• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Eminem?

What Personality Type is Eminem?

• Total voters

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Eminem is one of the major emotional impacts in the Hip-hop industry. He is driven by his emotions. This is what makes his songs stand out to the rest.

Nobody is arguing that great art is driven by passionate emotions. But passionate emotions don't necessitate that someone is a Feeling type in MBTI terminology.

So your argument is that because his songs are really good, he must be an F? That's pretty silly.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Apparently any artist whose work resonates with SS's feelings is automatically an Fi user. Great.
Yes.

And there are only a handful that resonate with me.

I know they know what I know and that makes me feel less alone.

Sue me.

That's art, feeling connected.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Nobody is arguing that great art is driven by passionate emotions. But passionate emotions don't necessitate that someone is a Feeling type in MBTI terminology.

So your argument is that because his songs are really good, he must be an F? That's pretty silly.
No my argument is that his song are really F therefore they stand out. I never said anything about 'good'.

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
Eminem is one of the major emotional impacts in the Hip-hop industry. He is driven by his emotions. This is what makes his songs stand out to the rest.

Yeah, really.

I like that high-pitched voice cracking sound he does sometimes.

On The Eminem Show

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No my argument is that his song are really F therefore they stand out. I never said anything about 'good'.

It's implied that they're especially good if they stand out and helped to define a genre.

But why the assumption that only F types can write powerful emotional songs that stand out? That doesn't make any sense.

Yes.

And there are only a handful that resonate with me.

I know they know what I know and that makes me feel less alone.

Sue me.

That's art, feeling connected.

I feel connected to lots of different artists and their work but I don't assume them all to be of any particular functional orientation. It just makes you happy to assume that they must be similar to you. Weak argument.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Just because you are a T musician, sim, doesn't mean that music, in general, is not really an F dominated field, which surely it is.

Who's projecting, now?

Miserable

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w6
It's implied that they're especially good if they stand out and helped to define a genre.

But why the assumption that only F types can write powerful emotional songs that stand out? That doesn't make any sense.

Well, I can't say they can do it, when I could never do it....

Jaguar

Wait, Eminem is an ISTP!??!?!?!

Look, if you had one shot or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted in one moment
Would you capture it or just let it slip?

Verse 1

Yo, his palms are sweaty, knees weak, arms are heavy
There is vomit on his sweater already
Moms forgettin' he's nervous
But on the surface he looks calm and ready
To drops bombs, but he keeps on forgetting
What he wrote down, the whole crowd goes so loud
He opens his mouth but the words won't come out
He's choking, how? Everybody's jokin' now
The clock's run out, time's up, over BLOW!
Snap back to reality, oh there goes gravity
Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked, he's so mad
But he won't give up that easy, no he won't have it
He knows his whole back's to these ropes
It don't matter, he's dope, he knows that
But he's broke, he's so sad that he knows
When he goes back to this mobile home
That's when it's back to the lab again, yo
This whole rhapsody, better go capture this moment
And hope it don't collapse on him

You better lose yourself in the music
The moment you own it you better never let it go, oh
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
Cuz opportunity comes once in a lifetime, yo
You better lose yourself in the music
The moment you own it you better never let it go, oh
You only get one shot, do not miss your chance to blow
Cuz opportunity comes once in a lifetime, yo
You better

Verse 2

Soul's escapin' through this hole's that is gaping
This world is mines for the taking
Make me king as we move toward a new world order
A normal life is boring
But superstardom's close to post mortem
It only grows harder, homie grows hotter
He blows us all over, these hoes is all on him
Coast to coast shows, he's known as the Globetrotter
Lonely roads got him
He knows he's grown farther from home, he's no father
He goes home and barely knows his own daughter
But hold ya nose cuz here goes the cold water
These hoes don't want him no mo', he's cold prada
They moved on to the next shmo who flows
Who nose dove and sold nada
And so the so proper
His toll, it unfolds and I suppose it's old, partner
But the beat goes on
Duh duh doe, duh doe, dah dah dah dah

Verse 3

No more games, I'ma change for due called rage
Tear this muthafuckin' roof off like two dogs caged
I was playin' in the beginnin', the mood all changed
I've been chewed up and spit out and booed off stage
But I kept rhymin' and stepped writin' the next cipher
Best believe somebody's payin' the pied piper
All the pain inside amplified by the
Fact that I can't get by with my nine to five
And I can't provide the right type of life for my family
Cuz, man, these goddamn food stamps don't buy diapers
And there's no movie, there's no Mekhi Pfifer
This is my life and these times are so hard
And it's gettin' even harder tryin' to feed and water
My seed plus teeter-totter
Caught up between bein' a father and a pre-madonna
Baby momma drama, screamin' on her
Too much for me to wanna stay in one spot
Another damn or not has gotten me to the point
I'm like a snail, I've got to formulate a plot
Or end up in jail or shot
Success is my only muthafuckin' option, failure's not
Momma love you but this trailer's got to go
I cannot grow old in Salem's Lot
So here I go, it's my shot
Feet fail me not
Cuz maybe the only opportunity that I got

Duh doo
You can do anything you set your mind to, man

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's possible Fi could be Tertiary, which tends to "inflate" itself, yet remain immature. That's what I would think for a "gangsta" rapper. Not someone who prefers "harmony", though may find some relief in emotion and artistry.
On the other hand, whatever people are analysing could be a stage persona, so for people like him, it is hard to tell what he really is.

