• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robert Downey Jr.

What Personality Type Is Robert Downey Jr.?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INFJ

• ENFJ

• INTP

• INTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ISTP

• ISTJ

• ESTP

• ESTJ

• 1w9

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 3w4

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w4

• 8w7

• 8w9

• 9w8

• 9w1

• Total voters
D

Dali

Girl, you're not kidding. Talk about a must-see. *dark smile*

I'm going to drag my ISFP friend to it. He owes me a movie. :D He'll be pleased I didn't force him to a Bollywood film.

Let me know how your pal receives the movie.

And you did not just call me girl... LOL

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
AHAHA! *sheepish* I should have known by your jaunty hair feathers you were male. :D

*gets out the spatula* Time to spank myself (very lightly on the forearm).

D

Dali

AHAHA! *sheepish* I should have known by your jaunty hair feathers you were male. :D

*gets out the spatula* Time to spank myself (very lightly on the forearm).

LOL. Now, now, let's not hurt our delicate little flower.

*grabs spatula from Domino and passes her a goose feather*

Use this to administer the self-flagellation (if you must). :D

Fecal McAngry

See if I said that, people would complain I'm stating my opinions too factually.
I'm glad I stumbled upon that post, however. I just spent a bit of time watching Jude being interviewed, and in addition to seeing clearly that he uses Fi rather than Fe, I realized that he's a very smart guy & far more than just another pretty face...

I did not know that. My only previous experience watching him was opposite INFP Jennifer Jason Leigh in eXistenZ...

Sample: YouTube - eXistenZ part 6 of 10

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
After watching a film of his with Mel Gibson (infj) also starring, I got the sense that Downy is an entp. A bit more frenetic and on point than I'm used to seeing in enfps.

I believe that that Jude Law character is an esfp (see Kelsey Grammer for comparison).

lane777

nevermore
So I typed Downey as ENTP earlier in the thread, but I didn't bother to go into why. So here goes :D

When Downey is visiting the Actors Studio, and he is asked what other profession he would like to attempt, he immediately says, 'Inventor,' which he's said before. No I'm not bringing this up to be cheesy by pointing out the fact that ENTP's are given the title of Inventor. Rather, I cannot imagine any ENFP showing sincere interest in the profession if they really thought it through. As an inventor, your thought life will be dedicated towards things, while ENFP's are generally more concerned with people.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJqY2yByJ00&feature=related"]Actor's Studio[/YOUTUBE]

Watch 2:20 - 3:43

In the same interview, as shown in the clip above, Downey says, "For me, the default position is... well Judd Nelson used to say, "Listen, smile, agree, and then do the fuck whatever you were gonna do anyway." And I still battle with a little bit of this good boy bad boy thing, but humilitiy doesn't have to mean giving up your position or giving up your intuition. It's just really tough cause the worst thing an actor can do is exhaust somebody for the sake of playing, and that's why I said I hate motives. You know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but there's no reason to waste a bunch of time squeaking and talking, and by the time you're on a set and it's freaking game day it's not the time to say, 'Well I just don't really understand why my character would even like, be having this relationship with her,' and I'd say, 'Ok cause there's no fucking Act 2, now get back to Act 1, moron.' Wait till I start directing, I might run into some of you and I just want to apologize ahead of time. 'Enough of your bullshit - action! Fuck your feelings!' There's places to go deal with your mom and dad issues, and by the time the directors your mom or dad... 'Now I don't even realize I'm therapizing in the wrong place,' now you're really blowing it. And sometimes they (directors) just stink, if the takes are getting worse and worse and worse and you're taking direction, then the director sucks.

...Of the ENFP's I know, I have never known them to be this harsh in bringing a point across, even in jest, as Downey did here.

Downey is far too fluent verbally, to be ENFP. ENFP's can talk, but shit... the speed with which Downey answers questions, choosing his words so well, no backtracking or humming and hawing and no need to pause to consider a response, screams ENTP.

