• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Type 6] Enneagram Type 6 Profile

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[SUB]
Often I've said... "I wish I could just be a hermit." Though I'm realizing now that this isn't possible or even desirable, as romantic as it may seem.
[/SUB]

I've thought before that you seem more e6. And then there are times I suspect I'm e6. (I'm probably 5w6, and just haven't cared enough to change my setting, and/or don't care enough to make sure.) But then I interact with an e6, an it exhausts me so much that it's clear to me I'm more e5.

I'm not even sure what my point is here, except to share that I've had the impression of e6 for you before, but also know that 5w6 can have strong 6ish pockets. FWIW.

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yep.. Pretty much it, the discreption is totally me, I've been denying it my whole life and now I think it's true..

Permabanned
Come to the darkside. We have cookies! :vader1:

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Come to the darkside. We have cookies! :vader1:

I'm sorry I'm on diet :run:

But I have some cookies you can take them with you to the darkside, oh and [MENTION=6723]phobik[/MENTION] you're invited

Have fun, enjoy your meal :whistling:

Permabanned
I'm sorry I'm on diet :run:

But I have some cookies you can take them with you to the darkside, oh and @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/members/6723.html" target="_blank">phobik</a> you're invited

Have fun, enjoy your meal :whistling:

Starry

Yeah, reading it afterward, I can see how it wasn't clear.

Specifically, I was thinking about how there's a distinct lack of action in e5s. There's no "loudest alarm ever sounded to wake-up all the sheep", there's withdrawing and figuring out how to cut any type of interaction/interdependence down to an absolute bare minimum. Hand to God, those two sentences I quoted from the page somehow affirmed this, in my mind- but in retrospect, it's weird that I thought so and they actually kind of affirm the false stereotypes that lead so many people to mistype in the first place. :shrug:

Some time ago, I brought up the thing you just referred to in some e6 thread- about how it seems like they "know something so completely" (I used different terms, but I think I was referring to the same thing)- and then came back months later and amended it to say it seems more like Human Interaction OCD. I *think* I'm remembering that met with some agreement- like it wasn't about absolute conviction so much as an absolute need to know? Or something? (And like, sometimes "I KNOW I left the stove on!! I HAVE to check!!" can sound like conviction if enough panic is fueling it.)

So, to be clear, I don't think one type is more afraid than the other. But I think e5s are afraid of being incompetent (thus, overcompensating with like, Information OCD), whereas e6s are afraid of trust/other people (?) (thus, Human Interation OCD- be it in phobic or counterphobic form).

HaHa Z Buck is an Intuitive *points at Z Buck*

I get all of what you are saying and can totally see myself doing the same thing. I also understand and agree with the points you raised and comparison/contrasts you made.

I'm trippin out on Enneagram Institute right now...

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I've thought before that you seem more e6. And then there are times I suspect I'm e6. (I'm probably 5w6, and just haven't cared enough to change my setting, and/or don't care enough to make sure.) But then I interact with an e6, an it exhausts me so much that it's clear to me I'm more e5.

I'm not even sure what my point is here, except to share that I've had the impression of e6 for you before, but also know that 5w6 can have strong 6ish pockets. FWIW.

No, I know what you're saying. I've concluded that I'm a 5w6 with a really strong 6 wing.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Could you expand on this?

Like, how does this manifest in close relationships?

Cuz I feel like I hear this all the time, on here especially, but I've never heard a complaint like this from one of my partners or friends

If the skepticism cannot be "turned off" in the context of a close relationship it can be draining to the other person who always feels like they have to prove themselves and their intentions. A close friend is a 6 and when talking about their relationship issues, they're very often centered about the perception of intentional slight, as though they secretly think their significant other is intentionally tricking them or gaslighting them, doing things "on purpose" to get them mad. It also makes them (next to the 8, but for different reasons) one of the least likely types to de-escalate conflicts since they're automatically assuming the worst of the other side and are looking to defend themselves.

Edited to say YMMV, not every 6 does this, the healthy ones probably don't, etc etc

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
If the skepticism cannot be "turned off" in the context of a close relationship it can be draining to the other person who always feels like they have to prove themselves and their intentions. A close friend is a 6 and when talking about their relationship issues, they're very often centered about the perception of intentional slight, as though they secretly think their significant other is intentionally tricking them or gaslighting them, doing things "on purpose" to get them mad. It also makes them (next to the 8, but for different reasons) one of the least likely types to de-escalate conflicts since they're automatically assuming the worst of the other side and are looking to defend themselves.

Edited to say YMMV, not every 6 does this, the healthy ones probably don't, etc etc

Thanks

Sounds like what is typically heard

I don't doubt there are sixes, even a significant portion of them (30-40%+) who are like this, but this characterization really does not resonate with who I am at all. Like, I can't even imagine having a mind so unsteady. At least with regards to people I'm close to. When it comes to strangers, and crowds, and unknowns, yeah, maybe, sometimes, especially in lower levels of health. But, like, your significant other? Or longtime friends? That just sounds like insanity to me. Like psychosis, essentially. Like the individual can't properly discern reality and distinguish unrealistic paranoid thoughts from accurate, reasonable, rational, mindful ones.

Whatever the case, it sounds like this generalization was mostly about one person? Do you know what their Jungian type is? I have a bit of a pet theory as to how e6 manifests differently in different MBTI types...