• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jack White

What Personality Type is Jack White?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFJ

• INTP

• INTJ

• ENTJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ISTJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• 1w9

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 5w4

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 7w8

• 8w7

• 8w9

• 9w8

• 9w1

• Total voters

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I dunno just based on being ENFP and the kind of words he writes and his sound and style, I would be open to ENFP for him. I wish I could say more, but sometimes it's hard for me to describe.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
INTP or ENTP; probably ENTP

Overall style of communicating seems to illustrate use of Ne a lot. Examples:
- exploring the music wherever it takes him like a child - Ne
- makes rules for himself that he doesn't tell anyone before he goes into the studio - Ti

Good example of these two functions working together is at 6:15 when he is talking about amplifiers.

I don't see any F there.

Receives inspiration for his songs from "somewhere else," either he will "let God into the room," or there is something on the "quantum level" that communicates with him like two quantum particles communicating over vast distances.
That is Ni.

As for Fe, this is seen in his desire to create a social connection between himself and his audience via his art.

Both of these traits are discussed in the Dan Rather interview I posted above.

Starry

Intensity of feeling combined with a comparative lack of refinement and purpose in the presentation of it.

Only because you're speaking about Cobain :cry: I want to insert here that you do understand this was deliberate right? Well, except for purpose...that is untrue. There was definitely purpose to his work.

I think a part of what lullabelle was attempting to express when saying "all INFP musicians are crappy" ...

It's almost as if you're saying - we (NFPs) are playing to the best of our abilities and are unfortunately incapable of reaching the same level of refinement as the NFJ...and subsequently this is evidence for why White couldn't possibly be an ENFP.

Cobain was a musical genius that transformed...shit everything having to do with music (haha I don't know what to say)...and I promise you this wasn't a "happy accident."

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cobain was a musical genius that transformed...shit everything having to do with music (haha I don't know what to say)...and I promise you this wasn't a "happy accident."

No he was not.

To say he was gifted would be stretching it even I feel.

Starry

No he was not.

butthead

(watch this post get removed)

To say he was gifted would be stretching it even I feel.

I couldn't figure out how to edit my post to respond to your edit...which is a sign of giftedness so they say.

I can't disagree with you as long as you aren't attributing this opinion to his type.

Last edited:

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
butthead

(watch this post get removed)

I don't always disagree with you Starry, but when I do, it's when you say wrong things like 'Cobain' and 'musical genius' in the same sentence, without including an 'obviously wasn't a' in between.

I can't disagree with you as long as you aren't attributing this opinion to his type.

I don't even know what type he is. : /

Starry

I don't always disagree with you Starry, but when I do, it's when you say wrong things like 'Cobain' and 'musical genius' in the same sentence, without including an 'obviously wasn't a' in between.

I removed the haha from what I wrote because I realized how serious that statement was...and so I was wondering if you too could remove it from your quote as well?

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I removed the haha from what I wrote because I realized how serious that statement was...and so I was wondering if you too could remove it from your quote as well?

Of course, and could you edit your very first quote that says "No he wasn't." and change it to "No he was not"?

Starry

Of course, and could you edit your very first quote that says "No he wasn't." and change it to "No he was not"?

hahaha <-I'm going to ask you to please leave this haha in if you quote this as I can't stop laughing.

edit: this is real

Starry

[MENTION=22109]Evee[/MENTION]

Sorry, I had to come back to this as I was doing too many things at once.

As I'm assuming you know I don't really give a crap if people think Cobain was crap.

To say he lacked purpose in his presentation... this is a bit of a challenging one for me because from where I stand I don't know how anyone could arrive at that conclusion. And yet being on the inside of NFP...I'm now wondering if other types might not readily see it. I don't even know if I could explain it properly but...actually I was just talking to you about this in a way when I told you that "we want to create a puzzle not solve it." We wish to shift things all around...wrapping things up in all the wrong packaging...and then ask "...what do you see?" And we're not attached to people understanding. In other words, people that think Cobain was an idiot would have been just as interesting to him (although I will say that we often use this very system to identify friends and lovers...it's the people that find us and get it.) What I'm trying to say is he absolutely wanted this point to be difficult to determine. Is he saying anything important? Or is he just banging garbage can lids together?