Downey isn't mellow enough to be ENFP... his entire manner is too animated, too lively. And his speech is verbose and staccato by nature, quintessentially ENTP.

Also, I have the feeling that people may be confusing his charm, for ENFP warmth. He's simply friendly, and extremely charistmatic. But warmth, doesn't resonate with me.

I'm sorry about the lack of function talk. As you can see, I tend to focus on behavior when typing. And I haven't touched on all the reasons why I think he's ENTP. Honestly, I don't think I could put it all into words.

Anyways, it would be great if some of you could break down some of the reasons why he comes off as ENFP to you :) cause it's just not sitting right with me. Thoughts?

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
What type do you reckon he is?
HAWT!

ps: listen to fecal mcangry. he the first celebrity "typer" i've seen that knows wtf is up. i mean srsly, mel gibson an INFJ or ENTP? :laugh: I can't see Jude Law as an ENFJ. fecal, what say ye?

See if I said that, people would complain I'm stating my opinions too factually.
that could be because you've got ENTP as your type OR you're too abrasive. these folks like their reality given to them with a side of warm milk. ;)

Fecal McAngry

it would be great if some of you could break down some of the reasons why he comes off as ENFP to you :) cause it's just not sitting right with me. Thoughts?

Here, prove it to yourself:

Get a large sample of written interview text w/RD.

Underline all the Ne-isms--there will be a lot.

Then tally how many of those Ne-isms are supported by logical connections and how many are supported by value-based/subjective connections.

Two important points:

1) Make sure you use a large enough sample size.
2) Make sure you are correct in what you attribute to each judging function (hard part). In some cases, it will be impossible to differentiate.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lane777, I have the same instincts.

He's just too detached. Sure, he can pull off the charming Fe tertiary, but bottom line, he's going to do what he wants when he wants to do it. The ENFP guys I know would not say it so callously, even if they'd be pissed that they feel like they have to accommodate people they don't want to. Downey Jr's just indifferent to all those expectations.

And no, Fecal, why do you need to Te it?
Deconstructing and tallying doesn't always give the right answer.
I've seen enough of these arguments to go around to see people just playing "quote wars" with each other and claiming the person with the most wins; not much different than arguing Bible theology by who can collect the most verses that seem to support one's view. Information is all contextual.

... ps... whatever he is, he's hot and in my top 5 celeb guys.
I went to see Iron Man with some guy friends, and all they did was drool over the cars. ;)

Fecal McAngry

And no, Fecal, why do you need to Te it?
Deconstructing and tallying doesn't always give the right answer.
This technique is probably more Ti than Te, FWIW. But in any case, in theory, given a sufficiently large sample of verbiage you will arrive at the correct answer almost always--if you do it right.

Other factors can of course come into play--but not usually...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I prefer an intuitive and general observation approach.
(And no, Ti is more about conceptual thinking, NOT data accumulation and categorizing and tallying the quantities.)

He's not using Fi to connect, he's using Fe in the manner an ENTP does. It's all surface warm and connection, while underneath he's calculating and processing. By that I do not mean it's fake, but simply that his Fe is a tool to get him what he wants from you and play the situation. Read Berens.

I feel like people are missing the forest for the trees.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
The quotes posted earlier seemed ENFP, but watching and hearing him speak, he seems so clearly ENTP. Not only does he seem like an ENTP, he seems like an ENTP who has taken the test before and already knows he is an ENTP.

Fecal McAngry

I prefer an intuitive and general observation approach.
(And no, Ti is more about conceptual thinking, NOT data accumulation and categorizing and tallying the quantities.)

He's not using Fi to connect, he's using Fe in the manner an ENTP does. It's all surface warm and connection, while underneath he's calculating and processing. By that I do not mean it's fake, but simply that his Fe is a tool to get him what he wants from you and play the situation. Read Berens.

I feel like people are missing the forest for the trees.
Ti is not about conceptual thinking. NTPs use it that way, but STPs do not.

