User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Katy Perry?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 56789 Last

Thread: Katy Perry

Don't be fooled by the public image of an entertainer. Extroverts are "attentive". Introverts want "attention". Extroverts are focused on the world around them. Introverts are focused on themselves. Extroverts want to make a good impression. Introverts think they really are impressive.

Katy Perry craves attention. INTJ's love being admired because they believe they really are admirable.

This is how it works. Katy's dominant system is her nervous system because she is primarily ectomorphic. The nervous system is interested in maintaining the boundary. The nervous system defines the "self" and is really the ego boundary. Thinking is primarily an introverted activity because it is dealing with information that has already been received from the environment and digested. The sensory system is extroverted because it gathers data "outside (external)" in the environment. Thinking is processing the data that has been stored inside (internal) the brain - it is therefore introverted.

Katy's second function is her orientational system. The orientational system scans the environment looking for "difference". So basically the integrated description of Katy's personality is "searching for identity and status". This makes her hyper sensitive to her position on the hierarchy. She's fearfully looking for anything that would knock her off her pedestal. And she looks for ways to distinguish herself as unique over her competition.

Her lowest functions are a combination of endomorphy (feeling) and mesomorphy (control) She is conflicted in areas of control and attachment. She is very independent and resists control on the one hand but wants independence without struggle.

An extroverts bragging and antics is a little easier to tolerate than the insidious fake smiles, and winks of the introvert in her effort to shore up her image by "acting" sociable.
    “Sheldon considers human beings as they really are - psycho-physical wholes.”

“the first serious advance of the science of man since Aristotle”

“For the first time the old insights and intuitions about the different kinds of human beings have been clarified and put on a firmly objective and measurable basis.”
    ___“Aldous Huxley/ A Biography” Sybille Bedford, 1974

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4?

I don't think there was anything correct in the previous post.

Introverts do not crave more attention, and are not more self oriented. They are typically more open and honest, and seek deeper relationships rather than superficial socialization. This is because more intimate friends cause less cortical arousal, and introverts have naturally high levels of cortical arousal and cannot easily handle being overstimulated by groups of strangers.

Being physically ectomorphic, mesomorphic, or endomorphic has no effect on personality.

An INTJ used extroverted thinking, and relies more heavily on their introverted perceiving process of intuition.

Searching for differences is an introverted sensing thing, ans Si is the least developed trait in INTJs.

magister343:

Being physically ectomorphic, mesomorphic, or endomorphic has no effect on personality.
    Research has shown that there is a significant correlation between temperament and personality.

See Cortes, J.E. and Gatti, F.M. (1965) "Physique and Self-Description of Temperament" in J. Counsulting Psychol. , Vo. 29, No.5, 432-439

You are generally right about introversion. But, introversion is not one dimensional. There are stable introverts who tend to be passive and heteronomous and there are unstable introverts who tend to be more autonomous. I didn't make that distinction because most people look at things as more absolute. Katy Perry's desire for attention is modulated by her ectomorphy. Because Jungian based typologies are based on dichotomous functions people are either "extroverted" and assumed to carry the whole loading of extroverted traits or they are "introverted". The reality is that extroversion/introversion appears in test results as a continuum with most people in the 65% middle of the bell curve.

Using somatotype a person is extroverted if the sum of the orientational dimension and mesomorphy exceeds the sum of ectomorphy and endomorphy. This would make Katy Perry slightly extroverted. Katy Perry is highest in the unstable introvert area and this type is very concerned with their boundary and identity which is expressed as hyperattentionality or vigilance. It is not a wide scanning of the environment but rather a sensitivity to encroachment on territory.

What I am saying through all this obfuscation is that all introversion is not the same.

“For the first time the old insights and intuitions about the different kinds of human beings have been clarified and put on a firmly objective and measurable basis.”

Based on this new interview, what type would everyone guess she is?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOtJUmiUZ08"].[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

ENTJ

I always thought ENTP, possibly ENFP, definitely EN to me. I see Te, Ne or Ni, not much Se or Si and def. Fi over Fe.

I just realized that Babylon Candle already posted the video above earlier in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    ENTJ

I always thought ENTP, possibly ENFP, definitely EN to me. I see Te, Ne or Ni, not much Se or Si and def. Fi over Fe.
    Where do you get the J from? I'm asking not as a challenge, but because I wonder if there's something I missed. She seems to like spontaneity, unstructured life, going with the flow, and being open to new things. She surprised-crashed a prom, and has a Sanskrit tattoo on her arm which says "go with the flow."

Using blasphemy as entertainment is as cheap as a comedian telling a fart joke.
    Katy Perry tweeting about Lady GaGa.

Katy Perry had a prolonged adolescence because of her strict religious upbringing. Her comments about Lady GaGa were obviously a matter of slamming the competition but how conveniently she chooses a moralistic position.

