• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bruce Lee

What Personality Type Is Bruce Lee?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTJ

• ENTJ

• ENFP

• ISTJ

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ESTJ

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w4

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w9

• 9w1

• Total voters

Jaguar

Not technical details. He is an INFJ. Without question.

Then you never saw his book: Bruce Lee's Fighting Method. It's all physical details. Extremely specific/technical. He was a street fighter as a kid, not a visionary. He taught combat; self protection.

savaged

MBTI Type
INFJ
Then you never saw his book: Bruce Lee's Fighting Method. It's all physical details. Extremely specific/technical. He was a street fighter as a kid, not a visionary. He taught combat; self protection.

I can write some details too. He focuses more on philosophy and eclectic elements. On spiritual development. On teaching. Ni is deep in the present moment, and that is where Lee is. He could not be a bigger intuitive. An ISTP looks like Chuck Norris. They are not so interested in people and feely. They are much simpler, and nuts and bolts. Lee is about the transcendent and helping people. He is all Fe. And Ni.

NFJ are some of the most aggressive types. 2pac is an ENFJ.

He didn't have a vision that no style was the best, and one should not be bound by any? The UFC proved him right. Lee left no moves. He left a philosophy that prevails.

Jaguar

He focuses more on philosophy and eclectic elements.

The so-called philosophy was learned from some of his favorite mentors, and being raised in Hong Kong. Later on he moved to the U.S. But since several INFJs are desperate to be like Bruce Lee, call him INFJ. You'll feel better.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
but he's awesome and I'm awesome so he must be just like me to save my fragile sense of self

after all... there's no such thing as a sensor who can get all philosophical

dear god, these threads are dreadful... I occasionally drop in out of boredom and am quickly reminded of that fact :doh:

savaged

MBTI Type
INFJ
The so-called philosophy was learned from some of his favorite mentors, and being raised in Hong Kong. Later on he moved to the U.S. But since several INFJs are desperate to be like Bruce Lee, call him INFJ. You'll feel better.

Which philosopher didn't learn from previous philosophers and teachers? Where he moved to and from is irrelevant. You just totally dodged all my points, and made ad hominems. Show me an ISTP with as much emotional expression, with as much Fe, as Bruce Lee. Do it. I want to see one.

savaged

MBTI Type
INFJ

Steve Jobs is an ENFJ too btw. You think ISTP are like charismatic and know how to act around people or something? ISTP look nothing like Jobs or Lee.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
More Bruce Lee is fake hate :

When he speaks he seems so fake. It's as though he is forcing enlightenment to come across as philosophical.

I think he would have come across more philosophical if he said what he said in a matter of fact way, or say what I always say 'from what I have observed.' ;)

Jaguar

Which philosopher didn't learn from previous philosophers and teachers? Where he moved to and from is irrelevant. You just totally dodged all my points, and made ad hominems. Show me an ISTP with as much emotional expression, with as much Fe, as Bruce Lee. Do it. I want to see one.

Taking a college class on philosophy doesn't make Lee a "philosopher."
I never posted he was ISTP. Learn to read. I posted this:

Jaguar said:

Jaguar said:

Steve Jobs is an ENFJ too btw.

Who gives a shit what type Steve was? I don't. This is a Bruce Lee thread.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I may have posted in this thread already, but it's a long one. I've always seen Bruce as an ISFP. He vibes to me so much like other accomplished ISFPs who live their life through their way of looking at the world (Fi), like Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, or Bowie. The sense of identity is so strong that he's easy to list among rock stars.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Bruce Lee

You Must Be Registered To Vote

What type? I think isfp or istp. I am curious why you'd go either istp or isfp for him. I'm really interested in this one and I'll dedicate the rest of the year to it. This interests me.

Some quotes...

“I am learning to understand rather than immediately judge or to be judged. I cannot blindly follow the crowd and accept their approach. I will not allow myself to indulge in the usual manipulating game of role creation. Fortunately for me, my self-knowledge has transcended that and I have come to understand that life is best to be lived and not to be conceptualized. I am happy because I am growing daily and I am honestly not knowing where the limit lies. To be certain, every day there can be a revelation or a new discovery. I treasure the memory of the past misfortunes. It has added more to my bank of fortitude.”

“Showing off is the fool's idea of glory.”

“I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.”

“All fixed set patterns are incapable of adaptability or pliability. The truth is outside of all fixed patterns.”

“Love is like a friendship caught on fire. In the beginning a flame, very pretty, often hot and fierce, but still only light and flickering. As love grows older, our hearts mature and our love becomes as coals, deep-burning and unquenchable.”

