User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Maynard James Keenan (Tool/A Perfect Circle/Puscifer)?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 38

  1. #21
    Senior Member IndyGhost's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    2,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by louiesgonnadie View Post
    Sure, INTP makes sense based on this, but can't an INFP do this as well, especially a head-triad one? I myself am one, and I can do this pretty well. And one thing INFPs (or any Fi-dominant type) are really good at (so I've heard) are detaching from their emotions or suppressing their emotions explaining something or going into detail about something that overwhelms them emotionally. I don't know for sure, but I get the vibe that Maynard is like this, judging from his interviews.
    Agreed. I can be seen as cold at times. That inferior Te kicking in.

    For Maynard... I can't decide. I keep thinking INTJ or ISFP (e6), though INFP is possible. Definitely feel a more Fi/Te and Ni vibe, though not sure which is more prominent. He has these moments of playfulness, which make me think more ISFP. But other than that, I don't see a whole lot of Se.

    I've always been a fan of Tool, but never really looked into Maynard until now. Interesting background: military, art school, comedy, wine making, martial arts.
    "I don't know a perfect person.
    I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
    -John Green

  2. #22
    undergoing self-analysis louiesgonnadie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    206

    Default

    Then again, it seems like Ne is written all over "Rosetta Stoned".
    "For a minute there, I lost myself...I lost myself."

    LOUIS CK: "We don't think about how we talk"
    http://zenpencils.com/comic/95-louis...t-how-we-talk/

  3. #23
    Parody Parrot meowington's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    Bump.

    This dude is so hard to type. If you read the previous comments you'll see what I mean.
    My best guess : INxP.

    If you look at the cycles of the moon, it starts as a thin
    crescent and then gradually waxes and becomes full; then it
    gradually wanes back into another crescent and then is gone.
    The moon reflects sunlight like humans reflect information.

    We wax and wane and when we become full moons, our ego's are full. We think we have this knowledge when in fact, the information we have his pure. And it reflects or shines off of us, is something we take credit for as though the moon could take credit for the light it reflects from the sun. We have to understand that we are ego-less just as the moon is without light. It and we, are simply reflectors. The ego is not responsible for the information."
    Who the fuck comes up with this ? Brilliant.

  4. #24
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meowington View Post
    Bump.

    This dude is so hard to type. If you read the previous comments you'll see what I mean.
    My best guess : INxP.

    Who the fuck comes up with this ? Brilliant.
    Someone that's done a LOT of drugs, has been involved in the Occult, trains Jiu Jitsu with the Gracies, has been to West Point Academy, makes his own wine from his own freaking winery AND vineyard, and is generally a fucking freak of nature, in the most awesome possible way.

    And that's a pretty Zen/Buddhist thing to say. The band is definitely into buddhism, they even have a book recommendation on their site (even though it's mostly Occult books, including obscure Aleister Crowley ones). It's like a Satanic Buddhist blend, ha.

    But yeah, I don't know what type he is, definitely introverted. His insane amount of productivity could place him as an xxxJ but maybe West Point just taught him discipline. I'm also leaning towards xNxx. Definitely more of a visionary.

    He's also tricky because he's so damn private, although he's been hanging out on Joe Rogan's podcast a lot recently.

    Either way, Keenan is the fucking man, seen Tool live 3 times.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  5. #25
    ndovjtjcaqidthi
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meowington View Post
    Who the fuck comes up with this ? Brilliant.
    Someone who knows what's up. That's who.

  6. #26
    Parody Parrot meowington's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    Someone that's done a LOT of drugs, has been involved in the Occult, ...

    Either way, Keenan is the fucking man, seen Tool live 3 times.
    Yeah pretty much sums up my sentiments.

    A few things I might add :
    -I've seen them live twice in 2006 (indoors and festival). The best live band I've ever seen. A wall of sound !
    -Intellectual metal : metal with meaningful lyrics. That was totally new when they started. (plus playing progressive music and being popular is rare)
    -One of the only bands still alive & kicking (sort of, haven't seen a record in 8 years, which is long, even to their standards) from the early 90ties.
    -I doubt he has done THAT much drugs : he once stated that you should try a certain drug for the perception it creates, and then spend the next 10 years to get their naturally. But obviously the band has experience with hallucinogens. you just never know from them when it's tongue in cheek.
    -When I was struggling in 2000, the lateralus album came out and it blew my mind and helped me cope with stuff. He has very soothing, universal lyrics. My favorite album of all time.
    -Never really liked Puscifer though. But APC was amazing.
    -I find the other band members to be quite enigmatic as well. I suspect their bassist Justin to be an INFJ. He wrote the lyrics to the lateralus title song. "withering my intuition, missing opportunities" Sounds like stuff Jung could have written.

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyyukon View Post
    He's also tricky because he's so damn private, although he's been hanging out on Joe Rogan's podcast a lot recently.
    yeah I saw that partly on youtube.

  7. #27
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,432

    Default

    Listen to his interview with Marc Maron if you want a deeper look into him. (Still not that deep -- he's very reserved.)

    I'm pretty sure he's an INTP 5.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  8. #28
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meowington View Post
    Yeah pretty much sums up my sentiments.

    A few things I might add :
    -I've seen them live twice in 2006 (indoors and festival). The best live band I've ever seen. A wall of sound !
    -Intellectual metal : metal with meaningful lyrics. That was totally new when they started. (plus playing progressive music and being popular is rare)
    -One of the only bands still alive & kicking (sort of, haven't seen a record in 8 years, which is long, even to their standards) from the early 90ties.
    -I doubt he has done THAT much drugs : he once stated that you should try a certain drug for the perception it creates, and then spend the next 10 years to get their naturally. But obviously the band has experience with hallucinogens. you just never know from them when it's tongue in cheek.
    -When I was struggling in 2000, the lateralus album came out and it blew my mind and helped me cope with stuff. He has very soothing, universal lyrics. My favorite album of all time.
    -Never really liked Puscifer though. But APC was amazing.
    -I find the other band members to be quite enigmatic as well. I suspect their bassist Justin to be an INFJ. He wrote the lyrics to the lateralus title song. "withering my intuition, missing opportunities" Sounds like stuff Jung could have written.
    Yeah, I recall that quote about doing drugs, then getting there naturally 10 years later, but that doesn't mean they haven't done a shitload, I could write 5 paragraphs on why I think so but keenan (probably the whole band) just strikes me as someone that's done a shit load. Their sound is metal, but it's also been described as Pink Floydish (psychedelic), and I tend to agree. If you've ever done a lot of drugs (like me) you recognize art that could ONLY have been created by experimenting with psychedelics. So many examples, like the song Rosetta Stoned can pretty much be interpreted as a super intense trip.

    And I guess that's what I mean, they've done a lot of psychoactive drugs, and probably, with their occult interests, under ritualistic settings. I don't think they mess with much of anything else. In fact, I worked for an ex-army ranger that use to set up concert rigs for bands, and he said Tool was one of the few that DIDN'T do drugs (specifically mentioned coke) before a show. They'd play basketball or do martial arts.

    Not sure if lyrics indicate personality, especially with tool, as they don't write about personal things, just truths about humanity, IMO (although Maynard breaks this rule in 10,000 days about his mom). But yeah, they all have their minds and hands on everything, it seems.

    They're all freakishly talented. Adam Jones was a special effects guy and set designer for Jurassic Park AND Terminator 2. (Pretty sure he makes most of the videos too). Then he decides to be lead guitarist in a band that is a living legend (I personally think they're up there with Led Zeppelin). Like, c'mon! So cool all these guys got together somehow.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

  9. #29
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,432

    Default

    @johnnyyukon

    There's even more about his mom in his work with A Perfect Circle:



    Also I agree re: songs and MBTI. Although I think songs like "Ticks and Leeches" (Tool), "Vicarious" (Tool), "The Outsider" (A Perfect Circle), and many others, sound very clearly 5.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  10. #30
    Male johnnyyukon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    @johnnyyukon

    There's even more about his mom in his work with A Perfect Circle:



    Also I agree re: songs and MBTI. Although I think songs like "Ticks and Leeches" (Tool), "Vicarious" (Tool), "The Outsider" (A Perfect Circle), and many others, sound very clearly 5.
    Interesting, never made that connection. Do love some perfect circle too.

    I think they probably have a song for every type and enneagram, haha.

    Hush from Opiate, and Hooker with a Penis= EIGHT. Ha. His voice is so primal and guttural, makes my skin crawl, in a good way.


    "All you know about me is what I've sold you,
    Dumb fuck.
    Before you point the finger
    You should know that
    I'm the man,
    If I'm the fuckin' man
    Then you're the fuckin' man as well
    So you can
    Point that fuckin' finger up your ass!"

    Oh man, I still love that song.
    I've had this ice cream bar, since I was a child!

    Each thought's completely warped
    I'm like a walkin', talkin', ouija board.

Similar Threads

  1. Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor...
    By The Ü™ in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 12:20 PM
  2. James Lipton
    By GZA in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 10-26-2007, 04:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO