User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type Is Bruce Lee?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 123412 Last

Thread: Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Any examples? That's something I'd disagree with for sure. He was a taoist, and very peaceful. Very emotive and pleasant in his general demeanor as well.

Not to mention something else sim pointed out on my wall earlier.. Even I was surprised.

Otherwise, he could be very competitive, for sure, but so are most ISFPs (or SP's in general).
    That is an interesting quote. I need to read more.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I always figured he was an ISFP poster child.

MBTI
    INTJ

Any examples? That's something I'd disagree with for sure. He was a taoist, and very peaceful. Very emotive and pleasant in his general demeanor as well.
    Lol, he wasn't "very peaceful". He headed a gang when he was a teen, and he flipped his shit on more than one occasion. Still, he had some class and restraint, like when he fought an extra on the set of Enter the Dragon who questioned his abilities - Bruce Lee won, and then told him to get back to work (instead of throwing his ass out).

I think it is much more evident when you read about his life, instead of paying too much attention to his quotes, which tended to be poetic and "taoist" because he viewed himself as much of a philosopher as a fighter. But you have to remember that there is a difference between an "image" and an actual man.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

I have a couple of his books, but they are not biographies. Just philosophy or training from later in his life, so it will skew my perspective (the books are Tao of Jeet Kune Do and Art of Expressing the Human Body).

That all said, yeah, I slipped on equating Fi with peaceful. I haven't been quite that all of my life either. FWIW, I was hanging with gangs in my teens too (Latin Kings). For a laugh really...it was stupid teen period, not much more than that. I am Fi, although not sure if I'm an S or not. And either way, ISTPs aren't any more badass than I am. Ti badassery is overrated The thing is though, I can't see them talking like the above. I could be wrong. I'd mail any ISTP here 100 bucks if they admit they could.

MBTI
    INTJ

I knew that somebody would mistakingly equate "hard ass" with "bad ass", that's why I specifically pointed out the difference between fighting abilities and personality, yet you jumped out to protect your "bad ass" honor anyway.

Like I said, don't read his prepared quotes. Read about his life.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

Yeah, we needed to get that one out of the way anyways. For the record though, I'm not saying either type is a hardass. I am saying that Ti shouldn't be equated with fighting abilities. Or things of a similar nature, say.. like athletic stuff or something. There's more extroverted perception skills going on with those things, if anything. And I'm not trying to defend any sort of honor.. I'm just trying to be realistic. I could hold back and not offer up any personal anecdotes, but it doesn't help dispel any possible assumptions about what F's might get themselves into. Anyways, I could say more, but I'll cut it short.

Your suggestion is good one though. I probably should read a biography (for a variety of reasons).

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Arclight View Post
    I immediately thought ISTJ.

Here was a man who despite having a bit of a rebellious streak in him, was obviously very disciplined and ordered.
    Nah, I think Bruce is as far as one could get away from being a J, especially a SJ. Being orderly and disciplined isn't enough to be one; your entire attitude has to be configured like a J.
    "The Moment is freedom. — I couldn't live by a rigid schedule. I try to live freely from moment to moment, letting things happen and adjusting to them."

"You cannot force the Now. — But can you neither condemn nor justify and yet be extraordinarily alive as you walk on? You can never invite the wind, but you must leave the window open. "

"This means that one should do nothing that is not natural or spontaneous; the important thing is not to strain in any way. "
    But I can see why some would think that. ISTPs (Analyzer Operators) have a chart-the-course interaction style, while ESTPs (Promoter Executors) have an in-charge one. Which technically makes STPs the only P types to share an interaction style that is dominated by J's.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    What type? I think isfp or istp. I am curious why you'd go either istp or isfp for him.
    ISTP. To be honest, I can't see the Fi-dom (or aux) in him as one could for Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, and so forth. He's not nearly as self-identity oriented as many FPs are, however, he displayed some Fe in his earlier years such as desiring a firm association with a group, like gangs.

In his parochial school, Bruce often bullied other children. Interestingly enough, Bruce turned to kung fu because he felt insecure without his gang.

