User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type Is Bruce Lee?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of another book.. Could have sworn it went into more detail than that.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Yeah, like I said in the edit above. It was the in your face confidence that made me think istp.
    Confidence in the face of which kinds of challenges? There's a difference between what arouses istps and entjs, I know it.

entjs seem to be much more willing to confront others, whereas istps are more impersonal.

Where's lee on this spectrum?

Senior Member Array
    MBTI
    GOAT
    Enneagram
    DUNO
    Socionics
    FOFF

INFJ - surprised it hasn't been suggested yet?

Firstly, this guy is quite clearly not an adaptive personality (P), very much directive (J).

Secondly, he was a very much a dominant conceptual thinker - I thought Ni dom would be reasonably clear from most of his quotes.

Quote Originally Posted by candylandjoe View Post
    Confidence in the face of which kinds of challenges? There's a difference between what arouses istps and entjs, I know it.

entjs seem to be much more willing to confront others, whereas istps are more impersonal.

Where's lee on this spectrum?
    Are you working from socionics?

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
    INFJ - surprised it hasn't been suggested yet?

Firstly, this guy is quite clearly not an adaptive personality (P), very much directive (J).

Secondly, he was a very much a dominant conceptual thinker - I thought Ni dom would be reasonably clear from most of his quotes.
    If you think infj then that makes me think isfp more. isfp often get typed as infj. I don't think the quotes are an indication of dom ni, isfp tend to be into that also.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Are you working from socionics?
    Not in particular, no.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

It seems that the early stuff with the gangs and fighting is pretty irrelevant. If you have someone that has that same experience and has studied type and has typed themselves as Fi then it becomes a moot point.

I think the quotes have some relevance as does the Taoist stuff. He studied philosophy in university and wrote about all the types of philosophy at one point or another. I think it has some relevance that he chose to express himself in that way. I do not think it was solely image.

What do you think of this that he wrote. It is on Pg 133 in The warrior Within.

I have said before 'Truth is nowhere to be found on a map' Your truth is different to mine. At first, you may think that this is a truth, but later you discover another truth and the former truth is denied - but you are closer to the truth.

I think the fact that he made a martial art that was solely for himself and that was designed specifically for him pushes me to Fi. An expression of self through the design of something.

I say isfp.
    I missed this. Thinking.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I suppose simply because it's been an uncommon occurrence to come across others who have such proficient grasp of functions 4-8 that it's easy to assume the projection one desires to present. In this case, I can imagine where I'd be mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of another book.. Could have sworn it went into more detail than that.
    There was more detail than that. I just summarised it.

MBTI
    ENFP

The main issue with analyzing Lee's life, especially from Linda Lee's accounts, is that it's been so mythologized.

I'm curious: where's the N coming from?
    George Bernard Shaw in cartoon form.

I could see N in that he was very open minded and saw that all martial arts systems were useful. None of this Tiger Claw vs Monkey Fist shit. He was the first true mixed martial artist (far more mixed than what comes across as MMA these days too). He came from the Wing Chun style of Kung Fu, but he took what he could from Aikido, Karate, Muay Thai, Juijitsu, Sumo.. Anything.. One of his favorites was actually Muhammad Ali. Bruce went out of his way to get films and study him.. part of his footwork was Fencing and Ali, and had nothing to do with Kung Fu. Anyways, one could say this was all tertiary Ni still. ISFPs and ISTPs can still think outside the box and synthesize different approaches, just not as well or wide reaching as INJ, of course. I just don't think his intent was wide reaching in the Fe sense.. he was simply aiming for personal expression and fluidity in combat. Second, he told his students that they needed to do the same with personal expression. That his path in Jeet Kune Do was not their path, that they needed to take from him only what they needed. He called his path Jun Fan Jeet Kune Do (Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do). He'd teach groundwork, but you would make your own Jeet Kune Do, not his. And if necessary, even throw out everything he taught. "A good teacher protects his pupils from his own influence." Maybe that's still something an INFJ could say, but it's something to consider.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast