User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Pope Francis, the Laughing Pope?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 3456 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 55

  1. #41
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephano View Post
    Pope Francis isn't almighty and powerful
    Pope Francis is the last absolute Monarch, and, ex cathedra, he is infallible.

  2. #42
    Member Evastover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFj Fi
    Posts
    79

    Default

    er... I don't mean to be a bonehead, but where did you get the monarch/infallible thing...? ._.

    If you're referring to papal infallibility, that only applies to official statements on doctrine, according to the church. Otherwise, the Catholic Church recognizes him as a normal bloke who can make all sorts of mistakes. Just look at some of the past popes who have held mistresses, practiced nepotism, lived in unreasonable excess, etc. Even the church recognizes that declaring the pope completely infallible would be ridiculous. He's only human.

    Also, in reference to not allowing women to hold religious offices, forbidding contraception, that sort of thing- he's only professing what the Catholics believe. People aren't forced to do anything and are certainly welcome to live their lives as they wish. It doesn't seem to be hurting anyone...? If someone wants to use contraception, get an abortion, hold a religious office as a woman, or something else that the church doesn't agree with, they can do as they please.

    In regards to refusing to hand over information on the child abuse scandal- though I agree that he should, I could understand why he wouldn't want to. The media would further scandalize an already bad situation as much as possible to garner more views/attention. I'm not saying that it's right; it's not. I'm not even defending his stance. I'm just saying that I can understand it.

    But comparing that to all the good he's done? He doesn't seem like a half-bad guy, at least so far...

    I apologize if I butted in on an ongoing conversation ._.

  3. #43
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,556

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evastover View Post
    If you're referring to papal infallibility, that only applies to official statements on doctrine, according to the church.
    That's what "ex cathedra" refers to.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evastover View Post
    Also, in reference to not allowing women to hold religious offices, forbidding contraception, that sort of thing- he's only professing what the Catholics believe. People aren't forced to do anything and are certainly welcome to live their lives as they wish. It doesn't seem to be hurting anyone...? If someone wants to use contraception, get an abortion, hold a religious office as a woman, or something else that the church doesn't agree with, they can do as they please.
    They can, but they risk being thrown out of the church (excomunication), or denied communion. Still, it's better than burning at the stake. No one has to be Catholic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evastover View Post
    But comparing that to all the good he's done? He doesn't seem like a half-bad guy, at least so far...
    Francis brings a much-needed humility and "walk-the-walk" attitude to the church. I don't see how it can be bad, especially considering some of his predecessors.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes Bknight liked this post

  4. #44
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evastover View Post
    he's only professing what the Catholics believe. People aren't forced to do anything and are certainly welcome to live their lives as they wish. It doesn't seem to be hurting anyone...?
    C'mon, the institution of Catholicism has raped tens of thousands of children, damaging their psyches, and damaging their lives. Then this same institution covered it all up.

    It took a nine year Irish Judicial Enquiry into child abuse, and an Australian Royal Commisssion into Institutional Child Abuse, to reveal the horror of it all, and the complete betrayal of children in their care.

  5. #45
    Member Evastover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFj Fi
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mole View Post
    C'mon, the institution of Catholicism has raped tens of thousands of children, damaging their psyches, and damaging their lives. Then this same institution covered it all up.

    It took a nine year Irish Judicial Enquiry into child abuse, and an Australian Royal Commisssion into Institutional Child Abuse, to reveal the horror of it all, and the complete betrayal of children in their care.
    I agree that the rape and abuse done to children at the hands of priests and bishops was absolutely awful- but has Pope Francis himself done anything to further or defend that aside from declining to release the statistics concerning the incident? Furthermore, not all catholics are in line with the church, nor is it universally decided upon where exactly the church stands in terms of their religion- would it be correct to say that Catholicism has caused this, instead of just the church? Or was that just a semantic-thing?

    I'm asking questions, not making statements. I genuinely want to know and am open to any new information/opinions on the issue. I don't know enough about the subject, so please correct me if I get any information wrong/misinterpret anything.

    Also, I think we've gotten off-topic from the thread title. But again, I was sort of interrupting an already ongoing discussion so disregard if you want.

  6. #46
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evastover View Post
    I agree that the rape and abuse done to children at the hands of priests and bishops was absolutely awful- but has Pope Francis himself done anything to further or defend that aside from declining to release the statistics concerning the incident? Furthermore, not all catholics are in line with the church, nor is it universally decided upon where exactly the church stands in terms of their religion- would it be correct to say that Catholicism has caused this, instead of just the church? Or was that just a semantic-thing?

    I'm asking questions, not making statements. I genuinely want to know and am open to any new information/opinions on the issue. I don't know enough about the subject, so please correct me if I get any information wrong/misinterpret anything.

    Also, I think we've gotten off-topic from the thread title. But again, I was sort of interrupting an already ongoing discussion so disregard if you want.
    To understand the history of institutional child abuse and child abuse in the church, we need first to read and understand the history of childhood. We need to understand the history of child rearing practices.

    It is extraordinary to me that on a site devoted to psychology and personality nothing is known about the effect of child rearing practices on the formation of personality.

    It is obvious to me that this historical blindness to child rearing is in the interests of creating a happy clappy mbti cult.

  7. #47
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evastover View Post
    He's only human.
    Except when it comes to official statements on doctrine; then he is infallible. I trust, though, that nobody actually believes that anymore.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evastover View Post
    If someone wants to use contraception, get an abortion, hold a religious office as a woman, or something else that the church doesn't agree with, they can do as they please.
    Women cannot hold the religious offices people are demanding they get access to because the church does not grant them access. For instance, a woman, no matter how headstrong, simply cannot become pope because she lacks the necessary penis.

  8. #48
    Member Evastover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFj Fi
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Women cannot hold the religious offices people are demanding they get access to because the church does not grant them access. For instance, a woman, no matter how headstrong, simply cannot become pope because she lacks the necessary penis.
    I meant that they could in other religions; for instance, the Episcopal church.

  9. #49
    Senior Member riva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    2,078

    Default The Curse of the Pope!

    True story:

    Everytime a head of state (Prime Minister or President) from my country has invited a pope to the country, that head of state and the ruling party has been overthrown and eachtime the pope has been welcomed by a different head of state.

    It has happened 3 freaking times!!!!!!!!!!

    1970, 1995 and 2015.

    So the new saying is, if you want to overthrow a government, invite the pope.
    .

  10. #50
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Default

    On his plane trip to the Philippines Pope Francis spoke to the reporters and said that he is against Charlie Hebdo.

Similar Threads

  1. Pope Francis, the reformer
    By Stephano in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-27-2013, 11:51 AM
  2. [INTJ] The Pope an INTJ
    By fragrance in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
  3. Paying for the Pope
    By Salomé in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 07:54 PM
  4. Is the Paedo-Pope ISTJ?
    By Heart&Brain in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-25-2010, 07:44 AM
  5. The New Seven Deadly Sins- Courtesy of the Pope - do you agree and what is your list?
    By Geoff in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 03:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO