User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Eminem?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 22303132333442 Last

Results 311 to 320 of 497

Thread: Eminem?

  1. #311
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    ^ Oh, Eminem has emotions?

    Whelp, that settles it! He must be Fi dom!

    Look, people, music is kind of an inherently emotional medium. You can't write about vector calculus and deductive logic problems and make a good song. It's really, really dumb to claim that all music about feelings must have been written by an F type.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  2. #312
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ Oh, Eminem has emotions?

    Whelp, that settles it! He must be Fi dom!
    *sigh* Look, the man's favorite subjects are his family, his past, his feelings about stardom, his feelings about his fans, his feelings about being targeted by the media, his hatred of 'phonies', his regrets, his need to prove himself, his abandonment issues, his protectiveness of his daughter, his resentment... and his lyrics suggest, to me anyway, that he's introspective and that he analyzes not only his own, but other people's emotions. See his interpretation of an obsessed fan's mind in "Stan", or even his awareness of how lost and confused his daughters are about his turbulent life in, well, every third song he's ever done. This is someone who spends a lot of time thinking about the people around him and how they affect him and he affects them.

    Also, there is no need to be sarcastic or dismissive. I have never treated anyone this way on this forum or any other forum and I expect the same courtesy.

  3. #313
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mipp View Post
    *sigh* Look, the man's favorite subjects are his family, his past, his feelings about stardom, his feelings about his fans, his feelings about being targeted by the media, his hatred of 'phonies', his regrets, his need to prove himself, his abandonment issues, his protectiveness of his daughter, his resentment... and his lyrics suggest, to me anyway, that he's introspective and that he analyzes not only his own, but other people's emotions. See his interpretation of an obsessed fan's mind in "Stan", or even his awareness of how lost and confused his daughters are about his turbulent life in, well, every third song he's ever done. This is someone who spends a lot of time thinking about the people around him and how they affect him and he affects them.

    Also, there is no need to be sarcastic or dismissive. I have never treated anyone this way on this forum or any other forum and I expect the same courtesy.
    So what would convince you that he's a T then? If he wrote an equal number of songs about molecular biology?

    Honestly, your argument that "Most of his lyrics express his emotions" somehow indicates that he's an F is silly because all serious art expresses emotion! Nobody, not even strong Thinking types, spends significant time writing songs about non-emotional topics, because music and emotion are inherently tied together. The entire point of music is to elicit an emotional response in listeners; ergo, writing songs about emotional topics does not an F type make.

    Most T songwriters use music as an outlet for the emotions that they normally have a hard time expressing in their everyday lives. Choosing to listen to logic over emotions most of the time can turn music/art into quite a useful outlet for getting out the emotions that you don't normally give much voice to.

    This was written by an INTJ:

    How stupid is it? I can't talk about it
    I gotta sing about it, and make a record of my heart
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  4. #314
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    So what would convince you that he's a T then? If he wrote an equal number of songs about molecular biology?

    Honestly, your argument that "Most of his lyrics express his emotions" somehow indicates that he's an F is silly because all serious art expresses emotion! Nobody, not even strong Thinking types, spends significant time writing songs about non-emotional topics, because music and emotion are inherently tied together. The entire point of music is to elicit an emotional response in listeners; ergo, writing songs about emotional topics does not an F type make.

    Most T songwriters use music as an outlet for the emotions that they normally have a hard time expressing in their everyday lives. Choosing to listen to logic over emotions most of the time can turn music/art into quite a useful outlet for getting out the emotions that you don't normally give much voice to.

    This was written by an INTJ:

    How stupid is it? I can't talk about it
    I gotta sing about it, and make a record of my heart
    Naturally music is tied to emotion -- but the fact that his songs are so personal, to an uncomfortable degree sometimes, and the subject matter is presented in such a raw way, suggests to me that he is a Fi type. Eminem has little detachment from the emotional content of his music. He writes songs about how he felt like a bum because he couldn't buy his kid Christmas presents, or about how his hates his dad for walking out on him, or he mocks Christina Aguilera for saying he was "cute" in an interview. He does do some of the standard rap artist bragging and posturing, but even then it's tempered by self-doubt and an open acknowledgment that he's trailer trash from the wrong side of the tracks. I really can't think of many artists who are as intense and personal as Eminem is, especially when he's in his more somber moods. Every real artist puts some of themselves into their art, but it's like he's living it all over again in every stanza and every chorus, to the point where it can be unsettling.