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Fuck it.

Music is pretty universal.

But poetry?

Poetry is pretty F.

So lyricists are often Fs, methinks.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

I am on the assumption that it is highly likely that F types would more often write powerful emotional songs that stand out. And thus Eminem would more likely fit into a type with the F preference. I see him writing songs about his daughter, ex-wife, mother and personal life. It is more unlikely he'd be doing this just for business purposes. If he just wanted money he could just write songs about the same old topics the average rapper writes about. My first impression of him was ISTP but looking deeper into it I think ISFP suits him more.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Great post. Ross is an ENFP. Agree with everything you've said except one thing--Eminem strikes me as very bright.

Bright yes, lyrically talented...but Dr. Dre or someone else typically composes
the melody. George Carlin didn't get past the 9th grade either, but I'd venture that Carlin was a "broader" bulb. In that Carlin is one of the few comedians who always wrote their own material, from the early days on. ;)

Fecal McAngry

I am on the assumption that it is highly likely that F types would more often write powerful emotional songs that stand out. And thus Eminem would more likely fit into a type with the F preference.
This not how you should approach the subject. Black Americans commit murder at about 8-9 times the rate of white Americans, and maybe 30 times the rate of Asian Americans. Therefore, if you know someone is a murderer, you know that that person is black (and male).

It's important to focus on what is actually there, right in front of your nose...

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just because you are a T musician, sim, doesn't mean that music, in general, is not really an F dominated field, which surely it is.

Who's projecting, now?

Whether or not a majority of musicians are Fs (which I agree is probably true) is irrelevant. You're still making an obvious error by assuming that anyone whose music affects you emotionally must automatically also be an Fi user. That much is obvious on its own.

I am on the assumption that it is highly likely that F types would more often write powerful emotional songs that stand out. And thus Eminem would more likely fit into a type with the F preference. I see him writing songs about his daughter, ex-wife, mother and personal life. It is more unlikely he'd be doing this just for business purposes. If he just wanted money he could just write songs about the same old topics the average rapper writes about. My first impression of him was ISTP but looking deeper into it I think ISFP suits him more.

HINT: Thinking types have feelings too. You've just implied that the only reason Thinkers would want to express emotion musically is for business purposes, which is silly. For instance, listen to Weezer's Pinkerton, a deeply emotional album. Rivers Cuomo is a clear INTJ; he uses music as an outlet to express the Fi that he has trouble talking about in everyday life:

"How stupid is it? I can't talk about it / I gotta sing about it / And make a record of my heart"

I'll grant you that ISFP is a distinct possibility for Eminem, though.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This not how you should approach the subject. Black Americans commit murder at about 8-9 times the rate of white Americans, and maybe 30 times the rate of Asian Americans. Therefore, if you know someone is a murderer, you know that that person is black (and male).

It's important to focus on what is actually there, right in front of your nose...
I see what is front of my nose. And I see that Eminem is not a logical thinker and makes his choices by his emotions rather than by what's logical.

Jaguar

But why the assumption that only F types can write powerful emotional songs that stand out?

That which is repressed grows in power and intensity. The most likely place to see this is in lyrical form. It's an outlet.

I can easily see a T writing more powerfully emotional songs.
In the "safety" of ones own company, the emotions can spill out all over the page.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That which is repressed grows in power and intensity. The most likely place to see this is in lyrical form. It's an outlet.

In the "safety" of ones own company, the emotions can spill out all over the page.

Right. Thinkers may show the world a more logical side most of the time, but this continued repression of their emotions can easily lead to powerful emotional content in the form of art. It's an outlet for a side of themselves that they don't normally express.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QYfsUbI8u4&feature=related"]Interview[/YOUTUBE]

Here in this second posted interview. T or F seems pretty clear.

Eminem says "I think", the NF interviewer says "feel". Eminem pauses a second before speaking and says "feel" then returns to think mode for the residual.

The NF interviewer makes yet another intuitive leap mentioning David Gaghan of Depeche Mode, Eminem looks like "wtf?" Then gives his response.

Thus my second example of spotting "N" during conversation with regard to the interviewer. Notice Eminem doesn't make any such leaps in giving his responses, they're brief, concise and dead on.

BlueinGreen

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I think Trent Reznor is a good example of that.

...and I have no idea what type Marshall Mathers is, but a pissed off T sure seems like a possibility.