My point was merely to say I understand @lullabelle's responses. To say Cobain is a perfect example of an INFP 4 because of his "intensity of feeling and lack of purpose and refinement" links these two things together in a way that I feel will cause a lot of future mistypes to occur by appearing to limit the range we're capable of. And, regardless of what you believe to be true about the quality of his work...seems to hint at him just accidentally becoming one of the most influential musicians of all time.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Sometimes I think he is an ENTJ. He has trouble working with other people unless he has total control. He also has a very commander like presence and I heard him once say that telling a lover love is fleeting is like telling a general victory is fleeting.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Receives inspiration for his songs from "somewhere else," either he will "let God into the room," or there is something on the "quantum level" that communicates with him like two quantum particles communicating over vast distances.
That is Ni.

What makes you think those statements have anything to do with Ni? Think of it this way:

Extraverted Intuition (Ne)
“Future opportunities”
• Brainstormingmultiple options
• Imagining possible connections
• Entertaining ideas

Introverted Intuition (Ni)
“One’s vision”
• Knowing based on trusted insight
• Visualizing the essence
• Synthesizing the whole

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What makes you think those statements have anything to do with Ni? Think of it this way:

Extraverted Intuition (Ne)
“Future opportunities”
• Brainstormingmultiple options
• Imagining possible connections
• Entertaining ideas

Introverted Intuition (Ni)
“One’s vision”
• Knowing based on trusted insight
• Visualizing the essence
• Synthesizing the whole

Because Jack White's musical ideas come seemingly from out of nowhere.

For example, when Ne is brainstorming multiple options, those options come from through the senses. The possible connections that are imagined originate via the senses. They entertain ideas that come to them via the senses.

The Ni, on the other hand, has reached seemingly beyond the senses to another ("higher") level of sensory input, like a sixth sense. That is the kind of experience that Jack White describes in his Dan Rather interview.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Only because you're speaking about Cobain :cry: I want to insert here that you do understand this was deliberate right? Well, except for purpose...that is untrue. There was definitely purpose to his work.

I think a part of what lullabelle was attempting to express when saying "all INFP musicians are crappy" ...

It's almost as if you're saying - we (NFPs) are playing to the best of our abilities and are unfortunately incapable of reaching the same level of refinement as the NFJ...and subsequently this is evidence for why White couldn't possibly be an ENFP.

OMG. I wasn't saying that NFPs are like squalling infants whose only purpose in life is to wail loud enough to get a feeding bottle and a new diaper. This is what happens when you don't put your MBTI type on your profile. NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME.

What I'm trying to say is that the presentation of purpose and the emotionality behind it is much less crafted and mediated with NFPs than it is with NFJs. I feel that Jack White's style, even while passionate and intense and authentic, is crafted and pruned and presented in Fe-ways to elicit feedback from audiences in very specific ways. And sure, Fi can want to provoke reactions in people as well ... it's just that their (OUR) own feelings get in the way of letting them play their audiences with the same abandon.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
OMG. I wasn't saying that NFPs are like squalling infants whose only purpose in life is to wail loud enough to get a feeding bottle and a new diaper. This is what happens when you don't put your MBTI type on your profile. NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME.

What I'm trying to say is that the presentation of purpose and the emotionality behind it is much less crafted and mediated with NFPs than it is with NFJs. I feel that Jack White's style, even while passionate and intense and authentic, is crafted and pruned and presented in Fe-ways to elicit feedback from audiences in very specific ways. And sure, Fi can want to provoke reactions in people as well ... it's just that their (OUR) own feelings get in the way of letting them play their audiences with the same abandon.

I think this is kind of true actually. I've always wanted to be an entertainer but I'm always considering and weighing my actions until my brain overloads and I just don't want to speak and wish to vanish in to the dao of things where I don't have to take responsibility for the dark mood of my creations. I have FI and I value positivity yet any sort of art I make is dark, bleak, and really just not that good.

But I think this relates because I have FI...strong sense or weight over my shoulders to do whats right but I don't always have access to it as it's inferior.

I kind of see that in him and kind of don't.

Starry

I missed this last night and wish I could have responded sooner. Please don't feel alone in the 'nobody understands me' way because there's many of us haha.

Your comments were not offensive to me in anyway... I mean, I definitely operated on the assumption you were FJ (and e6 just to be completely honest) merely because I've seen this same dialogue play-out so many times before and your descriptions and explanations all registered with me as coming from the FJ perspective. <-Which I think deserves some slack when misinterpretations occur.

If what you are alluding to above is that you actually identify as INFP then now I really am pissed <-haha okay I'm kidding. No, but in all honesty though had you had INFP listed as your type and I accepted that...the only difference it might have made is me having addressed you in a more personal way and with a little more 'wtf?' ha. My comments would have been the same because I don't entirely agree with your interpretations and that's absolutely fine. I like people having alternative perspectives when it comes to art and type very much. I very much appreciate your contributions.