    You are entitled to your interpretation, as I am entitled to mine. I am very interested in the opinions expressed in this thread, and certainly Eminem seems to be a very complex person to inspire this much debate and discussion.

  5. #315
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mipp View Post
    Naturally music is tied to emotion -- but the fact that his songs are so personal, to an uncomfortable degree sometimes, and the subject matter is presented in such a raw way, suggests to me that he is a Fi type. Eminem has little detachment from the emotional content of his music. He writes songs about how he felt like a bum because he couldn't buy his kid Christmas presents, or about how his hates his dad for walking out on him, or he mocks Christina Aguilera for saying he was "cute" in an interview. He does do some of the standard rap artist bragging and posturing, but even then it's tempered by self-doubt and an open acknowledgment that he's trailer trash from the wrong side of the tracks. I really can't think of many artists who are as intense and personal as Eminem is, especially when he's in his more somber moods. Every real artist puts some of themselves into their art, but it's like he's living it all over again in every stanza and every chorus, to the point where it can be unsettling.

    You are entitled to your interpretation, as I am entitled to mine. I am very interested in the opinions expressed in this thread, and certainly Eminem seems to be a very complex person to inspire this much debate and discussion.
    He also suffers from depression and drug addiction. You've just restated the same argument here with no new material, so I have no meaningful response.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  6. #316
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    I get your point Sim about lyrics and art, but wouldn't a T behave in a more rational manner outside of his art?

  7. #317
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I get your point Sim about lyrics and art, but wouldn't a T behave in a more rational manner outside of his art?
    We (the proponents of ISTP) have already dissected based on interviews why we believe Ti seems more evident than Fi. What evidence do you have that he behaves "irrationally" in his everyday life?

    Besides that, though, who knows? How can we have any idea what the pressures of international fame, depression and drug addiction will do to someone? How can we have any idea how Eminem or any other person that we've never met behaves toward his friends and family in everyday life off camera?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  8. #318
    Senior Member evilrobot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI
    Posts
    182

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ Oh, Eminem has emotions?

    Whelp, that settles it! He must be Fi dom!

    Look, people, music is kind of an inherently emotional medium. You can't write about vector calculus and deductive logic problems and make a good song. It's really, really dumb to claim that all music about feelings must have been written by an F type.
    True, but you’ll never get certain F types to see this.
    X___________________________________

    If things are not what they seem, and we are forever reminded that this is the case—then it must also be observed that enough of us ignore this truth to keep the world from collapsing. –Thomas Ligotti, The Mystics of Muelenberg

  9. #319
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by evilrobot View Post
    True, but you’ll never get certain F types to see this.
    Especially FPs who feel an emotional attachment to that particular artist's music. "OMG I LOVE HIS SONGS, I JUST KNOW WE ARE SOULMATES!!"
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  10. #320
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    We (the proponents of ISTP) have already dissected based on interviews why we believe Ti seems more evident than Fi. What evidence do you have that he behaves "irrationally" in his everyday life?

    Besides that, though, who knows? How can we have any idea what the pressures of international fame, depression and drug addiction will do to someone? How can we have any idea how Eminem or any other person that we've never met behaves toward his friends and family in everyday life off camera?
    "June the 3rd,2000: the day Eminem got into trouble with Douglas Dail from ICP and John Guerra, the man who kissed his ex wife Kim.
    The events that happened this day caused Eminem's arrest and weapon and assault charges.
    Prosecutors have charged Eminem with 2 felonies:

    -carrying a concealed weapon without a license

    -assault with a deadly weapon

    Those circumstances could have lead him to 5 years jail sentencing.

    In the summer of 2001, his legal troubles continued, as he was given probation on weapons charges that stemmed from an argument with an employee of Psychopathic Records, giving him a fine around $2,000 as well as several hours of community service.
    9 months ago "

Similar Threads

  1. Eminem vs. Jay-Z
    By swordpath in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 07-10-2011, 02:03 AM
  2. Eminem - A modern day Hamlet?
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 08-28-2010, 08:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO