User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Russell Brand?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 56789 Last

Thread: Russell Brand

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

I may have to read his book now. I agree @Ivy totally nf quote there.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    Yeah what ivy said... It just seems like you don't understand enfps very well.
    I don't mean that all sinister like or anything... It just seems like you have the wrong impression.

Steven Tyler... Major partier for years...robin Williams and Craig ferguson too
    My dad... My sister... These other two enfps I know....lots of people mal

You can be fi and like to party. :/
    "Party" is on the same level as "addictions." It's not speaking to the lifestyle which is a preference for partying over all else and not just something an Fi likes to do.

Do you live to eat? Or do you eat to live? Someone who lives to eat, I would say, has Se dominant.
    "There seems to be a deep instinct in human beings to make compulsory that which isn't forbidden."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I think I've seen a couple different sources type him as ESTP. Not sure what I think about that.
    He's a little of both. It depends on which part of Russell's life you look at. The interview has some of you biased toward that personality he puts on for the camera.
    "There seems to be a deep instinct in human beings to make compulsory that which isn't forbidden."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I don't see Russel Brand as having "a preference for partying over all else." Nor do I see that as something an Fi would be immune to. Social excess to fill an emotional hole? Why not?

Edit: again, not going by that video at all. His books, which are awesome by the way (his "voice" is just irrepressible- another side effect of Fi IMO) are very thoughtful, ethically-oriented, and relationship-oriented.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't see Russel Brand as having "a preference for partying over all else." Nor do I see that as something an Fi would be immune to. Social excess to fill an emotional hole? Why not?
    The research I've done shows that Russell has turned around some of his youthful party habits. I suggest reading up on the dude. The interview posted here didn't provide nearly enough information. And social excess to fill an emotional hole would have to bring forth some other function as the INTROVERTED part of Fi does not allow for a socially excessive attitude. Either these things are defined in terms of FUNCTIONS, or stop using function theory. Are we all on the same page here or do we use function theory only when it fits?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Mal+ View Post
    The research I've done shows that Russell has turned around some of his youthful party habits. I suggest reading up on the dude. The interview posted here didn't provide nearly enough information. And social excess to fill an emotional hole would have to bring forth some other function as the INTROVERTED part of Fi does not allow for a socially excessive attitude. Either these things are defined in terms of FUNCTIONS, or stop using function theory. Are we all on the same page here or do we use function theory only when it fits?
    No shit, that's why I said "I don't see Russel Brand as having "a preference for partying over all else." He's a recovering addict and pretty religious, actually. For the eleventy billionth time, I DID NOT RELY ONLY ON THE VIDEO IN MY TYPING OF HIM. Seriously, "the introverted part of Fi does not allow for a socially excessive attitude"? Is that in any "official" definition of Fi or did you come up with it? Because I'm honestly wondering if you've met any ENFPs.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

No shit, that's why I said "I don't see Russel Brand as having "a preference for partying over all else." He's a recovering addict and pretty religious, actually. For the eleventy billionth time, I DID NOT RELY ONLY ON THE VIDEO IN MY TYPING OF HIM. Seriously, "the introverted part of Fi does not allow for a socially excessive attitude"? Is that in any "official" definition of Fi or did you come up with it? Because I'm honestly wondering if you've met any ENFPs.
    I saw Russell become distinctly more introverted at the 13:30 point of the interview as he tried to describe something private that he's not used to discussing. It's a function holding ideas that he usually doesn't express to people. Those Fi ideas do not consist of partying, but of loving God and becoming a better person.

Fi is not a party animal function. Ne sees life in terms of possibilities, it invents novel ideas. Se is the party animal function.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Okay, so IYO no ENFPs are party animals?

This is making function theory too rigid, IMO. It's not that I think a person with primary or secondary Fi will be a party animal BECAUSE of their Fi. Just that I don't think them being or having been a party animal disqualifies them from having primary or secondary Fi. I think Fi can be compatible with social excess, especially in a person with a need to fill an emotional hole they don't yet fully understand.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

Okay, so IYO no ENFPs are party animals?
    I'm only speaking to functions and I've dealt with this question twice now. Another function has to come forth besides Ne or Fi. Russell's sensualistic nature tells me that Se factors in as an alternate dominant.

This is making function theory too rigid, IMO.
    Just the opposite, it's freeing JCF from its rigid beginnings with Jung who thought in terms of one dominant, one auxiliary, and one inferior per personality.

It's not that I think a person with primary or secondary Fi will be a party animal BECAUSE of their Fi. Just that I don't think them being or having been a party animal disqualifies them from having primary or secondary Fi. I think Fi can be compatible with social excess, especially in a person with a need to fill an emotional hole they don't yet fully understand.
    Compatible yes. As I said above, there's no contradiction. I wasn't denying his ENFP, I was adding to it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ni

I'm not going by that one interview either.. I've read his books. I don't see a lot of Se with him. He does (or did, in the case of drugs) a lot of sex+drug stuff but it's always described as trying to fill an emotional hole, not sheer sensation-seeking. I don't really think of him as an "if it feels good do it" SP type. More of a "I do things that feel good for a reason, and I'm going to explore the reasoning and ethical framework that causes me to do these things" NF type. I honestly can't see NT in him at all- his Ne ideas are largely people-centered and ethics-centered ideas, not disembodied NT "universe" ideas. He is an anarchist and Hare Krishna, for pete's sake.

"The sincere aspect of my attendance to these carnivals of disobedience is my instinctive mistrust of authority and innate belief that whilst we are different we are all equal and have a social culpability to care for every member of our society."

"One of the consequences of consumerism has been the commodification not only of commercial durables and consumer items, but also of our own emotions and desires."

Those quotes are SO NF it hurts.
    What is so NF about disobedience to and instinctive mistrust of authority?