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I missed this last night and wish I could have responded sooner. Please don't feel alone in the 'nobody understands me' way because there's many of us haha.

Your comments were not offensive to me in anyway... I mean, I definitely operated on the assumption you were FJ (and e6 just to be completely honest) merely because I've seen this same dialogue play-out so many times before and your descriptions and explanations all registered with me as coming from the FJ perspective. <-Which I think deserves some slack when misinterpretations occur.

If what you are alluding to above is that you actually identify as INFP then now I really am pissed <-haha okay I'm kidding. No, but in all honesty though had you had INFP listed as your type and I accepted that...the only difference it might have made is me having addressed you in a more personal way and with a little more 'wtf?' ha. My comments would have been the same because I don't entirely agree with your interpretations and that's absolutely fine. I like people having alternative perspectives when it comes to art and type very much. I very much appreciate your contributions.

Yup, I identify as an Fi/Te user at the very least. INFJ is one of the type descriptions that speaks to me the least, even though it has been suggested by people fairly often as a first impression. Anyhow, I've seen the way these INFJ/INFP typology forum clusterfucks go down one time too many ... and don't really want to participate in another one ... but I guess I started thinking about them and came to the conclusion that a (potentially small but very vocal) subset of Fi users tend to vilify Fe ... and I totally get why that might happen because type profiles make INFJs sound like mysterious, sexy high priestesses who are versed in the secrets of the universe and INFPs like tiny, mostly clawless kittens, which is a maddeningly unfair representation ... and for INFP 4s especially, being called "cute" is like a dagger through the heart. I get all of that.

But I personally would very much like to avoid reducing Fe to a shallow social justice meet and greet stereotype to compensate for it because that also offends my sense of fairness. And I genuinely do think Jack White is an xNFJ of the counterculture variety.

P. S. The "NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME" was an artistic exaggeration, haha.

Starry

Yup, I identify as an Fi/Te user at the very least. INFJ is one of the type descriptions that speaks to me the least, even though it has been suggested by people fairly often as a first impression. Anyhow, I've seen the way these INFJ/INFP typology forum clusterfucks go down one time too many ... and don't really want to participate in another one ... but I guess I started thinking about them and came to the conclusion that a (potentially small but very vocal) subset of Fi users tend to vilify Fe ... and I totally get why that might happen because type profiles make INFJs sound like mysterious, sexy high priestesses who are versed in the secrets of the universe and INFPs like tiny, mostly clawless kittens, which is a maddeningly unfair representation ... and for INFP 4s especially, being called "cute" is like a dagger through the heart. I get all of that.

But I personally would very much like to avoid reducing Fe to a shallow social justice meet and greet stereotype to compensate for it because that also offends my sense of fairness. And I genuinely do think Jack White is an xNFJ of the counterculture variety.

P. S. The "NOBODY UNDERSTANDS ME" was an artistic exaggeration, haha.

See, this is what happens when you don't have your MBTI type listed on your profile haha.

I'm not an INFP.
I'm your superficial, excess-lovin, ADD-diagnosed cousin the ENFP 7 and assure you I'm not really thinking of these things all that deeply haha. And while I'm not opposed to vilifying Fe...it never entered into my mind throughout the duration of my participation in this thread. I was only here for the Cobain comments and free nachos...but if you guys are going start with the grown-up talk...I'm goin to head out to a laser hip-hop show.

Carry on :wink:

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
See, this is what happens when you don't have your MBTI type listed on your profile haha.

I'm not an INFP.
I'm you're superficial, excess-lovin, ADD-diagnosed cousin the ENFP 7 and assure you I'm not really thinking of these things all that deeply haha. And while I'm not opposed to vilifying Fe...it never even entered into my mind throughout the duration of my participation in this thread. I was only here for the Cobain comments and free nachos...but if you guys are going start with the grown-up talk...I'm goin to head out to a laser hip-hop show.

Carry on :wink:

I can't be adult anymore. I'm thoroughly sick of Jack White at this point. ;_;

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Jack White on his mystical affinity with the number 3:

"It became hypnotic. This was the minimum amount of staples I could put to hold this fabric down. The number three exemplifies the almost iconic, mysterious perfection that cannot be obtained. A table has to have three legs or else it falls down. A traffic light has three lights. A car wheel can stay on with three bolts. It goes on and on. There are these three elements to everything, and if you can discover what those three are as your structure, then you're on the right path. To this day, I still think about it all the time."