• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Enneagram question

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I posted this in the other enneagram thread but I got no reply and I'm deeply curious about this.

What's the W stand for?

similarminds.com's Enneagram Test said I scored highest on both type 3 and 8 with the same score, and then arbitrarily (?) went on to type me as 8 only. What does this mean? Is this what the W is all about? Am I a 3w8/8w3 then?

Can someone take the time to give me a brief explanation regarding the W, please? Thanks in advance :)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yes, W stands for Wing. That means you have some traits of the wing type aswell.

I am for example a 5, what is a Thinker with a 4 what is a dreamer :D. The other pairing that is possible according to classic Enneagram is 5w6 that is a more scientific Thinker, who is through the 6 loyal to the facts and reality.

Can recommend you this:

Enneagram of Personality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Yes, W stands for Wing. That means you have some traits of the wing type aswell.

I am for example a 5, what is a Thinker with a 4 what is a dreamer :D. The other pairing that is possible according to classic Enneagram is 5w6 that is a more scientific Thinker, who is through the 6 loyal to the facts and reality.

Can recommend you this:

Enneagram of Personality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But in your case the test labeled you as a 5w4 to begin with right?

I scored the same in types 8 and 3. But there isn't a 8w3 or 3w8 type. Your wings can only be the number next to your "primary" number right?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
This site helped me determine my type.
It takes a while to read through everything.
Instead of taking a test, you use your own intelligence and self-knowledge to decide for yourself.
It's more tedious, but I tried all the tests and got as many different answers!

The Enneagram Type Test

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yes, the wing can only be the number next to your primary. I guess because Eneagram is so simple in its makeup that there are others tests on the net that bend eneagramms original meaning.

I have taken your test aswell and I got two results. I eventually found out the real result by accident and through someone who helped me getting an objective view of myself.

The link presented by INTJmom is one of the best and reliable sources you can stick to according to eneagramm.

Magic Poriferan

^He pronks, too!
MBTI Type
Yin
Enneagram
One
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
According to the conventional theory, your wing is the highest scoring of the two types next to your primary type. So I'm a 1, next to 1 is 9 and 2. I always score higher on 2 than I do on 9, so I'm a 1w2. That is correct.

Unforunately, I do not think the conventional wing system makes much sense at all. It seems based almost entirely on aesthetics, and not any meaningful relation to the rest of the system. Me and another user have attempted to propose a more systematic way of defining the wings. You can read about that here if you're interested: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-enneagram-other-personality-matrices/8520-new-improved-enneagram-sponge-dissonance.html

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Thanks for the link, INTJMom.Checking it.

Entropie said:
I guess because Eneagram is so simple in its makeup that there are others tests on the net that bend eneagramms original meaning.

Well I don't know about that, but I find it a bit hard to related to the descriptions I've read. On one hand I can definitely see myself as an 8 but only as far as independence go. Leading others is not my thing.

All I know is that Image-Awareness and
According to the conventional theory, your wing is the highest scoring of the two types next to your primary type. So I'm a 1, next to 1 is 9 and 2. I always score higher on 2 than I do on 9, so I'm a 1w2. That is correct.

Unforunately, I do not think the conventional wing system makes much sense at all. It seems based almost entirely on aesthetics, and not any meaningful relation to the rest of the system. Me and another user have attempted to propose a more systematic way of defining the wings. You can read about that here if you're interested: http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/mbti-enneagram-other-personality-matrices/8520-new-improved-enneagram-sponge-dissonance.html

Yes it seems a bit too vague and incoherent... Anyway, thanks for the explanation. So according to my test, after 8 and 3, 9 is where I score higher. So I guess that makes me a 8w9.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
MBTI is good for explain how we think and process the world.

the enneagram is good for explaining behavior and motivations.

thats a very quick and dirty way to look at them.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
MBTI is good for explain how we think and process the world.

the enneagram is good for explaining behavior and motivations.

thats a very quick and dirty way to look at them.

And you are convinced, it is right ?

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
And you are convinced, it is right ?
nah its just a general way of looking at it, right or wrong. i personally believe that bio-temperament has more relevance then the enneagram.

just didn't feel like typing out a big long explanation sorry.

mlittrell

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w1
yes its much more specific then the enneagram. to me the enneagram is a step above astrology. read The Edge Effect by Dr. Eric Braverman...it's excellent. if you look at my signature you'll see my bio-temperament is acetylcholine. i dont know you well enough but in general NT's are dopamine dominant. SJ -> GABA dominant and SP -> seritonine (pardon the spelling). of course you can have a SJ who is dominant in dopamine or an NF that is dominant in seritonine.

ENTJ Extraordinaire

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w1
i have just taken the enneagram test, and have found it far too complicated, when compared with the Jung personality type test.

i have found that the enneagram is far too vague to understand, and very basic, with little actual information provided.

i am always looking for new ideas, however, and so will definitely be looking into bio-temperament, that is for sure

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes it seems a bit too vague and incoherent... Anyway, thanks for the explanation. So according to my test, after 8 and 3, 9 is where I score higher. So I guess that makes me a 8w9.

OMG it's another ENFP 8w9! :shock: *seizures, mouth starts foaming*

ENTJ Extraordinaire

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w1
ok, so i have done the enneagram test two days in a row now

i began as a 1 (can't remember variant or wing)

however today i am an 8w7 sx/so/sp

do many peoples enneagram change so dramatically? so often?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
It is more likely that your test results were wrong than that you actually changed.
I took four tests in one day and got four different results.
The tests online don't seem to be very well written.

As I suggested in post number 5, if you really want to know, you'll have to do the assessment yourself.
I found the results quite helpful.

ENTJ Extraordinaire

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
9w1
i thought about that, and to be quite honest, i think both types could apply to me...then again, at the same time, one can justify belonging to any personality.

*le sigh* i hold little faith in Enneagrams compared to Jung anyway, so it doesn't matter that much. was just interested is all :)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I felt the same way about a year ago.
I'm glad I gave it another try though.
The Enneagram explains the motivations of the heart, sort of.