User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Katy Perry?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 31112131415 Last

Thread: Katy Perry

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, so that they don't do or say anything stupid like drink/drug themselves into oblivion/make racist or sexist remarks/say something to garner public disapproval. Not so that they can imitate being an S to appeal to an S population.
    Yeah I totally agree with you. My ISTJ friend doesn't listen to Katy Perry, and if you even suggested that my ESFJ ex do so, he'd laugh his ass off at you.

So not all Ss like Katy Perry, not all people who like Katy Perry are S, and furthermore, I have a hard time picturing image consultants sitting around saying "okay, since most of the population is MBTI Sensors, we'd like it if you'd dress sexy."

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, so that they don't do or say anything stupid like drink/drug themselves into oblivion/make racist or sexist remarks/say something to garner public disapproval. Not so that they can imitate being an S to appeal to an S population.
    Your statement is true for some image consultants. I have no idea how the music industry works, but I'd bet the record label has marketing and PR people who know something about appealing to the most people possible. It doesn't take knowledge of MBTI theory. It can be simplified down to basic communication skills like knowing the audience and appealing to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah I totally agree with you. My ISTJ friend doesn't listen to Katy Perry, and if you even suggested that my ESFJ ex do so, he'd laugh his ass off at you.

So not all Ss like Katy Perry, not all people who like Katy Perry are S,
    It's not surprising at all that some Ss don't like Katy Perry. That doesn't indicate anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    and furthermore, I have a hard time picturing image consultants sitting around saying "okay, since most of the population is MBTI Sensors, we'd like it if you'd dress sexy."
    Those PR types are fairly in-tune with what appeals to the most people.

Ha ha! I didn't realize that dressing sexy only appealed to Ss. You're trying to confuse me and make me take the MBTI again to confirm my N preference aren't you?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No, I was being facetious about the sexy thing because clearly sex sells to many humans, not simply Sensor types, and in fact sex might sell more readily to an adventurous ENFP looking for shiny things, or an Se-driven ENTJ than an ISFJ who ties his sexuality extremely closely to his or her religious beliefs (not saying that all ENFPs, ENTJs, or ISFJs are like that, just saying this is very much a possibility with the various types).

I don't see what is necessarily S about Katy Perry if you don't mean her extremely sexualized image. Do you mean that she plays popular music?

We could argue all day about music...or rather *I* could argue all day about music. What about the ISFPs who elevate music to a complex art form of sound? What about the ISTJs who think that classical music is better than anything that could possibly be played on the radio?

It's true that we can stereotype INTx, for example, playing extremely technical, industrial, electronic "experimental" music (I know stereotypical INTP music when I hear it, it hardly even sounds like music but like some electronic, intellectually pretentious jerk-off session) ....but anyway some of the biggest music snobs I've known have been Sensors. It's not a Sensor thing to prefer popular music.

Simulated World, an ENTP musician and music teacher, believes that popular music is an extremely valid form of music and is in the process of producing a pop album (or may have already done so, just by last time I talked to him). I was also conversing with an INFP on this site just yesterday, where I was extolling the virtues of musically complex guitar solos in classic rock, and he admitted his favorite kind of music is R&B and pop.

I also like pop myself, I actually have very eclectic taste in music, and listen to everything from Mozart to Duran Duran to Bob Seger to Tori Amos to Dead Mou5. I also think a couple of Katy Perry songs are catchy.

We can say that some people only listen to simplistic pop, but is it because they're Sensors, or just because they're people who aren't big into music so never delved too deeply into it and just turn on the radio occasionally or go out to dance clubs sometimes. Is it just because they aren't musically inclined, not because they're a certain personality type?

EDIT: Actually ignore the intelligence argument that's not a good argument, because since there are many types of intelligence (and Musical intelligence is in my top two) it's possible that Musical is the lowest for some people, just like Mathematical is pretty damn low for me. Maybe basic pop is to those people what basic math is to me...necessary or even pleasant to have (I'm actually quite good at counting and handling money, I always had impeccable drawers when I cashiered and carried large amounts of cash both as a waitress and a dancer) ...but not so good at the more complex stuff. Like I hate Algebra. They just have no interest in anything that goes beyond "catchy" or "makes me feel happy." And that's okay. It just means music isn't one of their top priorities or skills.

Popular music is popular because something about it appeals to most humans. Not because they're Sensors, but because it's catchy, I think. There's something to it, perhaps a formula, that simply appeals to the human ear/brain.

figsfiggyfigs

HOW is this girl famous? gefus....

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by YWIR View Post
    HOW is this girl famous? gefus....
    Well the most likely bet is that people like her music and she went with a major record labeling group.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I think classical music *is* the best thing played on the radio nowadays....
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Your statement is true for some image consultants. I have no idea how the music industry works, but I'd bet the record label has marketing and PR people who know something about appealing to the most people possible. It doesn't take knowledge of MBTI theory. It can be simplified down to basic communication skills like knowing the audience and appealing to them.
    1. That's a simplistic view of the role of the audience. Don't you think a large part of her "appeal" is manufactured? Artists aren't popular simply because they appeal to the audience; they are popular because the audience is manipulated into finding them appealing.

2. What part of this "mass appeal" do you think is related to S? If you went any further than that statement, and you really broke it down (by Se and Si, at the very least), I bet the only material you'd have for that argument would be shitty stereotypes.

3. How much of her popularity can be attributed to her persona and not simply to her style of music/advertising/radio play/non-interview promotional maneuvers? Surely it plays a part, but not so much of a part that her personality is being regulated at fundamental levels.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Ginkgo

If Katy Perry is manipulating her audience, you are part of her audience, and you hate her...

Is she manipulating you into hating her?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    If Katy Perry is manipulating her audience, you are part of her audience, and you hate her...

Is she manipulating you into hating her?
    Yes, that bitch.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

figsfiggyfigs

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I think classical music *is* the best thing played on the radio nowadays....
    It always has been.