• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bruce Lee

What Personality Type Is Bruce Lee?

• INFP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • INTJ

• ENTJ

• ENFP

• ISTJ

• ISFJ

• ESFP

• ESFJ

• ESTJ

• 1w2

• 2w1

• 2w3

• 3w2

• 4w3

• 4w5

• 5w4

• 5w6

• 6w5

• 6w7

• 7w6

• 7w8

• 8w9

• 9w1

• Total voters
R

Riva

that doesn't mean it's not fi curzon...i have superfast fighter instinct too....seriously...you do not want to jump out and scare me.

Yeah.
I have heard about your legendary driving skills (which are by the way related to your reflexes). ;)

Ps - wait a sec. I never said lack of Fi. I simply said Lee isn't an ISFP.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
huh? that makes no sense. i'm being for real.

wolfy

awsm
Well it is not that easy to explain. I could give examples & tell you that ISFPs wouldn't behave that way. But some know-it-all would jump in & say it's stereotyping. *Shrugs*

You should at least give it a go. I just want to know the isfp/istp split and if there is anything. Something you can look at and say "Look at that, that is Fi, Ti or whatever right there.

I'm not interested in stereotypes and behaviour, I'd like to know what drives that behaviour.

KDude

I've only been over-the-top a few times in a fight, but I'd end up pulling back midway. I've even kicked some dude on the ground, and then realized how that totally sucked.. and picked him up and apologized. He was kind of confused.

I kind of get what Curzon is saying.. We're not overkill types :D

R

Riva

huh? that makes no sense. i'm being for real.

'People are terrified to take rides from me.'
You said that quite a while back.

This point is about you saying -
that doesn't mean it's not fi curzon...i have superfast fighter instinct too....seriously...you do not want to jump out and scare me.

& I saying -
I have heard about your legendary driving skills (which are by the way related to your reflexes)

I was trying to say that motor skills such as driving, playing baseball (sports), fighting are all reflex controlled.

Did you watch the karate kid? He his taught the same move 1,000 times so that it gets recorded in his system. & when that action is needed one can do it without thinking about it. This is reflex.

Fighters, sportsmen & drivers rarely think when they are in the middle of a game. They have only a split second to think. & then the action should come without thinking.

I was just joking around about something you said a while back, by relating it to what you claim to have. :)
i have superfast fighter instinct too

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
@ kdude...sure i agree with that. you're right but i mean someone could give you a super fast beat down before they realized what they were doing...but then yeah...be really sorry about it....i see what you're saying.

KDude

That is true, I was getting at that earlier. Wonder why that is and if and how it fits in with Bruce Lee.

Well he never beat that guy to a pulp in the story. He had to chase him around.. apparently it was a clumsy fight. Bruce wanted to take him out quick, and the guy started running all over the place. That's what I was trying to point out about how this prompted Bruce to step up his strength levels. His friend recalls the story somewhere in the beginning of the Art of Expressing the Human Body (the fitness book).

R

Riva

I've only been over-the-top a few times in a fight, but I'd end up pulling back midway. I've even kicked some dude on the ground, and then realized how that totally sucked.. and picked him up and apologized. He was kind of confused.

I kind of get what Curzon is saying.. We're not overkill types :D

Now that's what I was looking for. The word, Overkill.
ISTPs are definitely overkillers ;).

That is true, I was getting at that earlier. Wonder why that is and if and how it fits in with Bruce Lee.

Like I said before. Giving examples would make me sound as if I am stereotyping.

Kdude's post is similar to what I am trying to say.

wolfy

awsm
Well he never beat that guy to a pulp in the story. He had to chase him around.. apparently it was a clumsy fight. Bruce wanted to take him out quick, and the guy started running all over the place. That's what I was trying to point out about how this prompted Bruce to step up his strength levels. His friend recalls the story somewhere in the beginning of the Art of Expressing the Human Body (the fitness book).

I got the book out. It is Linda Caldwell that recalls the story. It was motivated by racism, which violated one of Lee's values. And only says that he extracted a submission from him. And then goes on to talk about fitness.

KDude

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of another book.. :thinking: Could have sworn it went into more detail than that.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Yeah, like I said in the edit above. It was the in your face confidence that made me think istp.

Confidence in the face of which kinds of challenges? There's a difference between what arouses istps and entjs, I know it.

entjs seem to be much more willing to confront others, whereas istps are more impersonal.

Where's lee on this spectrum?

XYZ

MBTI Type
GOAT
Enneagram
DUNO
INFJ - surprised it hasn't been suggested yet?

Firstly, this guy is quite clearly not an adaptive personality (P), very much directive (J).

Secondly, he was a very much a dominant conceptual thinker - I thought Ni dom would be reasonably clear from most of his quotes.

wolfy

awsm
Confidence in the face of which kinds of challenges? There's a difference between what arouses istps and entjs, I know it.

entjs seem to be much more willing to confront others, whereas istps are more impersonal.

Where's lee on this spectrum?

Are you working from socionics?

INFJ - surprised it hasn't been suggested yet?

Firstly, this guy is quite clearly not an adaptive personality (P), very much directive (J).

Secondly, he was a very much a dominant conceptual thinker - I thought Ni dom would be reasonably clear from most of his quotes.

If you think infj then that makes me think isfp more. isfp often get typed as infj. I don't think the quotes are an indication of dom ni, isfp tend to be into that also.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
It seems that the early stuff with the gangs and fighting is pretty irrelevant. If you have someone that has that same experience and has studied type and has typed themselves as Fi then it becomes a moot point.

I think the quotes have some relevance as does the Taoist stuff. He studied philosophy in university and wrote about all the types of philosophy at one point or another. I think it has some relevance that he chose to express himself in that way. I do not think it was solely image.

What do you think of this that he wrote. It is on Pg 133 in The warrior Within.

I have said before 'Truth is nowhere to be found on a map' Your truth is different to mine. At first, you may think that this is a truth, but later you discover another truth and the former truth is denied - but you are closer to the truth.

I think the fact that he made a martial art that was solely for himself and that was designed specifically for him pushes me to Fi. An expression of self through the design of something.

I say isfp.

I missed this. Thinking.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I suppose simply because it's been an uncommon occurrence to come across others who have such proficient grasp of functions 4-8 that it's easy to assume the projection one desires to present. In this case, I can imagine where I'd be mistaken.

Vamp

MBTI Type
ENFP
The main issue with analyzing Lee's life, especially from Linda Lee's accounts, is that it's been so mythologized.

I'm curious: where's the N coming from?

KDude

I could see N in that he was very open minded and saw that all martial arts systems were useful. None of this Tiger Claw vs Monkey Fist shit. He was the first true mixed martial artist (far more mixed than what comes across as MMA these days too). He came from the Wing Chun style of Kung Fu, but he took what he could from Aikido, Karate, Muay Thai, Juijitsu, Sumo.. Anything.. One of his favorites was actually Muhammad Ali. Bruce went out of his way to get films and study him.. part of his footwork was Fencing and Ali, and had nothing to do with Kung Fu. Anyways, one could say this was all tertiary Ni still. ISFPs and ISTPs can still think outside the box and synthesize different approaches, just not as well or wide reaching as INJ, of course. I just don't think his intent was wide reaching in the Fe sense.. he was simply aiming for personal expression and fluidity in combat. Second, he told his students that they needed to do the same with personal expression. That his path in Jeet Kune Do was not their path, that they needed to take from him only what they needed. He called his path Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do). He'd teach groundwork, but you would make your own Jeet Kune Do, not his. And if necessary, even throw out everything he taught. "A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence." Maybe that's still something an INFJ could say, but it's something to consider.