• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bruce Lee

What Personality Type Is Bruce Lee?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTJ

• ENTJ

• ENFP

• ISTJ

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ESTJ

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w4

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w9

• 9w1

• Total voters

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
The question is though, was his Ni or Se heavier? If Ni, INTJ. if Se, ISTP. Since INTP balances those 2 out, he could also be INTP.

I'm not feeling it. He seemed to have Se, Ti, and Ni. I saw zero Ne in him.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think though that Bruce Lee had more Ni than Se, so either he was an ISTP in a Ti-Ni loop, or he was an INTJ, except Ti seems more likely than Te.

The Great One

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think though that Bruce Lee had more Ni than Se, so either he was an ISTP in a Ti-Ni loop, or he was an INTJ, except Ti seems more likely than Te.

He was a ridiculously physically active athlete and one of the world's best martial artists for God's sake. The man had Se for crying out loud.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What type is Bruce Lee?

BRUCE LEE Motivational Tribute 2012 HD | INVINCIBLE WORLDWIDE

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Why does everyone think Bruce Lee is an ISTP? He is clearly an intuitive!

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There is no way Bruce Lee would commit to the archaic existence intuition provides.

Is this something an ISTP (or even any sensor) would say? This is a serious question, because I don't know:

Liberate yourself from concepts and see the truth with your own eyes. — It exists HERE and NOW; it requires only one thing to see it: openness, freedom — the freedom to be open and not tethered by any ideas, concepts, etc. ... When our mind is tranquil, there will be an occasional pause to its feverish activities, there will be a let-go, and it is only then in the interval between two thoughts that a flash of UNDERSTANDING — understanding, which is not thought — can take place. - Bruce Lee

source - http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Bruce_Lee

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He must be the same type as Yoda!

Yoda and Bruce Lee

W

WALMART

Is this something an ISTP (or even any sensor) would say? This is a serious question, because I don't know:

Liberate yourself from concepts and see the truth with your own eyes. — It exists HERE and NOW; it requires only one thing to see it: openness, freedom — the freedom to be open and not tethered by any ideas, concepts, etc. ... When our mind is tranquil, there will be an occasional pause to its feverish activities, there will be a let-go, and it is only then in the interval between two thoughts that a flash of UNDERSTANDING — understanding, which is not thought — can take place. - Bruce Lee

Very interesting. This quote inspires me to create a thread, I will do so tomorrow perhaps.

And lol at that video.

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4

Ironically, I was just now watching a Bruce Lee interview before coming to TypeC. My eyebrows went up when I came upon this thread.

I think about Bruce Lee a lot, several times a week actually. Every time I practice the same technique over and over and over. I remember him saying that he didn't fear the man who had practiced a thousand kicks but rather the man who had practiced just one kick a thousand times. Bruce Lee was a determined man. He was not easily discouraged or swayed from his path.

A lot of people have the misconception that intuitives cannot be physical. Kung fu is perfect for intuitives. First of all, to those who practice it seriously, it's not a sport, but a way of life. Mental, physical and spiritual adaptability are required to ever truly become a master. [I'm not speaking of belts here].

What he speaks of here, in this quote [MENTION=15371]Poimandres[/MENTION] has posted refers to the "wisdom mind" in martial morality [a code that serious martial artists are supposed to live by]. People are either ruled by their wisdom mind or their emotional mind. It is the wisdom mind that keeps up open. He once said to "be water." It is much like the old saying, "Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape." This refers to both mind and body. Bruce understood the concept, the metaphor. He understood many metaphors. The understanding which is not thought is the result of attaining a wisdom mind and it is for lack of a better word, intuition. It is not emotion. It is not thought. It is simply "knowing" and Bruce understood that there must be that simple "knowing."

Dare I say it? I think he was NiFe. And I say NiFe as opposed to NiTe because of the warmth he could so easily convey, because of the fire in his eyes and the beguiling smile. If not NiFe, then my next guess would be NiTe. Okay, tough guys, go ahead and stone me, but that's my vote. It is a misconception that intuitive people are all inept with Se. The more a person trains in martial arts, the more developed the Se comes. That just comes with the territory. If someone is trying to knock your head off with a pole, you better be able to think on your feet:) and you better be able to "be water."

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ironically, I was just now watching a Bruce Lee interview before coming to TypeC. My eyebrows went up when I came upon this thread.

Indeed, the law of attractions must be at work (and ironically too, this is a popular oriential conception, as I'm sure you're well aware).

I think about Bruce Lee a lot, several times a week actually. Every time I practice the same technique over and over and over. I remember him saying that he didn't fear the man who had practiced a thousand kicks but rather the man who had practiced just one kick a thousand times. Bruce Lee was a determined man. He was not easily discouraged or swayed from his path.

Yes, very disciplined, worked around all challenges, rose above them to new heights.

A lot of people have the misconception that intuitives cannot be physical. Kung fu is perfect for intuitives. First of all, to those who practice it seriously, it's not a sport, but a way of life. Mental, physical and spiritual adaptability are required to ever truly become a master. [I'm not speaking of belts here].

Oh ya, you must know all about this, with your martial arts expertise and such; the true qualities of the master must be derived from within rather than from rank.

What he speaks of here, in this quote @<a href="http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/member.php?u=15371" target="_blank">Poimandres</a> has posted refers to the "wisdom mind" in martial morality [a code that serious martial artists are supposed to live by]. People are either ruled by their wisdom mind or their emotional mind. It is the wisdom mind that keeps up open. He once said to "be water." It is much like the old saying, "Blessed are the flexible, for they shall never be bent out of shape." This refers to both mind and body. Bruce understood the concept, the metaphor. He understood many metaphors. The understanding which is not thought is the result of attaining a wisdom mind and it is for lack of a better word, intuition. It is not emotion. It is not thought. It is simply "knowing" and Bruce understood that there must be that simple "knowing."

Hm (this answer will require some thought), I guess this could relate to the Jewish mystical tradition of Kabbalah, where we have 3 focus points in the mind: Will, Wisdom, and Knowledge. The will is at the top, as it determines our actions, changes the course of events, the synthesis of the next 2 traits; wisdom is the water, a pool that has promise to become anything, a universal wellspring or source of all potential; knowledge is the light, dispels the darkness, shines through the water and shows us the substance we are shaping. I don't know how literally to take this, but I think it's a good figure for the liquid light of mind, and how it becomes a will that focuses the luminous water of creation into form. Above my Jedi avatar, I have the words "Metacognitive Hyper-Focus", a technical terminologythat roughly translates to mental points like these.

I think you might find this highly relevant quote I'm posting below from the Gnostic Bible to have value:
"For the Perfect One beholds itself in the light surrounding it. This is the spring of water of life that gives forth all the worlds of every kind. The Perfect One gazes upon its image, sees it in the spring of the spirit, and falls in love with the luminous water. This is the spring of pure, luminous water surrounding the Perfect One.
That's the basic idea, and a much more in depth article from where I got the passage can be found at this link: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread516139/pg1
And another related article - http://gnosis.org/naghamm/apocjn.html

Dare I say it? I think he was NiFe. And I say NiFe as opposed to NiTe because of the warmth he could so easily convey, because of the fire in his eyes and the beguiling smile. If not NiFe, then my next guess would be NiTe. Okay, tough guys, go ahead and stone me, but that's my vote. It is a misconception that intuitive people are all inept with Se. The more a person trains in martial arts, the more developed the Se comes. That just comes with the territory. If someone is trying to knock your head off with a pole, you better be able to think on your feet:) and you better be able to "be water."

I agree. Bruce seems very much like some Ni-dom. Lot's of people call him an ISP, and they make these funny 'tertiary Ni' arguments to back it up. Still, he gets uber-philosophical, even perhaps for many Ni-doms. Lee I think is a great archetype for the power of 'mental intensity'.
I don't know how much time or patience you have, but I found a funny video before made by a martial-artist-philosopher that compared Bruce Lee to people like Einstein and Jesus:

Ene

MBTI Type
iNfj
Enneagram
5w4
QUOTE]Indeed, the law of attractions must be at work (and ironically too, this is a popular oriential conception, as I'm sure you're well aware). [/QUOTE]

Yes:)

the true qualities of the master must be derived from within rather than from rank.
I believe this to be true.

Hm (this answer will require some thought), I guess this could relate to the Jewish mystical tradition of Kabbalah, where we have 3 focus points in the mind: Will, Wisdom, and Knowledge.
Very interesting. Now, I'm about to learn something [which is always exciting to me] because I know very little about the Kabblash.

[I'm listening to the video while I type and I love how the speaker says that teachings have been corrupted and that people have a difficult time seeing through the false. That's a wise perception.]

