User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Edward Snowden?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 9171819202129 Last

Thread: Edward Snowden

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post

Then again it depends on what someone thinks a sin actually is. More than anything though I think his life was tragic. Like any person who find themselves both highly intelligent and focused intensely on one area of interest.
    To be fair, focusing intensely on many areas of interests has its own problems.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

Anew Leaf

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    To be fair, focusing intensely on many areas of interests has its own problems.
    I have an ENTP friend who's major was in Physics.... with 9 minors ranging from chemistry to astrophysics to, of all things, German. When he began looking for a job he was astonished to find that no one was impressed with how many degrees he had.

Then when he got bored with working in a lab he went to New Zealand to get his teaching degree and now he's a high school teacher.

This is why Ne needs to be reigned in like the ocean by land and sand and mountains that rise up but then fall again.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saturned View Post
    I have an ENTP friend who's major was in Physics.... with 9 minors ranging from chemistry to astrophysics to, of all things, German. When he began looking for a job he was astonished to find that no one was impressed with how many degrees he had.

Then when he got bored with working in a lab he went to New Zealand to get his teaching degree and now he's a high school teacher.

This is why Ne needs to be reigned in like the ocean by land and sand and mountains that rise up but then fall again.
    I think one of my favourite quotes that I attribute to Ne, (and since I got onto a discussion about someone who is a chess player I find this somewhat apt), is from Mikhail Tal:

Journalist: It might be inconvenient to interrupt our profound discussion and change the subject slightly, but I would like to know whether extraneous, abstract thoughts ever enter your head while playing a game?

Tal: Yes. For example, I will never forget my game with GM Vasiukov on a USSR Championship. We reached a very complicated position where I was intending to sacrifice a knight. The sacrifice was not obvious; there was a large number of possible variations; but when I began to study hard and work through them, I found to my horror that nothing would come of it. Ideas piled up one after another. I would transport a subtle reply by my opponent, which worked in one case, to another situation where it would naturally prove to be quite useless. As a result my head became filled with a completely chaotic pile of all sorts of moves, and the infamous "tree of variations", from which the chess trainers recommend that you cut off the small branches, in this case spread with unbelievable rapidity.
    And then suddenly, for some reason, I remembered the classic couplet by Korney Ivanović Chukovsky: "Oh, what a difficult job it was. To drag out of the marsh the hippopotamus".

I do not know from what associations the hippopotamus got into the chess board, but although the spectators were convinced that I was continuing to study the position, I, despite my humanitarian education, was trying at this time to work out: just how WOULD you drag a hippopotamus out of the marsh? I remember how jacks figured in my thoughts, as well as levers, helicopters, and even a rope ladder.
    After a lengthy consideration I admitted defeat as an engineer, and thought spitefully to myself: "Well, just let it drown!" And suddenly the hippopotamus disappeared. Went right off the chessboard just as he had come on ... of his own accord! And straightaway the position did not appear to be so complicated. Now I somehow realized that it was not possible to calculate all the variations, and that the knight sacrifice was, by its very nature, purely intuitive. And since it promised an interesting game, I could not refrain from making it.

And the following day, it was with pleasure that I read in the paper how Mikhail Tal, after carefully thinking over the position for 40 minutes, made an accurately calculated piece sacrifice.
    'Consciousness is not simply a sensory-perceptual affair, a matter of mental imagery, as the contents of our mind would have us believe. It is deeply enmeshed with the brain mechanisms that automatically promote action readiness' - Jaak Panksepp

Bobby Fischer's face looks so temptingly slappable.
    I don't have a problem with Fischer's face, but Breivik looks like he's getting an enema.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

All INTJs look like that. It's that damned rod they have rammed up their ass.
    /true stories from the science of VI
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    All INTJs look like that. It's that damned rod they have rammed up their ass.
    /true stories from the science of VI
    You know Salome sometimes you really are quite charming. But still hahaha.
    'Consciousness is not simply a sensory-perceptual affair, a matter of mental imagery, as the contents of our mind would have us believe. It is deeply enmeshed with the brain mechanisms that automatically promote action readiness' - Jaak Panksepp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Then again it depends on what someone thinks a sin actually is. More than anything though I think his life was tragic. Like any person who find themselves both highly intelligent and focused intensely on one area of interest.
    If that area of interest were something like finding a cure for cancer, or development of renewable energy sources, I would think both the individual and everyone else would stand to benefit.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If that area of interest were something like finding a cure for cancer, or development of renewable energy sources, I would think both the individual and everyone else would stand to benefit.
    Of course, they would stand to benefit, but it would not necessarily mean that the individual would enjoy an easy life free of tragedy, there is always a sacrifice for such focus. Not that I am saying this is a good or bad thing, just that it is often the case.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Of course, they would stand to benefit, but it would not necessarily mean that the individual would enjoy an easy life free of tragedy, there is always a sacrifice for such focus. Not that I am saying this is a good or bad thing, just that it is often the case.
    What is sacrificed, and why would such a person be condemned to tragedy? That doesn't follow. Devoting oneself to such a pursuit would lead to individual fulfillment, accomplishment, and the satisfaction of having contributed to society.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    What is sacrificed, and why would such a person be condemned to tragedy? That doesn't follow. Devoting oneself to such a pursuit would lead to individual fulfillment, accomplishment, and the satisfaction of having contributed to society.
    I suppose in my original post I should have used the word could, rather than any. I always forget on these forums that I should fill in the gaps and that literalism goes a long way.