• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Marilyn Monroe

What Personality Type was Marilyn Monroe?

• Total voters

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Have to agree here; I go with blatant ESFP.

"I am invariably late for appointments - sometimes as much as two hours. I've tried to change my ways but the things that make me late are too strong, and too pleasing." (Se)

Bullshit. An ENFP could say the same exact thing.

"A career is wonderful, but you can't curl up with it on a cold night." (Se)

This is also total bullshit. I could easily see many NF women expressing this sentiment.

Marilyn Monroe created a character, an image. Quel surprise that the image would closely resemble an SFP since she was a sex symbol. :rolleyes2:

I really have to tip my hat to Marilyn - she's thoroughly fooled young men about her real self even 50 years after her death.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

This is also total bullshit. I could easily see many NF women expressing this sentiment.

Marilyn Monroe created a character, an image. Quel surprise that the image would closely resemble an SFP since she was a sex symbol. :rolleyes2:

I really have to tip my hat to Marilyn - she's thoroughly fooled young men about her real self even 50 years after her death.

Just go look up a list of her quotes. xSFP is pretty clear. That's all I have to say about it.

Fecal McAngry

I suspect you type MM as an NFP because you empathize with the Fi you share.

I can relate. Their are times when I read interviews with...Roger Federer, for example, and become so struck by the internal similarities between our mutual Fi and basic intelligence that I "forget" that his Fi is housed and expressed in Se form while I am an Ne...

Here's Miller on his experience...as After The Fall describes, the attraction was very much what one would expect when an INTJ becomes entranced with an SFP:

YouTube - Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller...Part One

YouTube - Marilyn Monroe and Arthur Miller...Part Two

Psychdigg

Marilyn Monroe's somatotype was Endomorph: 4.0 Mesomorph: 4.0 Ectomorph: 4.0 which puts her in the center of the somatotype chart below. She most likely is an ENFP.

wpad5994d6_05.jpg

Last edited:

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Did you see this? Curious as to the general consensus of her type after these "revelations"...

Fragments of Marilyn

When Marilyn Monroe died, she left her personal possessions to her acting teacher, Lee Strasberg. After Strasberg’s death, the collection passed to his widow, Anna, who some years later discovered among the dresses, pictures, and other miscellany a cache of personal writings. This week, Farrar, Straus & Giroux publishes these in “Fragments: Poems, Intimate Notes, Letters.” The writings are intimate, unfiltered, and often unsettling:

On the stage—I will
not be punished for it
or be whipped
or be threatened
or not be loved
or sent to hell to burn with bad people
feeling that I am also bad.
or be afraid of my genitals being
or ashamed
exposed known and seen—

They come to us in facsimiles of the originals, in Monroe’s messy handwriting (with typed transcripts on the facing pages), complete with spelling and grammatical errors, giving them a vulnerability characteristic of Monroe on film:

For someone like me its wrong to go through thorough self analisis—I do it enough in thought generalities enough. Its not to much fun to know yourself to well or think you do—everyone needs a little conciet to carry them through & past the falls.

This is heartbreaking, not least for feeding the myth of the dumb, blond, “sweet angel of sex” (as Norman Mailer once put it). But Monroe also emerges in these pages as a surprisingly strong writer, capable of conveying very clearly and beautifully, in vivid images, her own pain. In a letter to a psychiatrist during a hospital stay in 1961, she writes, “Just now when I looked out the hospital window where the snow had covered everything is a kind of muted green. The grass, shabby evergreen bushes—though the trees give me a little hope—the desolate bare branches promising maybe there will be spring and maybe they promise hope. Did you see ‘The Misfits’ yet? In one sequence you can perhaps see how bare and strange a tree can be for me.” She also comes across as a lover of the written word. In this month’s Vanity Fair, Sam Kashner writes:

Several photographs taken of Marilyn earlier in her life—the ones she especially liked—show her reading. Eve Arnold photographed her for Esquire magazine in a playground in Amagansett reading James Joyce’s Ulysses. Alfred Eisenstaedt photographed her, for Life, at home, dressed in white slacks and a black top, curled up on her sofa, reading, in front of a shelf of books—her personal library, which would grow to 400 volumes. In another photograph, she’s on a pulled-out sofa bed reading the poetry of Heinrich Heine. If some photographers thought it was funny to pose the world’s most famously voluptuous “dumb blonde” with a book—James Joyce! Heinrich Heine!—it wasn’t a joke to her. In these newly discovered diary entries and poems, Marilyn reveals a young woman for whom writing and poetry were lifelines, the ways and means to discover who she was and to sort through her often tumultuous emotional life.

One of the more remarkable things “Fragments” does is give us Marilyn Monroe the way we’ve always wanted her: as someone, finally, have-able. This is both satisfying and, ultimately, disturbing. In one entry, Monroe recounts a dream in which she is being operated on by Strasberg and her analyst. When they cut her open, Monroe writes, “there is absolutely nothing there … devoid of every human living feeling thing.” This book feels a little like this sort of cutting open, only in addition to this fear of emptiness there are many other “living feeling things” inside. This is a far cry from “Boo-boo-be-doo”:

Scream—
You began and ended in air
but where was the middle?

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ESFP.

Marilyn Monroe's somatotype was Endomorph: 4.0 Mesomorph: 4.0 Ectomorph: 4.0 which puts her in the center of the somatotype chart below.
No one cares.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ISFP; soft-spoken yet passionate person.

6w7 Sx/Sp (Strength & Beauty/Warmth-Cordiality)

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
agree with isfp 6w7

reading about her life, i definitely don't think she was an extrovert

KDude

Yeah, I think ISFP.. Although I could it all reversed and see her as a kind of overwhelmed, loner ESFJ. Her F like sentiments and expressions are out for display either way.

Meaning

Permabanned
My first impression was ISFP. She always seemed so sad and unhappy. Always putting on a show for everyone, while hiding away in her pain. Her slightly aggressive rebellious streak seemed weak and inauthentic. I think she felt trapped in her life, but never summoned enough strength or know-how to get herself out of it until death. How sad.

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My first impression was ISFP. She always seemed so sad and unhappy. Always putting on a show for everyone, while hiding away in her pain. Her slightly aggressive rebellious streak seemed weak and inauthentic. I think she felt trapped in her life, but never summoned enough strength or know-how to get herself out of it until death. How sad.

naw, i defiinitely think she was an INFP. she was such a dreamer. if you watch interviews of her, there is a very similar quality to her as with princess diana. they radiate this really warm, shy Fi. they are so idealistic and sweet and radiate this kind of innocence. total INFP.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
xSFP quite for certain. She is no way an intuitor. Just no way.

Mole

Permabanned
At the risk of being accused of being off topic and banned, I think to understand the most famous icon of American womanhood, it is wise to start with the facts, namely that Marilyn was sexually abused as a child, and as a result Marilyn developed a borderline personality discorder. And it is worth remembering that Marilyn was abused by two icons of American power, namely, the President of the United States of America, John F. Kennedy, who handed Marilyn over to his brother, the Attorney General of the United States, Robert Kennedy, to abuse Marilyn further.

And as a result of her sexual abuse as a child, and her further sexual abuse by the most powerful men in the United States of America, Marilyn killed herself.

How do these facts influence the typing of Marilyn Monroe?

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
At the risk of being accused of being off topic and banned, I think to understand the most famous icon of American womanhood, it is wise to start with the facts, namely that Marilyn was sexually abused as a child, and as a result Marilyn developed a borderline personality discorder. And it is worth remembering that Marilyn was abused by two icons of American power, namely, the President of the United States of America, John F. Kennedy, who handed Marilyn over to his brother, the Attorney General of the United States, Robert Kennedy, to abuse Marilyn further.

And as a result of her sexual abuse as a child, and her further sexual abuse by the most powerful men in the United States of America, Marilyn killed herself.

How do these facts influence the typing of Marilyn Monroe?

Having sex with the Kennedys is not the same as being abused by them. I do think if she was abused as a child or suffered from borderline personality disorder, that could make it more difficult to type her.

Mole

Permabanned
Having sex with the Kennedys is not the same as being abused by them.

Imagine Marilyn was your sister, and the married President of the United States of America, while in office, had sex with Marilyn, then rejected her, but handed her over to his brother, the married Attorney General of the United States of America, who also rejected her, how would you feel?

Surely the President and his brother the Attorney General egregiously sexually abused their State power over a vulnerable woman with borderline personality disorder.

Should such institutional sexual abuse were to occur here, both the President and his brother, the Attorney General, would be required by law to appear before our Royal Commission into Institutional Sexual Abuse, where Marilyn could testify about her sexual abuse as a child and at the hands of the most powerful men in America, instead of killing herself.

And interestingly we would be able to ask what is the psychology of such powerful men who exploit State power to have sex with a woman sexually abused as a child and who has borderline personality disorder?

What is the psychology of these men?

lulabelle

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I could see INFP.

Initially, I debated over whether to apply INxP vs. INTP.

i've read all of the books about her. she was an INFP. read her poetry.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
And interestingly we would be able to ask what is the psychology of such powerful men who exploit State power to have sex with a woman sexually abused as a child and who has borderline personality disorder?

What is the psychology of these men?

Would you say the answer to your last question should be any different depending on whether these men were aware that Ms. Monroe had been abused as a child and had borderline personality disorder?

Your post implies that these men were aware of those things. Can you point us to any reliable sources for that, or are you just assuming it because it helps you huff yourself up in one of your self-righteous lathers?

According to the Wikipedia articles, she was reportedly in love with JFK and wanted to marry him, and RFK is reported to have visited her on the day of her death. Do you have any respectable grounds for characterizing their treatment of her as "abusive"? You say they "exploited State power" to have sex with her. Why couldn't somebody just as well say that she "exploited" her celebrity to have sex with them (among other famous men) — or that their relations (whatever they were) didn't really involve anything deserving of the term "exploitation" on either side?

Mole

Permabanned
Would you say the answer to your last question should be any different depending on whether these men were aware that Ms. Monroe had been abused as a child and had borderline personality disorder?

Your post implies that these men were aware of those things. Can you point us to any reliable sources for that, or are you just assuming it because it helps you huff yourself up in one of your self-righteous lathers?

According to the Wikipedia articles, she was reportedly in love with JFK and wanted to marry him, and RFK is reported to have visited her on the day of her death. Do you have any respectable grounds for characterizing their treatment of her as "abusive"? You say they "exploited State power" to have sex with her. Why couldn't somebody just as well say that she "exploited" her celebrity to have sex with them (among other famous men) — or that their relations (whatever they were) didn't really involve anything deserving of the term "exploitation" on either side?

Of course it does help to huff myself up into one of my self-righteous lathers.

But what is of interest is the relationship between the psyches of the powerful men and the psyches of women, sexually abused as children, who as a result, suffer from borderline personality disorder.

Many powerful men prefer women who have been 'broken in' to sex as children, and so can be preyed upon with impunity by powerful men.

Women who have been 'broken in' to sex as children lack the psychological resources to defend themselves psychologically, and this is what the predators prefer.

But what is of even greater interest is that popular culture idolises women who have been 'broken in' to sex as children, and finds their psychological vulnerability attractive.

But make no mistake, neither the predators nor popular culture care for these psychologically broken women as persons. These psychologically damaged women are no longer seen as persons, but as things.