Paul Tieger says in his book "The Art of Speedreading People" about "How to spot an INTJ" Because INTJ's are such complex people, their sentences are frequently so long and complicated, and usually involve so many related thoughts, that others may have difficulty understanding them."

About her tatoo. People have tatoos for various purposes; statement of love for someone, self-description, aesthetics and injunctive reminders. "Go with the flow" seems like a reminder to do something she doesn't ordinarily do but feels she ought to do.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Psychdigg View Post
    magister343:

Research has shown that there is a significant correlation between temperament and personality.

See Cortes, J.E. and Gatti, F.M. (1965) "Physique and Self-Description of Temperament" in J. Counsulting Psychol. , Vo. 29, No.5, 432-439

You are generally right about introversion. But, introversion is not one dimensional. There are stable introverts who tend to be passive and heteronomous and there are unstable introverts who tend to be more autonomous. I didn't make that distinction because most people look at things as more absolute. Katy Perry's desire for attention is modulated by her ectomorphy. Because Jungian based typologies are based on dichotomous functions people are either "extroverted" and assumed to carry the whole loading of extroverted traits or they are "introverted". The reality is that extroversion/introversion appears in test results as a continuum with most people in the 65% middle of the bell curve.

Using somatotype a person is extroverted if the sum of the orientational dimension and mesomorphy exceeds the sum of ectomorphy and endomorphy. This would make Katy Perry slightly extroverted. Katy Perry is highest in the unstable introvert area and this type is very concerned with their boundary and identity which is expressed as hyperattentionality or vigilance. It is not a wide scanning of the environment but rather a sensitivity to encroachment on territory.

What I am saying through all this obfuscation is that all introversion is not the same.
    Do you have anything more recent than that? Psychology has changed quite a bit since the 60s. Although there is a "citation needed" marker there, wikipedia does say that most scientists consider psychological linkages to somototypes to be outdated and oversimplistic. I vaguely recall a lecture in my General Psychology class last fall where the professor debunked it more thoroughly.

Katy Perry tweeting about Lady GaGa.

Katy Perry had a prolonged adolescence because of her strict religious upbringing. Her comments about Lady GaGa were obviously a matter of slamming the competition but how conveniently she chooses a moralistic position.
    Before this tweet, she and her fiance, comedian Russell Brand, had apparently been engaged in some gassy dialog:

Russell Brand Calls Katy Perry A 'Flatulence Factory' - News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Brand
    That woman is like a flatulence factory. The pop hits that she fires out of her mouth are nothing compared to what comes out the other end of her!
    Does somatotype theory have any predictions to make based upon gastrointestinal flatulence functionality?

It's an assumption that the "moralistic position" was chosen rather than a genuine reflection of her perspective on spiritual issues.

Paul Tieger says in his book "The Art of Speedreading People" about "How to spot an INTJ" Because INTJ's are such complex people, their sentences are frequently so long and complicated, and usually involve so many related thoughts, that others may have difficulty understanding them."
    I don't see how this relates to Katy Perry.

Magister:

Unfortunately somatotype/personality research has pretty much stopped. But, not because Sheldon's work was ever debunked.

Even though professors bad-mouth Sheldon you won't find a single study that has tried to duplicate Sheldon's work using the procedures that Sheldon advocated. Sheldon is mentioned in almost every Psych 101 textbook and then dismissed. Why don't they just quit talking about him. You would think that disproving such an "erroneous" theory would be an easy masters or doctoral thesis. But the usual method of disproving a scientific theory - replication with contradictory results -has been completely bypassed.

Why? There is a simple reason. When Sheldon started his work he somatotyped thousands of people in Ivy League Colleges, Military, Mental Institutions using NUDE photographs. At a certain point in time institutions would no longer permit this. You aren't going to find anyone today who will take their clothes off for such a study. In fact Hillary Clinton was part of a group that had some of Sheldon's somatotype photos at the Smithsonian destroyed because her picture was in a batch of photos from when she was a freshman.

Another complicating factor is that Sheldon's method was a skill that had to be learned much like livestock judging. Fortunately he objectified his method so it no longer required skilled judgement but actual physical measurements. One of his assistants Barbara Heath spun off from Sheldon and came up with a method of measuring bone width and subcutaneous fat and thereby avoided nude photos. This method is very popular amongst olympic trainers and college coaches. There is some correlation between the Heath-Carter method and Sheldon's but they differ because Sheldon's method indicated the basic body structure doesn't change and there fore represents the genotypical body. However, Sheldon's method continued to require a nude photo.

I have been studying this for over 30 years. I have discovered a way to objectively somatotype people fully clothed - and completely congruent with Sheldon's final method.
    My intentions are to make this available to researchers who may be more inclined to test Sheldon's theory without the old stigma of nude photographs.

This is a recent development on my part. No one else knows how to do it. And it is an uphill battle because of the unjust classifying of Sheldon's work as pseudo science.

I have posted some blogs on this site that deal with somatotype more extensively.