The will is at the top, as it determines our actions, changes the course of events, the synthesis of the next 2 traits
; [hmmmm....will is choice then]

wisdom is the water, a pool that has promise to become anything, a universal wellspring or source of all potential;

Or perhaps it could be a reflection or a place to wash away things or as you say a wellspring or source of all potential, of life.

knowledge is the light, dispels the darkness, shines through the water and shows us the substance we are shaping.

This reminds me of something Jesus said, "You shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."

I don't know how literally to take this, but I think it's a good figure for the liquid light of mind, and how it becomes a will that focuses the luminous water of creation into form. Above my Jedi avatar, I have the words "Metacognitive Hyper-Focus", a technical terminologythat roughly translates to mental points like these.
This is very interesting and very thought provoking.

I think you might find this highly relevant quote I'm posting below from the Gnostic Bible to have value:
"For the Perfect One beholds itself in the light surrounding it. This is the spring of water of life that gives forth all the worlds of every kind. The Perfect One gazes upon its image, sees it in the spring of the spirit, and falls in love with the luminous water. This is the spring of pure, luminous water surrounding the Perfect One.

Thank you for sharing this with me. It DOES resonate with me, and strongly so. You are speaking my language! haha.

This makes me think, 'Nosce te ipsum', which means "know yourself" in Latin. My sifu makes us often train blindfolded. There is a reason for this. It is so that we will find our internal center and maintain focus on that center regardless of the noise in the world around us. It is not easy. At first, it is very difficult. But this quote makes me think of it, in conjunction with the old children's gospel song that says, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine." We must know ourselves before the light can shine and we must be like water, flexible and transparent. For only when we are transparent can light show through us and because we are like water, life results.

If want to bring life, we must be water and we must let our inner light shine. In order to do this we must be aware that we have an inner light.

That's the basic idea, and a much more in depth article from where I got the passage can be found at this link: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread516139/pg1
And another related article - http://gnosis.org/naghamm/apocjn.html

Awesome. Thank you. I will definitely check these links out. ASAP.

I agree. Bruce seems very much like some Ni-dom.
Did you know he wrote poetry?

Here's a link to his daughter reading his work.

Lot's of people call him an ISP, and they make these funny 'tertiary Ni' arguments to back it up. Still, he gets uber-philosophical, even perhaps for many Ni-doms. Lee I think is a great archetype for the power of 'mental intensity'.

I agree with you on all of these points.

I don't know how much time or patience you have, but I found a funny video before made by a martial-artist-philosopher that compared Bruce Lee to people like Einstein and Jesus:
[/QUOTE] Thank you. I actually did listen and enjoyed it, and I found several points that I agreed with.

Azure Flame

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm alone when I say this, but I feel bruce lee is ESFJ. Here's why.

#1: Fe doms are very expressive, yet can also be very constrained in their presentation.
#2: Bruce Lee is very intense and high energy. Ever see an angry ESFJ?
#3: He is a huge advocate of depersonalization, a natural trait of extroversion.
#4: His talks about "no longer identifying with the self" can be linked with Ti inferior. Although Se could also be argued for this. As an Se dominant personality myself, I can identify with his explosive gusty movements and flowing with the environment, however I do not identify with the way he labels his fist as "this." De-realization is a process in which the person no longer feels the environment, he simply watches it as if watching a movie, but doesn't identify with it. As an Se dom who likes to snowboard, when I am in my state of flow and complete de-personalization, I feel every object, its weight, my fists are my own but I am not a person any longer, I become a telekinetic force, a poltergeist that moves objects around me at will, almost like avatar air bender. Bruce Lee on the other hand, seems to disconnect with the environment and focus only on shaping his "form" to flow with the environment, which is the complete opposite technique I use. It is impossible for me to view myself as water, because that means I still have a cohesive form. I do not. I become a cloud of electricity.

Se goes external. See the rock, become the rock. Se dominants are thunderous and gusty.
Si goes internal. Be like water and form yourself to your environment. Si dominants are graceful, tranquil and quiet.

Here's a vid referencing what I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
N

ndovjtjcaqidthi

*Swoops in*

Not sure, but I fucking love Bruce Lee.

*Flies off*

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Bruce Lee is the 3rd highest character athlete ever, before Michael Jordan, and behind Zinedine Zidane along with Kobe Bryant.

They are such hard-working and determined people, that they would almost all certainly be IxTJ.