently with the wings though. Both times I got 9 as the most dominant, but I also scored with 5 trailing behind by a super thin margin of about .3 points. It seems as if they only consider the one that gets the most points, but shouldn't it also consider traits of your second strongest type? I agree with the 9 dominance though. I do like to keep the peace when I can, when the truth isn't being beat on. In fact, I'd say it's probably what sets me apart from other INTP's sometimes; others on here have noted my attitude can be very atypical of an INTP. It is my understanding that most INTP's are primarily 5's?

The second time I tested (and I believe the second test was more thorough and accurate) I got a wing of 8, which I also agree with. That would probably be evident by the nature of my political posts :p . Either way, I can see these things don't go nearly as deep as MBTI, and it really seems like your dominant type would be subject to changing quite often... or maybe theres more to the types that I haven't yet read up on that makes them a bit more concrete.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
I'm no serious student of the system, and the reason for that is I see limited use. It seems relatively accurate, but accuracy and a nickel'll get you a hot cup o' jack squat.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like it and relate to mine more then i'd like to admit but find it a bit odd that i don't see any other enfp's with the same one.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Looking into a few more things about mbti and enneagram, I see some interesting connections. I have been growing suspicious about my development of Fe, and about just how often I bring it to the forefront (in harmony or subjugation to Ti of course). What I find interesting is that apparently INTP's mostly test as 5's, while INFP's tend to test as 9's. Interesting indeed...

redacted

Enneagram has in my opinion just as much worth as MBTI. Don't judge it by the tests you've taken (which are in fact, much harder to write). There are a few weird little flaws with the system, which I think Magic and I got around (the wing system is kinda off, as are the arrows of integration/disintegration).

Anyway, all personality systems are just ways of describing personality traits, not much more. Enneagram is more about coping mechanisms, MBTI is more about cognition.

G

garbage

At the very least, it's interesting to compare people with the same MBTI type and different Enneagrams. Both tests shed vastly different lights on one's personality, exposing more of its general shape.

redacted

I actually think enneagram types are better for describing personality.

MBTI types are about how people think, which can manifest in many different ways.

MBTI Type
INxJ
It certainly adds something that's missing from Socionics and MBTI. Frankly, it's best to just use all three systems and compile what's relevant to create a more whole picture.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I haven't found much worth for it yet. The groupings don't make much sense to me, seem very random.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
If the tool works then is it's worth defined by how well it works or by what means it was developed?

As an INTP 9 (possibly 9w8... not sure) I can definitely see your thinking on the whole atypical thinking and the increased F strength. Not so sure about the INFP link though, I tend to find I am more comfortable with ENFJ thinking than INFP... but there again both my sister and my best friend are ENFJs...

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am in concert with Evan on this.

I'd especially like to emphasize it being easier for identifying personality. As I've pointed out in the past, the whole concept of the cognitive process is so internalized, and so much about psychological means, rather than ends, that it's really hard to connect the line between process and personality.

An additional effect of this is that I actually think it's easier to figure someone's Enneagram type. I'm not saying it's fast or easy, but I think easier than the MBTI, because the Enneagream is so much more relevant to the outward personality. You have specific motives, coping mechanisms, beliefs, and factors like these which people can only attempt to very indirectly tie to cognitive processes. The Enneagram directly deals with those things, and they are more outwardly obvious than what the Jungian systems deal with.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
If the tool works then is it's worth defined by how well it works or by what means it was developed?

As an INTP 9 (possibly 9w8... not sure) I can definitely see your thinking on the whole atypical thinking and the increased F strength. Not so sure about the INFP link though, I tend to find I am more comfortable with ENFJ thinking than INFP... but there again both my sister and my best friend are ENFJs...

Not on topic, but ENFJ and INTP usually have Ti while INFP usually has Te. That might explain...

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Not on topic, but ENFJ and INTP usually have Ti while INFP usually has Te. That might explain...
Let's say for the sake of argument that MBTT f. order is valid (Which I don't believe.)

In that case, the INTP's Ti would so overpower the INFP's Te that orientation becomes irrelevant.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Let's say for the sake of argument that MBTT f. order is valid (Which I don't believe.)

In that case, the INTP's Ti would so overpower the INFP's Te that orientation becomes irrelevant.
That's assuming a lot... what if some people are more than 100% and some less? What if the order doesn't necessarily map to a nice progressive increase in strength?

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
That's assuming a lot... what if some people are more than 100% and some less? What if the order doesn't necessarily map to a nice progressive increase in strength?
I know it's assuming a lot, which is what people do when they subscribe to MBTT function order.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You know, for a community that so loves to give people quick glances and then smack them with a label, I really think the Enneagream would be more appropriate. You even get to brand people with a couple numbers! I'm surprised that it's not more popular.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I know it's assuming a lot, which is what people do when they subscribe to MBTT function order.
Oooo beeeatch!!
You know, for a community that so loves to give people quick glances and then smack them with a label, I really think the Enneagream would be more appropriate. You even get to brand people with a couple numbers! I'm surprised that it's not more popular.
Problem... people don't believe I was standing on my own two feet when I was branded...

Jeremy

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
The enneagram is fun, mostly because there are clear distinctions between most of the types and I don't have to question it. I am pretty damn certain that I am a type 9. INFP on the other hand? I've questioned it so many times it's not funny.

I think it is possible to be almost any combination of Enneatype and MBTI type, mostly because they are in different realms. Type 9 especially; the motivations of type 9 can apply to nearly any type. People with feeling preferences may want "Peace" because conflict upsets them. People with Thinking preferences may want "Peace" because conflict distracts them or otherwise seems illogical.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
The enneagram is fun, mostly because there are clear distinctions between most of the types and I don't have to question it. I am pretty damn certain that I am a type 9. INFP on the other hand? I've questioned it so many times it's not funny.

I think it is possible to be almost any combination of Enneatype and MBTI type, mostly because they are in different realms. Type 9 especially; the motivations of type 9 can apply to nearly any type. People with feeling preferences may want "Peace" because conflict upsets them. People with Thinking preferences may want "Peace" because conflict distracts them or otherwise seems illogical.
You might Think that but I couldn't possibly comment.

:whistling: