• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pope Francis, the Laughing Pope

What Personality Type is Pope Francis, the Laughing Pope?

• INTP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTJ

• ENTP

• ESFP

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• 1w2

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w4

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w7

• 8w9

• 9w8

• Total voters

Evastover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
er... I don't mean to be a bonehead, but where did you get the monarch/infallible thing...? ._.

If you're referring to papal infallibility, that only applies to official statements on doctrine, according to the church. Otherwise, the Catholic Church recognizes him as a normal bloke who can make all sorts of mistakes. Just look at some of the past popes who have held mistresses, practiced nepotism, lived in unreasonable excess, etc. Even the church recognizes that declaring the pope completely infallible would be ridiculous. He's only human.

Also, in reference to not allowing women to hold religious offices, forbidding contraception, that sort of thing- he's only professing what the Catholics believe. People aren't forced to do anything and are certainly welcome to live their lives as they wish. It doesn't seem to be hurting anyone...? If someone wants to use contraception, get an abortion, hold a religious office as a woman, or something else that the church doesn't agree with, they can do as they please.

In regards to refusing to hand over information on the child abuse scandal- though I agree that he should, I could understand why he wouldn't want to. The media would further scandalize an already bad situation as much as possible to garner more views/attention. I'm not saying that it's right; it's not. I'm not even defending his stance. I'm just saying that I can understand it.

But comparing that to all the good he's done? He doesn't seem like a half-bad guy, at least so far...

I apologize if I butted in on an ongoing conversation ._.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you're referring to papal infallibility, that only applies to official statements on doctrine, according to the church.
That's what "ex cathedra" refers to.

Also, in reference to not allowing women to hold religious offices, forbidding contraception, that sort of thing- he's only professing what the Catholics believe. People aren't forced to do anything and are certainly welcome to live their lives as they wish. It doesn't seem to be hurting anyone...? If someone wants to use contraception, get an abortion, hold a religious office as a woman, or something else that the church doesn't agree with, they can do as they please.
They can, but they risk being thrown out of the church (excomunication), or denied communion. Still, it's better than burning at the stake. No one has to be Catholic.

But comparing that to all the good he's done? He doesn't seem like a half-bad guy, at least so far...
Francis brings a much-needed humility and "walk-the-walk" attitude to the church. I don't see how it can be bad, especially considering some of his predecessors.

Mole

Permabanned
he's only professing what the Catholics believe. People aren't forced to do anything and are certainly welcome to live their lives as they wish. It doesn't seem to be hurting anyone...?

C'mon, the institution of Catholicism has raped tens of thousands of children, damaging their psyches, and damaging their lives. Then this same institution covered it all up.

It took a nine year Irish Judicial Enquiry into child abuse, and an Australian Royal Commisssion into Institutional Child Abuse, to reveal the horror of it all, and the complete betrayal of children in their care.

Evastover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
C'mon, the institution of Catholicism has raped tens of thousands of children, damaging their psyches, and damaging their lives. Then this same institution covered it all up.

It took a nine year Irish Judicial Enquiry into child abuse, and an Australian Royal Commisssion into Institutional Child Abuse, to reveal the horror of it all, and the complete betrayal of children in their care.

I agree that the rape and abuse done to children at the hands of priests and bishops was absolutely awful- but has Pope Francis himself done anything to further or defend that aside from declining to release the statistics concerning the incident? Furthermore, not all catholics are in line with the church, nor is it universally decided upon where exactly the church stands in terms of their religion- would it be correct to say that Catholicism has caused this, instead of just the church? Or was that just a semantic-thing?

I'm asking questions, not making statements. I genuinely want to know and am open to any new information/opinions on the issue. I don't know enough about the subject, so please correct me if I get any information wrong/misinterpret anything.

Also, I think we've gotten off-topic from the thread title. But again, I was sort of interrupting an already ongoing discussion so disregard if you want.

Mole

Permabanned
I agree that the rape and abuse done to children at the hands of priests and bishops was absolutely awful- but has Pope Francis himself done anything to further or defend that aside from declining to release the statistics concerning the incident? Furthermore, not all catholics are in line with the church, nor is it universally decided upon where exactly the church stands in terms of their religion- would it be correct to say that Catholicism has caused this, instead of just the church? Or was that just a semantic-thing?

I'm asking questions, not making statements. I genuinely want to know and am open to any new information/opinions on the issue. I don't know enough about the subject, so please correct me if I get any information wrong/misinterpret anything.

Also, I think we've gotten off-topic from the thread title. But again, I was sort of interrupting an already ongoing discussion so disregard if you want.

To understand the history of institutional child abuse and child abuse in the church, we need first to read and understand the history of childhood. We need to understand the history of child rearing practices.

It is extraordinary to me that on a site devoted to psychology and personality nothing is known about the effect of child rearing practices on the formation of personality.

It is obvious to me that this historical blindness to child rearing is in the interests of creating a happy clappy mbti cult.

Nicodemus

He's only human.
Except when it comes to official statements on doctrine; then he is infallible. I trust, though, that nobody actually believes that anymore.

If someone wants to use contraception, get an abortion, hold a religious office as a woman, or something else that the church doesn't agree with, they can do as they please.
Women cannot hold the religious offices people are demanding they get access to because the church does not grant them access. For instance, a woman, no matter how headstrong, simply cannot become pope because she lacks the necessary penis.

Evastover

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Women cannot hold the religious offices people are demanding they get access to because the church does not grant them access. For instance, a woman, no matter how headstrong, simply cannot become pope because she lacks the necessary penis.

I meant that they could in other religions; for instance, the Episcopal church.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The Curse of the Pope!

True story:

Everytime a head of state (Prime Minister or President) from my country has invited a pope to the country, that head of state and the ruling party has been overthrown and eachtime the pope has been welcomed by a different head of state.

It has happened 3 freaking times!!!!!!!!!!

1970, 1995 and 2015.

So the new saying is, if you want to overthrow a government, invite the pope.

Mole

Permabanned
On his plane trip to the Philippines Pope Francis spoke to the reporters and said that he is against Charlie Hebdo.

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Bam, take this Frank haters! :p

Oh God, I don't know if those accounts are the real ones or not, but either way, that's brilliant. :rotfl:

Bknight

Lost in the Multiverse
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
On his plane trip to the Philippines Pope Francis spoke to the reporters and said that he is against Charlie Hebdo.

He said that he disapproved of their methods, not that he was against them entirely. He has sympathy for their loss and subsequent struggles. He felt that they were insulting and antagonizing even non-radical Muslims, which is probably true.

plastic ciel

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ESFJ I would think. He's so nice and engaging (Fe)

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He seems to speak a lot against poverty and the ill effects/greed of capitalism . That's okay I guess. But it would be better if he starts with his own home by acknowledging the pedophile cover up incident of the church and for once apologize for all the horrors the catholic church has brought upon non-believers.

I am getting tired of him.

Came to our country recently. As a gift to the local cardinal he gave a document (missionary zeal) signed by the then pope (which was around 500 years ago) giving rights to Portuguese missionaries to force convert non-believers. What an asshole.

The Portuguese missionaries believing they are following the commandments of God committed a shit ton of atrocities in our country (and around world of course).