Bruce Lee: The Early Years
    Later on, he always talks about how there is no "I", only "us" and the moment.

"The word "I" does not exist. When the opponent expands I contract and when he contracts, I expand. And when there is an opportunity, "I" do not hit, "It" hits all by itself."

"To know oneself is to study oneself in action with another person."

"Real living is living for others."
    Ultimately, I think Bruce is a lot more passionate about finding the freedom of thought, builds his confidence on Ti(Se) and troubleshooting. He's very task-oriented, and doesn't have much of a moral reaction ("good" or "bad") to anything, except by his usual reasoning of "it works" or "doesn't work". The F he has overall seems to resonate closely with Se-Fe than Se-Fi.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

Otherwise, he could be very competitive, for sure, but so are most ISFPs (or SP's in general).
    I think that isfp can be very competitive. I think that generally isfp like to mediate conflict.

In any situation, I love the give and take, the playfulness and energy, the excitement and a little bit of competition, a little bit of one-upsmanship. But when it becomes abrasive and people personally attack others, I’m offended.
    What an isfp will do when offended is anybody's guess. The point is that they typically won't go out of their way to create conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Lol, he wasn't "very peaceful". He headed a gang when he was a teen, and he flipped his shit on more than one occasion. Still, he had some class and restraint, like when he fought an extra on the set of Enter the Dragon who questioned his abilities - Bruce Lee won, and then told him to get back to work (instead of throwing his ass out).

I think it is much more evident when you read about his life, instead of paying too much attention to his quotes, which tended to be poetic and "taoist" because he viewed himself as much of a philosopher as a fighter. But you have to remember that there is a difference between an "image" and an actual man.
    You do see Fi in the quotes but the quotes are derived from Tao writings for the most part. I do like his quotes and I don't think it was just image but still, they were not his own words.

My vocabulary on ass variations is lacking so I looked up

hard ass
    badass

So the hard ass is the more serious variant.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    But I can see why some would think that. ISTPs (Analyzer Operators) have a chart-the-course interaction style, while ESTPs (Promoter Executors) have an in-charge one. Which technically makes STPs the only P types to share an interaction style that is dominated by J's.

ISTP. To be honest, I can't see the Fi-dom (or aux) in him as one could for Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt, and so forth. He's not nearly as self-identity oriented as many FPs are, however, he displayed some Fe in his earlier years such as desiring a firm association with a group, like gangs.

Ultimately, I think Bruce is a lot more passionate about finding the freedom of thought, builds his confidence on Ti(Se) and troubleshooting. He's very task-oriented, and doesn't have much of a moral reaction ("good" or "bad") to anything, except by his usual reasoning of "it works" or "doesn't work". The F he has overall seems to resonate closely with Se-Fe than Se-Fi.
    Good points, well presented. This is what really interests me about him. The split between istp and isfp and how to understand which is which.

At the moment I am leaning istp. But I have a few books of Bruce Lee's letters and writings as well as his life. I'll see if I can find something that shows his thinking process.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I think that isfp can be very competitive. I think that generally isfp like to mediate conflict.
    Probably..mostly. You're a 9 though. I think we've discussed this, but I think the 4 INFP/ISFPs don't have the same appreciation for mediating.

That all said, I've read that Bruce Lee might have been 9w8 himself..? Which still doesn't illuminate much on whether he's ISTP or ISFP.

Probably..mostly. You're a 9 though. I think we've discussed this, but I think the 4 INFP/ISFPs don't have the same appreciation for mediating.

That all said, I've read that Bruce Lee might have been 9w8 himself..? Which still doesn't illuminate much on whether he's ISTP or ISFP.
    True. I've never seen him as 9w8.

Another point on conflict and isfp is that I don't mind it within my domain. The areas that I am strong I don't mind fighting and arguing. It is more the bitchy stuff that I tend to want to move away from. i don't know if that is a typical isfp trait but was thinking that might have some bearing on Bruce Lee's type.

I need to think about it some more. Hopefully I'll find something on one of these books.