User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is Chris Rock?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 1234 Last

Thread: Chris Rock

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    I can see that. There's something about the artificial way he goes over the top. And there's a strange self-consciousness just under the surface that doesn't seem like ENTP-style awkwardness. I don't know ... maybe he is an ENTP, but something about his vibe seems off. I can't explain it.
    Yeah, there's a certain level of self-consciousness and awareness introverts have that gives them away. It's in the eyes, and how they carry themselves.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    NTP sounds right. But I'm not totally sold that he's an E. On stage while performing comedy, people look extroverted. In interviews he seems more reserved.
    Really? I don't think so:

[YOUTUBE="G2i_ZxLU9bU"]Chris Rock Interview on Ellen 10/28/08[/YOUTUBE]
    [click: embedding disabled]

[YOUTUBE="i0TlEUpU1N4"]Chris Rock Interview with David Letterman after Bill Clinton[/YOUTUBE]
    Very outgoing, open body language. And he's like that all the time... he's an extravert; an introvert wouldn't be able to sustain that amount of outgoing energy for that long. I think it's only recently, since his new movie, he's tried to play the "contemplative" role, and he looks like he is holding himself back, not like he is naturally reserved. Even so, on this forum we always hear about ENTPs being one of the more introverted extraverts, so there's always that to consider.

I agree with the first few posters: ENTP. If he isn't ENTP, he's doing a tremendous job at pretending to be one.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    Really? I don't think so:

Very outgoing, open body language. And he's like that very often... he's an extravert; an introvert wouldn't be able to sustain that amount of outgoing energy for that long. I think it's only recently, since his new movie, he's tried to play the "contemplative" role, and he looks like he is holding himself back, not like he is naturally reserved.

I agree with the first few posters: ENTP. If he isn't ENTP, he's doing a tremendous job at pretending to be one.
    You have to look at his one-on-one interviews, not talk show interviews. He's basically doing his stand-up routine in those videos.

But here..

[YOUTUBE="gQRUdLNdS_M"]iVillage Live: Chris Rock interview[/YOUTUBE]

He's a completely different person.

There's lots of famous introverts in very public positions that are able to sustain it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

You have to look at his one-on-one interviews, not talk show interviews. He's basically doing his stand-up routine in those videos.

But here..
    He still seems like an extravert, just speaking at a lower tone of voice. He's discussing a serious topic, so I think he's trying to present a certain image to fit that. But notice that he becomes more and more outgoing, starts making more and more jokes, as the interview goes along... he is going back to his regular self.

You just think everyone is INTP.

MBTI
    INTP

But notice that he becomes more and more outgoing, starts making more and more jokes, as the interview goes along... he is going back to his regular self.
    ... or is he going back into comedian mode?

You just think everyone is INTP.
    You just don't know how he is when we hang out!! Same with Obama.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

... or is he going back into comedian mode?
    He's gaining energy from the environment and interaction, which is basically the definition of extravert. I think he is naturally more outgoing and open; that is his autopilot. So when he tries to put on a more reserved act, to be taken seriously, he can't keep that act up for very long. He can make jokes all day, nonstop. Which fits with ENTP much more than INTP. If you know INTPs and ENTPs irl, and even on this forum, you'll see that. On the forum, there will be what starts out as a serious thread, but after maybe the third page, the ENTPs will come in and derail it with jokes and randomness. That's Ne dom. Versus the INTPs who will make mostly serious, analytical posts, and drop in a joke here and there.

You just don't know how he is when we hang out!! Same with Obama.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

I think I've seen Obama typed as everything under the sun, except for a few S types.

MBTI
    INTP

He's gaining energy from the environment and interaction, which is basically the definition of extravert. I think he is naturally more outgoing and open; that is his autopilot. So when he tries to put on a more reserved act, to be taken seriously, he can't keep that act up for very long. He can make jokes all day, nonstop. Which fits with ENTP much more than INTP. If you know INTPs and ENTPs irl, and even on this forum, you'll see that. On the forum, there will be what starts out as a serious thread, but after maybe the third page, the ENTPs will come in and derail it with jokes and randomness. That's Ne dom. Versus the INTPs who will make mostly serious, analytical posts, and drop in a joke here and there.
    He could be an E, though that could have been an introvert warming up to the interviewer. Without private life anecdotes or something it's hard for me to tell. Comics are always pressured to keep up their on stage persona when around people off stage.

:yim_rolling_on_the_

I think I've seen Obama typed as everything under the sun, except for a few S types.
    He's the ultimate social chameleon INTP.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

He could be an E, though that could have been an introvert warming up to the interviewer. Without private life anecdotes or something it's hard for me to tell. Comics are always pressured to keep up their on stage persona when around people off stage.
    I don't see him putting on a persona in the interview you posted, he is just being friendly and engaging, he's not being extremely comedic or over the top.

But regarding that, you have to question, at what point does the persona become the real person? If you are spending 85 percent of your waking hours in an active rather than reactive mode of being (and have done so for the past how many years) yet claim to be introverted, I'd suggest rethinking that.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't see him putting on a persona in the interview you posted, he is just being friendly and engaging, he's not being extremely comedic or over the top.

But regarding that, you have to question, at what point does the persona become the real person? If you are spending 85 percent of your waking hours in an active rather than reactive mode of being (and have done so for the past how many years) yet claim to be introverted, I'd suggest rethinking that.
    He could be spending 85% of his waking time being totally reflective, he's not in public that much. Although I don't think E/I is totally fixed. A puny and introverted Chris Rock as a kid, who relied on being funny to gain social status, could have changed preferences.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

He could be spending 85% of his waking time being totally reflective, he's not in public that much. Although I don't think E/I is totally fixed. A puny and introverted Chris Rock as a kid, who relied on being funny to gain social status, could have changed preferences.
    Just using that percentage as an example... and I think regarding I/E, that's where you and I will have to agree to disagree. I am of the opinion that introversion and extraversion are most definitely fixed. Behavior may vary, but actual I/E does not change, being that it has a biological basis.