User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type Is Robert Downey Jr.?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by CJ99 View Post
    What type do you reckon he is?
    HAWT!

ps: listen to fecal mcangry. he the first celebrity "typer" i've seen that knows wtf is up. i mean srsly, mel gibson an INFJ or ENTP? I can't see Jude Law as an ENFJ. fecal, what say ye?

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    See if I said that, people would complain I'm stating my opinions too factually.
    that could be because you've got ENTP as your type OR you're too abrasive. these folks like their reality given to them with a side of warm milk.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by lane777 View Post
    it would be great if some of you could break down some of the reasons why he comes off as ENFP to you cause it's just not sitting right with me. Thoughts?
    Here, prove it to yourself:

Get a large sample of written interview text w/RD.

Underline all the Ne-isms--there will be a lot.

Then tally how many of those Ne-isms are supported by logical connections and how many are supported by value-based/subjective connections.

Two important points:

1) Make sure you use a large enough sample size.
    2) Make sure you are correct in what you attribute to each judging function (hard part). In some cases, it will be impossible to differentiate.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Lane777, I have the same instincts.

He's just too detached. Sure, he can pull off the charming Fe tertiary, but bottom line, he's going to do what he wants when he wants to do it. The ENFP guys I know would not say it so callously, even if they'd be pissed that they feel like they have to accommodate people they don't want to. Downey Jr's just indifferent to all those expectations.

And no, Fecal, why do you need to Te it?
    Deconstructing and tallying doesn't always give the right answer.
    I've seen enough of these arguments to go around to see people just playing "quote wars" with each other and claiming the person with the most wins; not much different than arguing Bible theology by who can collect the most verses that seem to support one's view. Information is all contextual.

... ps... whatever he is, he's hot and in my top 5 celeb guys.
    I went to see Iron Man with some guy friends, and all they did was drool over the cars.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And no, Fecal, why do you need to Te it?
    Deconstructing and tallying doesn't always give the right answer.
    This technique is probably more Ti than Te, FWIW. But in any case, in theory, given a sufficiently large sample of verbiage you will arrive at the correct answer almost always--if you do it right.

Other factors can of course come into play--but not usually...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I prefer an intuitive and general observation approach.
    (And no, Ti is more about conceptual thinking, NOT data accumulation and categorizing and tallying the quantities.)

He's not using Fi to connect, he's using Fe in the manner an ENTP does. It's all surface warm and connection, while underneath he's calculating and processing. By that I do not mean it's fake, but simply that his Fe is a tool to get him what he wants from you and play the situation. Read Berens.

I feel like people are missing the forest for the trees.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

The quotes posted earlier seemed ENFP, but watching and hearing him speak, he seems so clearly ENTP. Not only does he seem like an ENTP, he seems like an ENTP who has taken the test before and already knows he is an ENTP.
    I have a vagina.

ENTP . 7w6 sx/sp

I prefer an intuitive and general observation approach.
    (And no, Ti is more about conceptual thinking, NOT data accumulation and categorizing and tallying the quantities.)

He's not using Fi to connect, he's using Fe in the manner an ENTP does. It's all surface warm and connection, while underneath he's calculating and processing. By that I do not mean it's fake, but simply that his Fe is a tool to get him what he wants from you and play the situation. Read Berens.

I feel like people are missing the forest for the trees.
    Ti is not about conceptual thinking. NTPs use it that way, but STPs do not.

As to whether or not Downey uses Fi or Ti as his aux. function, why not actually attempt to document that by breaking down his interviews?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    Here, prove it to yourself:

Get a large sample of written interview text w/RD.

Underline all the Ne-isms--there will be a lot.

Then tally how many of those Ne-isms are supported by logical connections and how many are supported by value-based/subjective connections.

Two important points:

1) Make sure you use a large enough sample size.
    2) Make sure you are correct in what you attribute to each judging function (hard part). In some cases, it will be impossible to differentiate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    As to whether or not Downey uses Fi or Ti as his aux. function, why not actually attempt to document that by breaking down his interviews?
    Why don't you then?

Be sure to share your results

Lane777, I have the same instincts.

He's just too detached. Sure, he can pull off the charming Fe tertiary, but bottom line, he's going to do what he wants when he wants to do it. The ENFP guys I know would not say it so callously, even if they'd be pissed that they feel like they have to accommodate people they don't want to. Downey Jr's just indifferent to all those expectations.
    Yes, exactly. An ENFP will consider people when making decisions or stating opinions. Downey... doesn't
    To die would be an awfully big adventure - Peter Pan

INFJ ~ 4w5 sp/sx ~ RLOAI ~ Inclusion e/w=1/0 (Melancholy Compulsive) Control: e/w=0/6 (Supine) Affection: e/w=4/0 (Phlegmatic Melancholy)

Why don't you then?

Be sure to share your results
    Be happy to--extremely busy ATM.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

So I typed Downey as ENTP earlier in the thread, but I didn't bother to go into why. So here goes

When Downey is visiting the Actors Studio, and he is asked what other profession he would like to attempt, he immediately says, 'Inventor,' which he's said before. No I'm not bringing this up to be cheesy by pointing out the fact that ENTP's are given the title of Inventor. Rather, I cannot imagine any ENFP showing sincere interest in the profession if they really thought it through. As an inventor, your thought life will be dedicated towards things, while ENFP's are generally more concerned with people.

[youtube="LJqY2yByJ00"]Actor's Studio[/youtube]

Watch 2:20 - 3:43

In the same interview, as shown in the clip above, Downey says, "For me, the default position is... well Judd Nelson used to say, "Listen, smile, agree, and then do the fuck whatever you were gonna do anyway." And I still battle with a little bit of this good boy bad boy thing, but humilitiy doesn't have to mean giving up your position or giving up your intuition. It's just really tough cause the worst thing an actor can do is exhaust somebody for the sake of playing, and that's why I said I hate motives. You know, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, but there's no reason to waste a bunch of time squeaking and talking, and by the time you're on a set and it's freaking game day it's not the time to say, 'Well I just don't really understand why my character would even like, be having this relationship with her,' and I'd say, 'Ok cause there's no fucking Act 2, now get back to Act 1, moron.' Wait till I start directing, I might run into some of you and I just want to apologize ahead of time. 'Enough of your bullshit - action! Fuck your feelings!' There's places to go deal with your mom and dad issues, and by the time the directors your mom or dad... 'Now I don't even realize I'm therapizing in the wrong place,' now you're really blowing it. And sometimes they (directors) just stink, if the takes are getting worse and worse and worse and you're taking direction, then the director sucks.

...Of the ENFP's I know, I have never known them to be this harsh in bringing a point across, even in jest, as Downey did here.

Downey is far too fluent verbally, to be ENFP. ENFP's can talk, but shit... the speed with which Downey answers questions, choosing his words so well, no backtracking or humming and hawing and no need to pause to consider a response, screams ENTP.

Downey isn't mellow enough to be ENFP... his entire manner is too animated, too lively. And his speech is verbose and staccato by nature, quintessentially ENTP.

Also, I have the feeling that people may be confusing his charm, for ENFP warmth. He's simply friendly, and extremely charistmatic. But warmth, doesn't resonate with me.

I'm sorry about the lack of function talk. As you can see, I tend to focus on behavior when typing. And I haven't touched on all the reasons why I think he's ENTP. Honestly, I don't think I could put it all into words.

Anyways, it would be great if some of you could break down some of the reasons why he comes off as ENFP to you cause it's just not sitting right with me. Thoughts?
    absolutely. cold vibe. T smarts....easy read. entp to me too.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com