User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Ayn Rand?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

12 Last

Thread: Ayn Rand

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Default Ayn Rand

I couldn't find an Ayn Rand typing thread so I'm starting one. Keep in mind that comments about Ayn Rand being evil or whatever are off-topic.

It is commonly thought that Rand was an INTJ. After all, even her closest followers called her Mrs. Logic. Unfortunately, I don't see logic as being necessarily associated with a particular type. Developing a philosophical system is not relevant to the INTJ type.

I have read biographies of Ayn Rand and read most of her books. So my evidence comes from reading about Rand. Read Socionics Types: IEI-INFp

"[T]hey sometimes can be prophetic, prescient, and profound in their visions, and sometimes reflect a far more rebellious, aggressive, or outspoken demeanor."
    Ayn Rand was a visionary. INTJs are not visionaries. She rebelled against the mainstream of thought.

"Often IEIs exhibit a dreamy and gentle demeanor. They can come across as fickle, indecisive and vapid, and their fantasies can be often esoteric; they often may seem idealistic and focused on unrealistic or other-worldly utopias."
    Her ideals and ideas are often considered to be unrealistic because she dreamed of an ideal capitalistic utopian world.

"IEIs typically have richly developed mental landscapes. They are highly attuned to trends, patterns, and conceptual connections of past behaviors, experiences, relationships, and their role in the world." She drew connections between trends/patterns and philosophical concepts. Her political writings show all of these inclinations. She drew connections between past conditions into the present, and then into the future.

Which Subtype? Intuitive versus Ethical. Most likely she was the Intuitive subtype.
    Socionics Types: IEI-INFp Subtypes

"The intuitive subtype appears as a calm, tactful, languid and diffident individual."
    That sounds like Howard Roark and John Galt.

"He seems torn from reality, inert and poorly adapted to life."
    Ayn Rand never learned how to drive a car. She let her cats claw up her furniture.

"Usually does not aspire to leadership and finds it difficult and tiring to handle organizational functions." Yes, which is why she allowed Nathaniel Branden to make all the calls, although he had to pass them through her first.

"Gravitates more towards intellectual sphere of activity than towards hands-on management and production." Right.

"Exhibits tolerance towards the flaws and weaknesses of others." Yes. However, those "others" had to show some kind of outstanding achievements in order for her to forgive their flaws and weaknesses.

"Does not break immediately those relationships that have been exhausted for he grows used to people." This is true to an extent. But she would immediately break relationships with those she felt had betrayed her trust.

"IEIs often have a keen interest in interpreting their surroundings in terms of logical categories." This is probably one reason some think she was an INTJ. But that is just the Ti-tertiary of the INFJ.

One thing that's always bothered me about the INTJ call is the V.I. aspect: Rand's large eyes. INTJs just don't have eyes that large.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."
    I'm an extrovert trapped within an introverted soul.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Tertiary Temptation in INFJ | Stellar Maze
    '[M]agic happens when an INFJ chooses to express themselves through an extraverted feeling medium. This would be writing, image-making, music, and in short, anything that is artistic. Conversely, the moment the INFJ starts thinking, “Hey, maybe I could systematize these abstruse thoughts into a closed system or philosophy of some sort”, they are on the road to ruin.'

That is Ayn Rand's life in a nutshell. She started out as an author who knew how to attract an audience (Fe-aux) with her unusual writing.

Then came “Hey, maybe I could systematize these abstruse thoughts [from her novels, Mal] into a closed system or philosophy of some sort.” And that's exactly what she did, the product becoming known as "Objectivism." And it certainly was the 'road to ruin' due to the interpersonal conflicts that came later. She broke with her long-time lover Nathaniel Branden, with her long-time confidant Barbara Branden, and with a host of other members of her movement. In Ti fashion, she simply broke with them and, for the most part, simply forgot about them. Her philosophy led to the ruination of her marriage. After the death of her husband, she was alone.
    "If you try to build something that is idiot-proof, the universe will build a better idiot."

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

She was not a feeler. Barely a writer. What type is that?
    Likes A Demonic Lover liked this post

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    She was not a feeler. Barely a writer. What type is that?
    From INFJ vs. INTJ | Stellar Maze -
    “INFJs, by contrast, are wet and live in this world of emotion at a very fundamental level. This may cause them more suffering quantitatively because they are always falling in love with the idea of love and dreaming of ideal romantic encounters.”

That is Ayn Rand to a Tee.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

The appropriate option is not here. She was clearly a CUNT.

In all seriousness, my guess would be INTJ, or INFJ with the worlds shittiest F. No idea about enneagram.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by captain curmudgeon View Post
    The appropriate option is not here. She was clearly a CUNT.
    Those are my exact thoughts about Hillary Clinton. But - "Keep in mind that comments about Ayn Rand being evil or whatever are off-topic."

In all seriousness, my guess would be INTJ, or INFJ with the worlds shittiest F. No idea about enneagram.
    You don't know about Rand's Fe until you've either met her or know someone who has met her and been influenced by the way she drew 20,000 people to her side. And although that's not a lot of people, it's a lot for a relatively unknown author.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

And from my personal experience, I've experienced INFJ with a great deal more submerged Fe, so much so that this person completely withdrew into an intellectual shell of Ti-tertiary. Rand was far gone but I don't think she was that far gone.

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Bear in mind that sphere of influence is not necessarily indicative of Fe or Fi. And she's hardly unknown. I see inventing random facts to peddle a political agenda is still your thing?
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Bear in mind that sphere of influence is not necessarily indicative of Fe or Fi. And she's hardly unknown. I see inventing random facts to peddle a political agenda is still your thing?
    I'm not actually addressing the sphere of influence. She had this effect on people she met, something that drew them to her which is definitely Fe-auxiliary at work. She knew how to charm individuals, even if she hit hard in her writing. She charmed the pants right off of Nathaniel Branden. As far as being unknown, I am talking about 1958, not 2017.

As for inventing facts, etc., please stop being silly.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Aww, I came here for the Ayn Rand hate.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari
    Likes A Demonic Lover liked this post