User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Edward Snowden?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 5678917 Last

Thread: Edward Snowden

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    What he is describing is the capability of the NSA. This is just fact. He's egging the pudding a little with his scare-mongering, I'll grant you that. But given his knowledge of the way such agencies operate, it's hardly straying into the territory of science fiction. More a lesson from history.
    What he's interpreting is the future capability of the NSA. He says "getting to the point". The capabilities don't exist yet, though they're getting there. And glaringly missing is any substantial claim about institutional culture. He doesn't say the NSA has an agenda. Objective capabilities exist and no one's at the wheel? The complete case for going public is missing that element. An INTP would miss that? Would an INTJ?

Your only argument seems to be: this guy is paranoid and fails at logic, therefore he's INTJ. You don't think much of your type, do you?
    Pfft, you gave it up a few posts back:

[...] if he turns out to be INTJ [...]
    And this procedure -- J wins only when P concedes -- is good for producing comprehensive analysis that you don't have to do yourself, but meanwhile something soemthing soemthing who cares.

Plus, seriously, you don't see me doing what he did? He said I'm a normal guy, I don;'t have special skills. I said, he's paranoid, and doesn't do logic well. The missing part is, he's also right. There are important things here to see and decide about. How could I not think that my type is very much the bee's knees when it scores a coup like this one? Everyone else wants to split hairs and look at the world just as everyone else does? Let them. They're not the one's getting crazy stuff right.

Ah, hubris. It does show us what needs to be done next. Whatever Snowden has spotted needs to be clarified. The details aren't there yet. He could be wrong. Someone, a large number of people, need to look it all over, and make determinations. Presumably the whole thing'll go wrong if they end up making determinations other than those he made, but at that time we'll know better anyway.

Viola, teh INTJ process.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post
    What he's interpreting is the future capability of the NSA. He says "getting to the point". The capabilities don't exist yet, though they're getting there.
    Yet again you misunderstand him. It's quite clear that the capabilities already exist. What is yet to be built is the archive of "every decision you've ever made". Which, given existing capabilities and existing policies coupled with the passage of time is an inevitability.

His solution to this is a logical one: we change the only variable in this scenario that allows of change: policy. How do we do that in a democracy? By applying public pressure. How do we get the public to care? By informing them a bit, and, if that fails (as it's likely to, given that few people seem to be capable of drawing logical conclusions for themselves), scaring them a bit.
    And glaringly missing is any substantial claim about institutional culture. He doesn't say the NSA has an agenda. Objective capabilities exist and no one's at the wheel? The complete case for going public is missing that element. An INTP would miss that? Would an INTJ?
    Given that it seems important to you, yet unimportant to him, I think you just answered your own question.

Pfft, you gave it up a few posts back:
    I was toying with you. However, I'm always open to new information.

And this procedure -- J wins only when P concedes -- is good for producing comprehensive analysis that you don't have to do yourself, but meanwhile something soemthing soemthing who cares.
    You think there is something to win in this game?
    Interesting.

Plus, seriously, you don't see me doing what he did?
    Um...no. I see you tilting at windmills, mostly, and engaging in power games. Wasting your considerable intellect on trifles. Also building up your part a good deal more than is seemly.

I see him doing the opposite...

INTP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Yeah, it seems to me that when he talks he talks big, airy mechanism. In fact, his language includes a lot of accidental ambiguity--for eg. "when you talk to people about them, in a place like this where this is the normal state of business"--
    Has anybody ever suspected that Snowden wanted to prepare his language in a manner that would be most appropriate for his audience? Or even that the way he talks is more of a result of his educational or a professional background than his temperament?

(Except perhaps that he's too plainly scared to be INTP, whatever that means.)

And of course, the fact that anyone in his position had good reasons to be scared is completely irrelevant! A true INTP just doesn't get scared, right?
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ

Yet again you misunderstand him. It's quite clear that the capabilities already exist. What is yet to be built is the archive of "every decision you've ever made". Which, given existing capabilities and existing policies coupled with the passage of time is an inevitability.

His solution to this is a logical one: we change the only variable in this scenario that allows of change: policy. How do we do that in a democracy? By applying public pressure. How do we get the public to care? By informing them a bit, and, if that fails (as it's likely to, given that few people seem to be capable of drawing logical conclusions for themselves), scaring them a bit.
    That logic can be done with either T function. And by any type.

Given that it seems important to you, yet unimportant to him, I think you just answered your own question.
    Truth be told, the tendency of INTPs to expect behavior policies as part of management practice codes is what lead me to that one. It's all that "policy" "they" need before making choices.

You think there is something to win in this game?
    Interesting.
    Yeah see, you don't want to to do that. INTPs positively insisting on the absence of value in the closing of a case doesn't bode well for calling Mr "We Need This To Be Fixed Now" Snowden one of yours.

Um...no. I see you tilting at windmills, mostly, and engaging in power games. Wasting your considerable intellect on trifles. Also building up your part a good deal more than is seemly.
    Please. I'm pressing for conclusion, not power. Te, not Fe. It will certainly function as power, but it'll also be progressive. Moving things forward. Taking actions. Changing things. Being the superhero.

That Einstein dude? Invented the bomb and then wrung his hands a lot about it. He was right out in front of the scene but still wanted to be behind the scenes making suggestions about bomb policy.

I see him doing the opposite...
    Now that is such bullshit. The nice humble dude with all the logics who is just making suggestions?

I tell you what. Did he have a messy desk? If he did, you can have him.
    Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible profanity, which, translated, meant, "This is extremely unusual."

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    Has anybody ever suspected that Snowden wanted to prepare his language in a manner that would be most appropriate for his audience? Or even that the way he talks is more of a result of his educational or a professional background than his temperament?

[...]

And of course, the fact that anyone in his position had good reasons to be scared is completely irrelevant! A true INTP just doesn't get scared, right?
    Dude...

Okay so, style of speech is off the table, manner of presentation is off the table. Choice of subject matter and expression is off the table as well. If you were trying NOT to display INTP preferences with that post, you didn't succeed. "OH look ma, how lucky, we can't use what it looks like in passing to know what it is! Where did that accident come from, it fits so nicely with how I like to judge?"

Does he display any of that style either? I say no. Let's pretend that's just an opinion.

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Snowden, Part 2

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    INTJ

^ Edward "sort of" Snowden

Boy meets Grr

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Dude...

Okay so, style of speech is off the table, manner of presentation is off the table. Choice of subject matter and expression is off the table as well. If you were trying NOT to display INTP preferences with that post, you didn't succeed. "OH look ma, how lucky, we can't use what it looks like in passing to know what it is! Where did that accident come from, it fits so nicely with how I like to judge?"

Does he display any of that style either? I say no. Let's pretend that's just an opinion.
    Dude! You can't possibly be an NT type, you're too brash and simplistic in your expressions, you've got to be an STP, let's pretend that's just an opinion!
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTJ

Oh please. You raise a perfectly reasonable possibility that totally could exist in the world and it happens also to undermine immediate physical evidence and compel us to find proof only in what cannot be contingent, and you're not "being the NTP"?

Boy meets Grr

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Ed Snowden seems quixotic to me in the way of Inferior Fe. And just wook at that widdle face. :3
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :wubbie:
  • :smile:
  • :D
  • :wink: