• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs & Anger

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
As Ps get more stressed, they start to show negative J characteristics, like being stubborn to a ridiculous extent, but the reason to believe so has no evidence, as a J would insist on, all they have supporting it is internal judgment. The rigidity isn't helping them... they get more into self-preservation, but they can't balance it adequately as a normal J would. That sort of thing.

Oi! You failed me too.

I don't believe your statement to be true either.

I would expand, but I have to go to a baby shower. :doh:

Anyway, maybe Ivy can get Noah or Martoon to validate or reject your theory (since I know they're INTPs).

So Noah and I aren't addressed directly anymore? It all goes through Ivy now? ;)

Anyway, it's nice to be an INTP poster child, I guess. Regarding the post being referenced, I don't believe that I, personally, start moving toward any J characteristics (negative or otherwise) when stressed. In fact, when I get really stressed, I just shut down, become paralyzed, and stop taking any action at all. I just get very passive and resigned. If anything, I'd say it's like an extreme, unhealthy P characteristic.

But other INTPs may react differently. While I have no doubt that I'm INTP, my reaction doesn't necessarily represent the breed. I'm very non-aggressive (is that a passive way of saying "passive"?), and I really hate conflict, or having anyone upset (even if it's not directed at me). I have a high enneagram Type 9 score (calmness), and very low Type 8 (aggressiveness). A lot of INTPs will occasionally "rage", where they really go into a fit of anger. I've never done anything like that. I don't really do anger. I don't know how. I probably should.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
A lot of INTPs will occasionally "rage", where they really go into a fit of anger. I've never done anything like that. I don't really do anger. I don't know how. I probably should.

Neither do I.

Supression is fun!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
IMO, those INTPs are raging periodically because they're suppressing constantly. You guys probably just have a longer interval than most. It's coming...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IMO, those INTPs are raging periodically because they're suppressing constantly. You guys probably just have a longer interval than most. It's coming...
It comes out badly and counterproductive.

If we'd just get mad when it counts things would be a lot more healthy.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Somehow, when I'm stressed, I still continue working. Everything else may suffer, but for some reason, I'm still getting all the work I need done on time.

If I'm not getting my work done on time, I'm probably dying or something.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
I let it out.

It's something I learned during my skatboarding days: A quick burst of anger-vomit. . . and then I'm A-OK. Although, it comes off as tourette-like, I've been told.

nottaprettygal

MBTI Type
INTj
I let it out.

It's something I learned during my skatboarding days: A quick burst of anger-vomit. . . and then I'm A-OK. Although, it comes off as tourette-like, I've been told.

Does it always begin with the phrase, "Are you jooooooking me!?"

I don't really do the anger thing either, although INTJs do seem more likely to lash out than INTPs.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I let it out.

It's a handy thing to learn, venting your own reactors. Because an INTP meltdown is uglay.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's a handy thing to learn, venting your own reactors. Because an INTP meltdown is uglay.
Yeah, it's not cool when you frighten people you don't intend to frighten.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Yeah, I've never had one of them.

But with me, it's directed toward myself, because it arises when I know I should be able to do something that I can't, for some reason. For instance - back to the skateboarding analogy - I'd have something worked out intellectually, but I'd fail initially when it came to the physical aspect. And after a series of failed attempts, I'd yell out something like, "Haight! You're an idiot! You have push down and then out. Dammit!

However, more times than not, I'd end up accomplishing that which I ranted about generally a minute or five later. So it helped with focusing, in a way.

So as usual, it has to do with me not living up to me. I'm selfish even when angry, in other words.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, it's not cool when you frighten people you don't intend to frighten.

unless it's little kids, i always saw that as a major bonus. must be the E/I thing.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But with me, it's directed toward myself, because it arises when I know I should be able to do something that I can't, for some reason. For instance - back to the skateboarding analogy - I'd have something worked out intellectually, but I'd fail initially when it came to the physical aspect. And after a series of failed attempts, I'd yell out something like, "Haight! You're an idiot! You have push down and then out. Dammit!
Interesting, I did the same while playing basketball. Usually under my breath though, or that scary dude with the tats would think I was talking about him.

The ball also got hit with several interesting nicknames as the game wore on. And its mother.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP

I don't get angry; I just get frustrated. And usually it's directed inward. I haven't expressed anger outwardly at other people since I was a kid, I don't think. If I were to actually blow up at someone, I would feel like a five year old, and berate myself for days. This is not to say I never get cranky (I def. do) or that I never get snarky (guilty). But not pure anger/rage. And I never play dirty. I could know 800 horrible things about someone and never bring them up in an argument, no matter how much they provoked me.

Edit: upon thinking about it more, I do feel anger sometimes, but I don't express it in the usual ways, I guess. It's possible that i just mull it over and analyze it so much it morphs into something else?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Man, that's a pretty old school list right there.

With emphasis on OLD. (Yikes!)
At least Toni's probably only in her 30's.

Nah, y'all aren't getting off that easy. This topic is about long-winded explanations with lots of technical mumbo jumbo and random assertions. I want some of that too!

No, no, no -- you're an ISFP, you'd HATE that!

With me, it's directed toward myself, because it arises when I know I should be able to do something that I can't, for some reason. For instance - back to the skateboarding analogy - I'd have something worked out intellectually, but I'd fail initially when it came to the physical aspect. And after a series of failed attempts, I'd yell out something like, "Haight! You're an idiot! You have push down and then out. Dammit!

However, more times than not, I'd end up accomplishing that which I ranted about generally a minute or five later. So it helped with focusing, in a way.

So as usual, it has to do with me not living up to me. I'm selfish even when angry, in other words.

That sounds too familiar. Except with me, it was physical skills like you describe, OR making a mistake in logic / not understanding something, OR failing in one of my responsibilities that I had internalized. I made self-deprecation an artform and would either ridicule myself out loud or scream at myself in my head until I got it right.

I didn't have external outbursts involving other people until I reached my 20's and forced to be in proximity to other people, which meant often that when there was emotional stress and I couldn't get away, well, then it got uh-gly.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't get angry; I just get frustrated. And usually it's directed inward. I haven't expressed anger outwardly at other people since I was a kid, I don't think. If I were to actually blow up at someone, I would feel like a five year old, and berate myself for days. This is not to say I never get cranky (I def. do) or that I never get snarky (guilty). But not pure anger/rage. And I never play dirty. I could know 800 horrible things about someone and never bring them up in an argument, no matter how much they provoked me.
That's a lot like me.

I've never understood people that say cruel things they don't really mean either. I say what I mean, and I mean what I say.

Haight

Doesn't Read Your Posts
MBTI Type
INTj
Interesting, I did the same while playing basketball.
Me too. But only when I'd miss something that I know I should have made.

And again, people always knew/know that I'm talking to myself because I chastise myself in the third person.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Me too. But only when I'd miss something that I know I should have made.

And again, people always knew/know that I'm talking to myself because I chastise myself in the third person.
Never third person here.

Bad passes turned me into a Tourette's poster child. Though if looks could kill, I'd have a lot of dead teammates because of their shitty team D. Yeah, I know you were guarding your man, but he wasn't driving down the lane with the fucking ball, was he? And box out!

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
Neither do I.

Supression is fun!
I've just never done the anger meltdown thing. It's not that I control myself, or make myself not do it. I just don't feel the impulse or inclination. It sounds like a lot of work to me. I've made it to 41 years. Probably, when I hit 60 or so, I'll just go on a multi-state killing spree.

And after a series of failed attempts, I'd yell out something like, "Haight! You're an idiot! You have push down and then out. Dammit!
I do something kind of like that, but it's not yelling. When working on something, I'll occasionally give a kind of exasperated sigh, and say, "Marty, you idiot". I think the other programmer I work with is amused by this. Which is probably part of my motivation for doing it. But I still do it when I'm alone.

Edit: upon thinking about it more, I do feel anger sometimes, but I don't express it in the usual ways, I guess. It's possible that i just mull it over and analyze it so much it morphs into something else?
You just express it through your avatars. ;)

I do get cranky/irritable sometimes. It's not a focused anger directed at myself or anyone else. It's a state of being easily bothered and distracted by things, where they bother me more than they should.

I think your statement of "no matter how much they provoked me" is key. INTPs don't want to control anyone, and they really don't want anyone to control them. Letting someone provoke you to anger is a form of letting them control you.

This is an interesting discussion on INTPs and anger. Could one of the madmins be so kind as to split the relevant posts off into another thread? If you don't, I'll be really, really pissed. :steam:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Answer: Yesbuh.

(Sorry Mac)
It was fun!

I copied and moved posts!

Now get in the kitchen and make the INTPs a sammich before we get angry.