“Simplicity is the key to brilliance”

You know what I want to think of myself? As a human being. Because, I mean I don't want to be like "As Confucius say," but under the sky, under the heavens there is but one family. It just so happens that people are different.
Bruce Lee: The Lost Interview (1971)

When you're talking about fighting, as it is, with no rules, well then, baby you'd better train every part of your body!

All types of knowledge, ultimately self knowledge.
Bruce Lee is the iconic ISTP, however I would argue that, contrary to popular belief, Bruce Lee is a 1w9, not a 9w8. He has principals like a 1, and not the lust of an 8.

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think he's an ISTP but that is only because I have typed my dad as ISTP and Bruce Lee is my dad's hero.

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He's my personal hero, too. Wish I could have trained under him. I don't know if that says anything about his type, though.

I think in Socionics he'd be an ESTP-Ti subtype. Definitely strong Ti, but he was outgoing from what I know of him. He does give off an ISTP vibe, but I'd say that's mainly due to his cultural background and some of the parts he played in movies.

I'll have to go with ESTP for Myers-Briggs, too. Maybe ISTP. I don't see INFJ at all, just high Ni from his studies in philosophy.

soremfinger

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bruce Lee is undoubtedly an ISTP. He is disciplined because Ti - introverted judging function, which may come of as J-ish. He has his own rules and stick to it. Creating something new and better out of the old and the obsolete is something Ti excel in. Bruce Lee's creation is Jeet Kune Do.

"Jeet Kune Do, abbreviated JKD, is an eclectic and hybrid martial art heavily influenced by the philosophy of martial artist Bruce Lee, who founded the system on July 9, 1967, referred to it as "non-classical", suggesting that JKD is a form of Chinese Kung Fu, yet without form. Unlike more traditional martial arts, Jeet Kune Do is not fixed or patterned, and is a philosophy with guiding thoughts. It was named for the Wing Chun concept of interception or attacking while one's opponent is about to attack. Jeet Kune Do practitioners believe in minimal movements with maximum effects and extreme speed. The system works by using different "tools" for different situations, where the situations are divided into ranges, which are kicking, punching, trapping, and grappling, where martial artists use techniques to flow smoothly between them."

Breaking down variety of martial arts to understand and to add and subtract to create a new improved form, something more efficient yet open ended, and that too something he can put into practice, is basically Ti - Se.
His work aside watching his series of interviews and reading his biography, the guy is easily an ISTP. Bruce Lee kept notebooks, tons of it, writing down to break down parts of parts of his craft to let himself better understand and keep tabs on his progress; also scribbling any discoveries he has had in his training.
Also, a lot MBTI experts who type Bruce Lee as ISTP are much more in number than those who type him off as something else.
Finally, Just because he dabbles in philosophy doesn't mean he's an N or an Fi type. We should recall that ISTP do NOT like to dabble in philosophy or theories ONLY because it can't be put into practice. There are philosophies and theories that are realizable, which refines your action. That's what he did and certainly ISTP do take great pleasure learning such "practical philosophies".
His Fe is expressed in wanting to help people. He wants to show that he care through his action. He also kept pets. ISTP love pets because it's something where the type can expressed his emotions uninhibited; it won't matter if it didn't come out right. Bruce Lee is an ISTP.

P.S. you can overanalyze an apple and say that it's a banana but in reality it's just an apple.

Mattman

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"Ni is deep in the present moment, and that is where Lee is."

No that's Se.

Ni is outside of time and tends to be more future oriented.

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
...A lot of the misconceptions about spirituality is how rooted precisely it is in an internal logical system. Spirituality can be theoretical and immensely logical from the ground up; it can be a way of understanding the world, not like Western (and maybe others) conceptions of faith, where one simply accepts what they are told. (Of course, it depends on the individual and on specifics...)

Put it simply, swordsman Miyamoto is ISTP, Dalai Lama is ISTP, and therefore I don't see any reason why Bruce Lee can't be ISTP, short of digging the man up from the grave and asking him about his thoughts.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We just watched the movie about his life, and he impresses me with a lot of Se and Ni. There is also an expression of Fi, but I don't know if it is cultural or the actual function. I'm also not certain about J or P because he also has some structured J qualities. I completely get why most people vote ISTP, and that could be correct, but I'm not 100% certain about it, although I don't have another type that I'm suggesting for him.

misfortuneteller

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just saw a video of him, the guy is a total 9w8 ISTP. He isn't a 8w7 because of his interests because enneagram is about your distorted reality.

tommyc

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

Cant see him for ISTP - mainly because he doesnt seem to be primarily displaying Se. Forget all the other functions - what do you guys see as his dominant Extroverted one?

I see Intuition (quick, sharp, playful, flexible). My instincts are hes an introvert, and a thinker not feeler. INTP.

INTP would fit him. He was a very independent thinker - he branched away from traditional martial arts and came up with his own school. Philosophical. Looked for meaning.