As to whether or not Downey uses Fi or Ti as his aux. function, why not actually attempt to document that by breaking down his interviews?

lane777

nevermore
Here, prove it to yourself:

Get a large sample of written interview text w/RD.

Underline all the Ne-isms--there will be a lot.

Then tally how many of those Ne-isms are supported by logical connections and how many are supported by value-based/subjective connections.

Two important points:

1) Make sure you use a large enough sample size.
2) Make sure you are correct in what you attribute to each judging function (hard part). In some cases, it will be impossible to differentiate.

As to whether or not Downey uses Fi or Ti as his aux. function, why not actually attempt to document that by breaking down his interviews?

Why don't you then?

Be sure to share your results :smile:

Lane777, I have the same instincts.

He's just too detached. Sure, he can pull off the charming Fe tertiary, but bottom line, he's going to do what he wants when he wants to do it. The ENFP guys I know would not say it so callously, even if they'd be pissed that they feel like they have to accommodate people they don't want to. Downey Jr's just indifferent to all those expectations.

Yes, exactly. An ENFP will consider people when making decisions or stating opinions. Downey... doesn't :rolleyes:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So I typed Downey as ENTP earlier in the thread, but I didn't bother to go into why. So here goes :D

When Downey is visiting the Actors Studio, and he is asked what other profession he would like to attempt, he immediately says, 'Inventor,' which he's said before. No I'm not bringing this up to be cheesy by pointing out the fact that ENTP's are given the title of Inventor. Rather, I cannot imagine any ENFP showing sincere interest in the profession if they really thought it through. As an inventor, your thought life will be dedicated towards things, while ENFP's are generally more concerned with people.

[youtube="LJqY2yByJ00"]Actor's Studio[/youtube]

Watch 2:20 - 3:43

In the same interview, as shown in the clip above, Downey says, "For me, the default position is... well Judd Nelson used to say, "Listen, smile, agree, and then do the fuck whatever you were gonna do anyway." And I still battle with a little bit of this good boy bad boy thing, but humilitiy doesn't have to mean giving up your position or giving up your intuition. It's just really tough cause the worst thing an actor can do is exhaust somebody for the sake of playing, and that's why I said I hate motives. You know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but there's no reason to waste a bunch of time squeaking and talking, and by the time you're on a set and it's freaking game day it's not the time to say, 'Well I just don't really understand why my character would even like, be having this relationship with her,' and I'd say, 'Ok cause there's no fucking Act 2, now get back to Act 1, moron.' Wait till I start directing, I might run into some of you and I just want to apologize ahead of time. 'Enough of your bullshit - action! Fuck your feelings!' There's places to go deal with your mom and dad issues, and by the time the directors your mom or dad... 'Now I don't even realize I'm therapizing in the wrong place,' now you're really blowing it. And sometimes they (directors) just stink, if the takes are getting worse and worse and worse and you're taking direction, then the director sucks.

...Of the ENFP's I know, I have never known them to be this harsh in bringing a point across, even in jest, as Downey did here.

Downey is far too fluent verbally, to be ENFP. ENFP's can talk, but shit... the speed with which Downey answers questions, choosing his words so well, no backtracking or humming and hawing and no need to pause to consider a response, screams ENTP.

Downey isn't mellow enough to be ENFP... his entire manner is too animated, too lively. And his speech is verbose and staccato by nature, quintessentially ENTP.

Also, I have the feeling that people may be confusing his charm, for ENFP warmth. He's simply friendly, and extremely charistmatic. But warmth, doesn't resonate with me.

I'm sorry about the lack of function talk. As you can see, I tend to focus on behavior when typing. And I haven't touched on all the reasons why I think he's ENTP. Honestly, I don't think I could put it all into words.

Anyways, it would be great if some of you could break down some of the reasons why he comes off as ENFP to you :) cause it's just not sitting right with me. Thoughts?

absolutely. cold vibe. T smarts....easy read. entp to me too.