• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Katy Perry

What Personality Type is Katy Perry?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFJ

• INTP

• ENTP

• ENTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• ESTJ

• 1w9

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w5

• 5w4

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 8w7

• 8w9

• 9w8

• 9w1

• Total voters

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, so that they don't do or say anything stupid like drink/drug themselves into oblivion/make racist or sexist remarks/say something to garner public disapproval. Not so that they can imitate being an S to appeal to an S population.

Yeah I totally agree with you. My ISTJ friend doesn't listen to Katy Perry, and if you even suggested that my ESFJ ex do so, he'd laugh his ass off at you.

So not all Ss like Katy Perry, not all people who like Katy Perry are S, and furthermore, I have a hard time picturing image consultants sitting around saying "okay, since most of the population is MBTI Sensors, we'd like it if you'd dress sexy."

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
Yeah, so that they don't do or say anything stupid like drink/drug themselves into oblivion/make racist or sexist remarks/say something to garner public disapproval. Not so that they can imitate being an S to appeal to an S population.
Your statement is true for some image consultants. I have no idea how the music industry works, but I'd bet the record label has marketing and PR people who know something about appealing to the most people possible. It doesn't take knowledge of MBTI theory. It can be simplified down to basic communication skills like knowing the audience and appealing to them.

Yeah I totally agree with you. My ISTJ friend doesn't listen to Katy Perry, and if you even suggested that my ESFJ ex do so, he'd laugh his ass off at you.

So not all Ss like Katy Perry, not all people who like Katy Perry are S,
It's not surprising at all that some Ss don't like Katy Perry. That doesn't indicate anything.

and furthermore, I have a hard time picturing image consultants sitting around saying "okay, since most of the population is MBTI Sensors, we'd like it if you'd dress sexy."
Those PR types are fairly in-tune with what appeals to the most people. ;)

Ha ha! I didn't realize that dressing sexy only appealed to Ss. You're trying to confuse me and make me take the MBTI again to confirm my N preference aren't you? :)

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
No, I was being facetious about the sexy thing because clearly sex sells to many humans, not simply Sensor types, and in fact sex might sell more readily to an adventurous ENFP looking for shiny things, or an Se-driven ENTJ than an ISFJ who ties his sexuality extremely closely to his or her religious beliefs (not saying that all ENFPs, ENTJs, or ISFJs are like that, just saying this is very much a possibility with the various types).

I don't see what is necessarily S about Katy Perry if you don't mean her extremely sexualized image. Do you mean that she plays popular music?

We could argue all day about music...or rather *I* could argue all day about music. What about the ISFPs who elevate music to a complex art form of sound? What about the ISTJs who think that classical music is better than anything that could possibly be played on the radio?

It's true that we can stereotype INTx, for example, playing extremely technical, industrial, electronic "experimental" music (I know stereotypical INTP music when I hear it, it hardly even sounds like music but like some electronic, intellectually pretentious jerk-off session) ....but anyway some of the biggest music snobs I've known have been Sensors. It's not a Sensor thing to prefer popular music.

Simulated World, an ENTP musician and music teacher, believes that popular music is an extremely valid form of music and is in the process of producing a pop album (or may have already done so, just by last time I talked to him). I was also conversing with an INFP on this site just yesterday, where I was extolling the virtues of musically complex guitar solos in classic rock, and he admitted his favorite kind of music is R&B and pop.

I also like pop myself, I actually have very eclectic taste in music, and listen to everything from Mozart to Duran Duran to Bob Seger to Tori Amos to Dead Mou5. I also think a couple of Katy Perry songs are catchy.

We can say that some people only listen to simplistic pop, but is it because they're Sensors, or just because they're people who aren't big into music so never delved too deeply into it and just turn on the radio occasionally or go out to dance clubs sometimes. Is it just because they aren't musically inclined, not because they're a certain personality type?

EDIT: Actually ignore the intelligence argument that's not a good argument, because since there are many types of intelligence (and Musical intelligence is in my top two) it's possible that Musical is the lowest for some people, just like Mathematical is pretty damn low for me. Maybe basic pop is to those people what basic math is to me...necessary or even pleasant to have (I'm actually quite good at counting and handling money, I always had impeccable drawers when I cashiered and carried large amounts of cash both as a waitress and a dancer) ...but not so good at the more complex stuff. Like I hate Algebra. They just have no interest in anything that goes beyond "catchy" or "makes me feel happy." And that's okay. It just means music isn't one of their top priorities or skills.

Popular music is popular because something about it appeals to most humans. Not because they're Sensors, but because it's catchy, I think. There's something to it, perhaps a formula, that simply appeals to the human ear/brain.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
HOW is this girl famous? gefus....
Well the most likely bet is that people like her music and she went with a major record labeling group.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think classical music *is* the best thing played on the radio nowadays....:dry:

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Your statement is true for some image consultants. I have no idea how the music industry works, but I'd bet the record label has marketing and PR people who know something about appealing to the most people possible. It doesn't take knowledge of MBTI theory. It can be simplified down to basic communication skills like knowing the audience and appealing to them.

1. That's a simplistic view of the role of the audience. Don't you think a large part of her "appeal" is manufactured? Artists aren't popular simply because they appeal to the audience; they are popular because the audience is manipulated into finding them appealing.

2. What part of this "mass appeal" do you think is related to S? If you went any further than that statement, and you really broke it down (by Se and Si, at the very least), I bet the only material you'd have for that argument would be shitty stereotypes.

3. How much of her popularity can be attributed to her persona and not simply to her style of music/advertising/radio play/non-interview promotional maneuvers? Surely it plays a part, but not so much of a part that her personality is being regulated at fundamental levels.

G

Ginkgo

If Katy Perry is manipulating her audience, you are part of her audience, and you hate her...

Is she manipulating you into hating her?

Kierva

#KUWK
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
13 pages worth of intellectual debate about someone who comes off as dumb and doesn't really contribute much to the society (in terms of causes or whatever social injustice).

Doesn't strike me as "smart", this woman. I think her stage persona is ESFP. No need for their real type, which star is real anyway?

deleted
Ti-ISTJ

Katy_Perry.jpg
katy-perry.jpg
katy-perry.jpg

Last edited:
R

Riva

13 pages worth of intellectual debate about someone who comes off as dumb and doesn't really contribute much to the society (in terms of causes or whatever social injustice).

Doesn't strike me as "smart", this woman. I think her stage persona is ESFP. No need for their real type, which star is real anyway?

One doesn't have to contribute much to the society to be typed by people. And how could you say she doesn't contribute much? She's a singer, and some people love her songs. Is that not a worthwhile contribution? She's an entertainer. And that's a contribution.

Wow, who are you, the ultimate judge on the human intellect? And I think it's unfair to call her dumb or anyone else for that matter. And how could you call her dumb? She's getting famous, making millions, winning awards and is superb at adapting. That all suggests that she's quite CLEVER. And being clever is being smart. Very Very smart.

ScottJames

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
In my opinion Katy Perry is pretty clearly an ENFJ. I don't get too in-depth in this profile, as it's not for hard-core mbti geeks like us, but here's a quick take: http://theintuitivemusician.com/mbti-profile-katy-perry-enfj/

Not much doubt that she's Fe primary - and certainly not an SJ. If you've profiled enough ENFJs you'll see she's a fit. Check out the video at the beginning of the post.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I could see as one of any of these types: ESFP, ENFP, ESFJ. She seems like a core 2w3 or 7w6