• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Edward Snowden

What Personality Type is Edward Snowden?

• ENFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENFJ

• ENTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ISTP

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w7

• 8w9

• 9w8

• Total voters

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Edward Snowden

You Must Be Registered To Vote

ISTP? INTJ? ISTJ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, it seems to me that when he talks he talks big, airy mechanism. In fact, his language includes a lot of accidental ambiguity--for eg. "when you talk to people about them, in a place like this where this is the normal state of business"--that arises from him knowing what he's referring to but us having to choose something before we can understand where he's gone with that. That doesn't formally rule out INTP, of course. It just makes him sound, to me, like Ni. But before I say INTJ, the lack of a high school diploma and the attempt to join special forces is throwing me. Is he really an under-educated INTJ? Or is he ISTP, because when they get going they sound weird and airy too. I don't know a reason to positively say INTP one way or another. (Except perhaps that he's too plainly scared to be INTP, whatever that means.)

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm going with INTP.
(Except perhaps that he's too plainly scared to be INTP, whatever that means.)

What *does* that mean? IXTJs are ALL cowards?
I'm not going to argue with you, but it seems like a strange assertion....

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm going with INTP.

What *does* that mean? IXTJs are ALL cowards?
I'm not going to argue with you, but it seems like a strange assertion....

In the video he appears confident of what he is saying, but there's an undercurrent. He is willing to go through with what he has decided to do, and he will speak what he thinks is enough background to explain what he is going to do, but in his manner there is an impatience. It looks like fear. I think it looks like fear of the moment. He has the grand understanding, but the moment is slipping away from him. Will people understand? Will he have done right? Will he lose it all because he gets caught? It looks like the anxiety that goes with closure thinking.

I may project.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
In the video he appears confident of what he is saying, but there's an undercurrent. He is willing to go through with what he has decided to do, and he will speak what he thinks is enough background to explain what he is going to do, but in his manner there is an impatience. It looks like fear. I think it looks like fear of the moment. He has the grand understanding, but the moment is slipping away from him. Will people understand? Will he have done right? Will he lose it all because he gets caught? It looks like the anxiety that goes with closure thinking.

I may project.
How can impatience look like fear? You do come out with some oddities.

It's natural for anyone to be afraid when they make themselves public enemy #1 of the most unscrupulous nation in the free world. Even when that someone is a kick-ass INTP.
He has the classic "deer-in-the-headlights" INTP look. Also the trademark monotone. He feels "compelled" to talk. He's not interested in celebrity, it's a necessary evil. Hence, what you perceive as impatience. (IxTJs, otoh, love the sound of their own voices - almost as much as they love the smell of their own farts). Dropping out of formal education / the military / the system is entirely consistent with INTPness. As is his näive idealism. It's hard to imagine any IxTJ having a problem with "turn-key tyranny"....when he is holding the key.
If this were not compelling enough, he's much too cute to be any kind of J.

Evil Otter

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6

It's natural for anyone to be afraid when they make themselves public enemy #1 of the most unscrupulous nation in the free world. Even when that someone is a kick-ass INTP.
He has the classic "deer-in-the-headlights" INTP look. Also the trademark monotone. He feels "compelled" to talk. He's not interested in celebrity, it's a necessary evil. Hence, what you perceive as impatience. (IxTJs, otoh, love the sound of their own voices - almost as much as they love the smell of their own farts). Dropping out of formal education / the military / the system is entirely consistent with INTPness. As is his näive idealism. It's hard to imagine any IxTJ having a problem with "turn-key tyranny"....when he is holding the key.

This is beautifully done. take your pick...
http://imgur.com/mgsoD1D
http://imgur.com/0oTJxLt
http://imgur.com/fqeVhd8

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Im sorry no Peter Pan is in no way an ISTJ or even ISTP.

I would go INTP or even INFP for him. I thought he might be narcissistic INTJ at first but no I don't think so.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ

If the impatience is a product of a need for control, and that need is exaggerated by awareness that the outcome is in doubt...

I saw him first. INTJ.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx

His self absorption indicates Ji dom to me,unless he were INTJ in an ni/fi loop, but people in introverted loops are unlikely to take great outward risks which would require more balance.

His entire life seems to point to avoiding or being annoyed by Te, as well.

What he did was wildly impractical and underthought and inefficient to be a Te type, too. I doubt him being an Se type because he's like thirty and has a sort of idealism that only marginally has anything to do with reality.

I think INxP is a good fit for little lord Snowden.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
NT without a doubt. What's the case for him being an introvert and not an extrovert, though?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
INTx without a doubt.

I saw you initially write same type as Ron Paul.

That would be INFP.

Why? Paul is a wide eyed warm hearted idealistic old man who spent his life serving others and furthermore fetishizes Si, which gives him a pseudo ISxJ old fashioned past worshipping quality. He means well but seems utterly oblivious to how badly things might go if his ideas were actually applied.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting.... meanwhile, GWB is a definite ESFP. I see no other type as a possibility, honestly.

Ron Paul is lovely as a person but probably unintentionally diabolical as a politician. His earnest idealism influences others, but the reason he's not taken very seriously is because despite the fact he has some good points I agree with, his platform if enacted as a whole is an impractical nightmare.

I've mostly seen Dubya listed as ESTP actually, though I have even seen ESTJ I am pretty sure that's wrong, George Sr is ISTJ.

Reagan was ESFP and so was Bill Clinton. Mikhail Gorbachev was SEE in Socionics.

Being Se dom is not what made W a questionable president. Though it gave him a very tactical outlook regarding war and a charm that swayed people. I hated him as a president but am aware of his charm and why some people would trust his face.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I agree with INTP, for most of the reasons you cite. I also see in Snowden a drive for the Truth, which often attends that type. He wants the truth to be known, and hopes that will be enough to bring about change, but knows it probably won't be. I can see an INTJ having a big problem with turnkey tyranny, and gaining that key just to be in a position to do something about it. An INTJ, though, would have brought the whole system crashing down some afternoon as Snowden did not, and would have been safely installed in some welcoming state by the time anyone knew any better. Then and only then would be time to tell all.

Rasofy

royal member
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
His speech pattern reminded me of Matrix's Architect, so I think INTP works best.

Which would be weird, as I've never seen an INTP that idealistic.

I agree with INTP, for most of the reasons you cite. I also see in Snowden a drive for the Truth, which often attends that type. He wants the truth to be known, and hopes that will be enough to bring about change, but knows it probably won't be.
Oh, that's a great explanation of his real motivation.

I was thinking more in terms of "be the change you wanna be in the world" kind of idealism, which wasn't making much sense as a direct focus; but to reveal the truth to the world (even though that might not change things much) would be the kind of motivation that suits the INTP personality perfectly.

INTPs hate lies, and to live a lie forever would be very consuming. I've noticed that most types have better rationalization mechanisms (e.g. "I'm protecting my nation"; "That's best for everyone").

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
I can see an INTJ having a big problem with turnkey tyranny, and gaining that key just to be in a position to do something about it. An INTJ, though, would have brought the whole system crashing down some afternoon as Snowden did not, and would have been safely installed in some welcoming state by the time anyone knew any better. Then and only then would be time to tell all.

Not entirely a realistic option in his case. And he'd have to be a genuine enemy of the US state to do it. On top of that, to travel in anonymity to some foreign state and gain sanctuary, he'd have to trade as a spy. The fanfare he created by going public in Hong Kong started more or less a bidding war in which he didn't have to reveal secrets to foreign powers for them to publicly accept him. In private he might be pressured to trade, but while he was still in Hong Kong, he was getting offers, not demands.

Then he left.

I have no idea where anyone's getting INTP from.