User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Louis CK?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 89101112 Last

Thread: Louis CK

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    INFPs tend to be very conscious of social appropriateness. Most people see my silly / observational side. I have to trust you to really let myself go dark. An old INTJ friend and I used to get into dark humor contests to see who could make the other flinch first.
    Okay, I can admit to doing that personally... but that's kind of a rare suspension of normal filters. I do tend to be very grim/fatalistic in an upbeat kind of way, though, which amusingly throws my coworkers.

Enneagram

Louis doesn't seem like an T, in that he does not resemble other T comedians--he doesn't treat stand-up like an intellectual game. Demetri Martin is very detached, and his routine is full of graphs and absurd drawings. Ricky Gervais is another extremely intellectual comedian, who would often use slideshows and animal facts for laughs. Their work just has a different feel.

On the rare occasion Louis does venture out on a historical/factual limb, I notice he doesn't seem very interested in getting things right. I'm sure he could if he wanted to, but it's just not where he puts his value. He seems to lack respect for the facts. This doesn't seem very T-ish to me at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling Louis stupid. He is absurd and clever and I love that. But what really makes Louis CK so interesting to me, isn't his intellectual curiousity, it's his moral curiosity. He confronts his assumptions, his unconscious impulses, and puts himself on trial for our comedic pleasure.

He does a great bit about giving soldiers his plane seat in first class.

Every time I see a soldier on a plane, I always think: ‘You know what? I should give him my seat [in first class]. It would be the right thing to do, it would be easy to do, and it would mean a lot to him…I should trade with him.’ I never have, let me make that clear. I’ve never done it once. I’ve had sooo many opportunities. I never even really seriously came close. And here’s the worst part: I still just enjoy the fantasy – for myself to enjoy. I was actually proud of myself…for having thought of it! I was proud! ‘Oh, I am such a sweet man. That is so nice of me! To think of doing that, and then totally never do it.’
    I know it's awful to transcribe comedy like that, but I can't find the clip. Louis is brutally self-aware. He captures the ugliest, most pathetic parts of our self, and helps us come to terms with those parts through laughter.

This strikes me as a Ne-Fi/Fi-Ne thing. If you pressed me I would argue he's an ENFP, because I don't think an INFP could laugh about disregarding his values so frequently. I'm not saying ENFP's are morally bankrupt, but I think they would be less loathe to admit their transgressions, especially in the name of performing.

Another reason I suspect he is an ENFP is from watching his evolution as a stand-up. Louis was always very silly, creative and emotional. If you look at his old stand-up bits, they're zany, but they have no teeth. As he got older and accumulated more experience, and (in my mind) became more aware of his auxilary Fi, his humour began to become more personal, darker, more viscerally real. He starts talking about values, family, the foibles of humanity, etc. He went deeper. That's the Louis CK we know and love today. People forget the goofy redhead from the 90s shouting about his peach.

INFP's on the other hand, get broader, and lighter over time. They learn to adapt more, and aren't so annoyingly stubborn when confronted with reality.

I also have always fancied the idea that neurotic/unbalanced N-doms tend to have really gross manifestations of their inferior S. If this were true than Louis' crude, gross-out humour, anxious overeating, impulse shopping, and his slovenly behaviour (I remember Marc Maron interviewing CK on a podcast and they talked about how disgusting Louis's apartment was) would fit.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

TV Show Louie. Keep in mind he wrote, directed, edited all of this.

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    I can't see the link right now. Anyway quite recently I watched a few of his videos and did find him funny. He has a frustrated with the rest but does not give a depressed vibe that I like. Comedians usually choose a character and create their joke around that character. So yes I like his character and his jokes. However I find russel peters much better and I was probably making a comparison when I made that comment. Then again I probably haven't seen his best material; being limited to you tube videos.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    Louis doesn't seem like an T, in that he does not resemble other T comedians--he doesn't treat stand-up like an intellectual game. Demetri Martin is very detached, and his routine is full of graphs and absurd drawings. Ricky Gervais is another extremely intellectual comedian, who would often use slideshows and animal facts for laughs. Their work just has a different feel.

On the rare occasion Louis does venture out on a historical/factual limb, I notice he doesn't seem very interested in getting things right. I'm sure he could if he wanted to, but it's just not where he puts his value. He seems to lack respect for the facts. This doesn't seem very T-ish to me at all.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling Louis stupid. He is absurd and clever and I love that. But what really makes Louis CK so interesting to me, isn't his intellectual curiousity, it's his moral curiosity. He confronts his assumptions, his unconscious impulses, and puts himself on trial for our comedic pleasure.

He does a great bit about giving soldiers his plane seat in first class.

I know it's awful to transcribe comedy like that, but I can't find the clip. Louis is brutally self-aware. He captures the ugliest, most pathetic parts of our self, and helps us come to terms with those parts through laughter.

This strikes me as a Ne-Fi/Fi-Ne thing. If you pressed me I would argue he's an ENFP, because I don't think an INFP could laugh about disregarding his values so frequently. I'm not saying ENFP's are morally bankrupt, but I think they would be less loathe to admit their transgressions, especially in the name of performing.

Another reason I suspect he is an ENFP is from watching his evolution as a stand-up. Louis was always very silly, creative and emotional. If you look at his old stand-up bits, they're zany, but they have no teeth. As he got older and accumulated more experience, and (in my mind) became more aware of his auxilary Fi, his humour began to become more personal, darker, more viscerally real. He starts talking about values, family, the foibles of humanity, etc. He went deeper. That's the Louis CK we know and love today. People forget the goofy redhead from the 90s shouting about his peach.

INFP's on the other hand, get broader, and lighter over time. They learn to adapt more.

I also have always fancied the idea that neurotic N-doms tend to have really gross manifestations of their inferior S. If this were true than Louis' crude, gross-out humour, anxious overeating, impulse shopping, and his slovenly behaviour (I remember Marc Maron interviewing CK on a podcast and they talked about how disgusting Louis's apartment was) would fit.
    yeah i've seen that one too! (your quote)
    and this clip haha love it

will think more on what you wrote and come back just wanted to share that.
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lady X View Post
    yeah i've seen that one too! (your quote)
    and this clip haha love it

will think more on what you wrote and come back just wanted to share that.
    Of Course But Maybe is definitely the highlight of his last special! Thanks for posting it

That Louie moment is my life. UGH, that episode crushed me.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Jung View Post
    That Louie moment is my life. UGH, that episode crushed me.
    Same here. Actually, I saw that clip first, and it's what led to me marathoning the first 3 seasons of the show.

Also, good thoughts on him being ENFP. I can definitely see that.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

omg i know! fj this crushed my whole world too!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by Perch420 View Post
    The best comedian alive right now, I'd say. In my opinion, he's either an INTP or an INFP.
    estj. possibly estp.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

think he would be a 6w5 enfp?

or 4w5 enfp?

if he's infp i don't think he's a 4 tho.
    -Jim Morrison