User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type Is Fiona Apple?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 123 Last

Thread: Fiona Apple

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx
    Socionics
    Star Fe

I don't know who she is, so I can't vote by default - but maybe, women I've seen often turn out to get more attention, but it can be a long term deficit if you can't solve problems independently.

Okay, maybe I sound means, but it's just the truth. Being friendly is about more than having a good appearance, since you also should be fun for yourself, despite the "rules".

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I voted INFP. She is an example of a brilliant Fi-dom. These are the lyrics to "Never is a Promise"

You'll never see
    The courage I know
    Its colors' richness
    Won't appear within your view
    I'll never glow,
    The way that you glow
    Your presence dominates the judgments made on you

But as the scenery grows,
    I see in different lights
    The shades and shadows
    Undulate in my perception
    My feelings swell and stretch
    I see from greater heights
    I understand what I am still to proud to mention
    -to you

You'll say you understand
    But you don't understand
    You'll say you'd never give up
    Seeing eye to eye
    But never is a promise
    And you can't afford to lie

You'll never touch
    These things that I hold
    The skin of my emotions
    Lies beneath my own
    You'll never feel
    The heat of this soul
    My fever burns me deeper than I've ever shown
    To you

You'll say don't fear your dreams
    It's easier than it seems
    You'll say you'd never let me fall
    From hopes so high
    But never is a promise
    And you can't afford to lie

You'll never live the life that I live
    I'll never live the life
    That wakes me in the night
    You'll never hear the message I give
    You'll say it looks as though I might
    Give up this fight

But as the scenery grows,
    I see in different lights
    The shades and shadows
    Undulate in my perception
    My feelings swell and stretch
    I see from greater heights
    I realize what I am now too smart to mention
    To you

You'll say you understand,
    You'll never understand
    I'll say I'll never wake up
    Knowing how or why
    I don't know what to believe in
    You don't know who I am
    You'll say I need appeasing
    When I start to cry
    But never is a promise
    And I'll never need a lie
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)
    Likes OrangeAppled liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    7w6!!!!

I've spent all week thinking about her type, so it's a nice coincidence to stumble on this thread right now. It will be even better if I can articulate this neatly..

First of all.. She expresses her shame but she also makes fun of it at the same time. She never seems to wallow in it. Let's take this song, for instance, which I used to think was 4ish, before I typed correctly at 4 or understood the essence of the type.

People might say "Oh she's expressing shame and being a bad person" - but this is a 7's line to 1. Listen to the lyrics.. "I keep living this day like the next will never come" - this is a pure expression of 7w6. "I've done wrong and I wanna suffer for my sin" - 7 self-punishing, line to 1. This is a very 7ish, Take-what-you-want strategy. Not 4 at all. She makes a mockery of her shame. It's different for 4s. Here is what a 4 looks like:

"Poor me, I'm not good enough"

"Please rescue me, I need someone to understand me"

Those two videos are explicitly type 4 expressions. Now contrast this to Fiona Apple's mockery of her own shame and pain. The expressions on her face.. it's an expression of her own boredom.. haha.

She is whimsical and hilarious and pleasure-seeking.

And here she talks about how she never finishes songs and works better with deadlines. And her energy on stage is very "fun" ... she's very much an "entertainer" which 7s often are, rather than a "watch me suffer and feel with me" energy like 4s.

You know, as an INTJ, I hate to admit ever being anything other that 200% correct -- but you may have a valid point.
    (Realistically -- and this is *NOT* to 'save face' on my part): one must allow for the possibility that some of her behaviour is stagecraft : I know she is quite independent of labels, producers, and all that, compared to many other artists, but still, there is something to be said for the fact that each different medium in the aerts, imposes its own constraints...

Consider yourself *highly* commended.
    (Translated: I think I was *wrong.)

(brightens)...what do you think her tritype is?

...oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Last edited by grey_beard; 11-28-2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: fixed punctuation, duh
    "Love never needs time. But friendship always needs time. More and more and more time, up to long past midnight." -- The Crime of Captain Gahagan

Please comment on my johari / nohari pages.
    Likes Animal liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Quote Originally Posted by grey_beard View Post
    You know, as an INTJ, I hate to admit ever being anything other that 200% correct -- but you may have a valid point.
    (Realistically -- and this is *NOT* to 'save face' on my part: one must allow for the possibility that some of her behaviour is stagecraft : I know she is quite independent of labels, producers, and all that, compared to many other artists, but still, there is something to be said for the fact that each different medium in the aerts, imposes its )own constraints...

Consider yourself *highly* commended.
    (Translated: I think I was *wrong.)

(brightens)...what do you think her tritype is?

...oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!
    Thaanks Highly appreciated

I've since changed my mind about Jewel, but other than that I still agree with myself on this previous post. I think Jewel is more likely a 269 in some order. 4s would be Marilyn Manson, Jeff Martin, PJ Harvey, Kurt Cobain, maybe Jeff Buckley and Elliott Smith.

The thing is.. I pay close attention only to certain musicians. So I don't have a long list of 4s, but I know that Fiona Apple is not a 4. 7w6 makes the most sense for her though there's a vague 6w7 case. Jewel, I typed her based on limited material and after I looked deeper I was banging my head on the wall for a hasty decision. Jeff Martin, I'm still debating his type but nothing makes sense to me except 4. (I don't say that lightly - he is my #1 favorite.) I'm certain that Marilyn MAnson is a 4 however. I read his book, listened to him for years, etc.
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I used to think INFP 4w5 and attributed differences with me to tritype but after reading more interviews it made me realize she's like a Ne-explosion coupled with head-type energy.

I find this interview particularly illuminative: Hiding Out With Fiona Apple, Musical Hermit -- Vulture

So much Ne and 6/7 cusp (My tendency is to pick 6w7 over 7w6). No INFP makes a conscious effort to 'try' and feel what others are feeling. It's inherent.

I can't believe I used to type her and Elliott Smith the same (an INFP 4w5 sx/sp 469, @Animal). Maybe just because same tritype-
    Likes Animal liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Thaanks Highly appreciated

I've since changed my mind about Jewel, but other than that I still agree with myself on this previous post. I think Jewel is more likely a 269 in some order. 4s would be Marilyn Manson, Jeff Martin, PJ Harvey, Kurt Cobain, maybe Jeff Buckley and Elliott Smith.

The thing is.. I pay close attention only to certain musicians. So I don't have a long list of 4s, but I know that Fiona Apple is not a 4. 7w6 makes the most sense for her though there's a vague 6w7 case. Jewel, I typed her based on limited material and after I looked deeper I was banging my head on the wall for a hasty decision. Jeff Martin, I'm still debating his type but nothing makes sense to me except 4. (I don't say that lightly - he is my #1 favorite.) I'm certain that Marilyn MAnson is a 4 however. I read his book, listened to him for years, etc.
    Yes.Im surprised about Fiona Apple being a 7, but you might be right. However, Jewel, as much as I like her music, her whining makes me roll and eyes and i don't do that to type 4s nor INFPs, so seriously she must be something different. i mean, she doesn't *touch* me in a way those other artists you talked about - jeff buckley, kurt cobain - do. PS PJ Harvey also doesn't. I'm pretty sure she isn't a 4!? for some reason i always saw her as a 7...(this is all coming from intuition, it might be a load of bollocks, but my intuition works pretty ok 90% of the time)
    Likes brainheart, Animal liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LSI Se

Quote Originally Posted by pinkgraffiti View Post
    Yes.Im surprised about Fiona Apple being a 7, but you might be right. However, Jewel, as much as I like her music, her whining makes me roll and eyes and i don't do that to type 4s nor INFPs, so seriously she must be something different. i mean, she doesn't *touch* me in a way those other artists you talked about - jeff buckley, kurt cobain - do. PS PJ Harvey also doesn't. I'm pretty sure she isn't a 4!? for some reason i always saw her as a 7...(this is all coming from intuition, it might be a load of bollocks, but my intuition works pretty ok 90% of the time)
    She's not a 4. Sorry. I take it back. It was a stupid hasty typing. I have thought about it since. I'd say 269 tritype in some order.

*hides*
    Art is the blood of the Exile
    4w3 6w7 8w9 ~ Sx/Sp ~ ISTP ~ LSI-Se

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I think she's a 4 INFP still.

I don't see why 4s would not be open with shame - that's trademark 4 actually. The sx 4 is the angriest 4, the most scathing, almost counter-shame in wearing it so openly and wanting to attack people for "making" them feel that way. Her lyrics seem to embody this.

7s seem waaaaay less prone to open shame - they are called the Narcissistic type after all (Naranjo). They don't like to broadcast their negative qualities or they champion them if they do. They have a "this is not so bad" attitude where they refuse to be judged. The 4 is angry at being judged, but they truly do feel the shame and internalize it as identity.

Any nervous energy she has at times seems drug-related, honestly. She's not well emotionally or physically, and that throws off typing someone.

I do retract my previous idea that she is 4w5. She is too open for that typing, even though she is supposedly rather reclusive at times. 4w3 is very much a dramatic performer though. 4w3 Morrissey is soooo dramatic on stage, ripping his shirt off, clutching his heart....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe
    Likes Arctic Hysteria, chickpea liked this post

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Any nervous energy she has at times seems drug-related, honestly. She's not well emotionally or physically, and that throws off typing someone.

I do retract my previous idea that she is 4w5. She is too open for that typing, even though she is supposedly rather reclusive at times. 4w3 is very much a dramatic performer though. 4w3 Morrissey is soooo dramatic on stage, ripping his shirt off, clutching his heart....
    Good points. Aside from drug use, she has OCD and she seems very manic to me. If she's a 4 I'd also agree on the 4w3. 4w3s (if they are ENFP sx/so) throw me because they are a very different kind of 4. I add the ENFP because I know an INFJ 4w3 sx/so who still seems textbook four to me.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think she's a 4 INFP still.

I don't see why 4s would not be open with shame - that's trademark 4 actually. The sx 4 is the angriest 4, the most scathing, almost counter-shame in wearing it so openly and wanting to attack people for "making" them feel that way. Her lyrics seem to embody this.

7s seem waaaaay less prone to open shame - they are called the Narcissistic type after all (Naranjo). They don't like to broadcast their negative qualities or they champion them if they do. They have a "this is not so bad" attitude where they refuse to be judged. The 4 is angry at being judged, but they truly do feel the shame and internalize it as identity.

yes! 4w3! i see it!

also, stop enumerating the shortcomings of my type (7), it was too close to the bone, you made me blush. stick to your type, thanks
    Likes OrangeAppled liked this post