• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Johnny Depp

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Some of us have already discussed his type in this thread, but I would like more closure than that thread provided, and I just found out that the wonderfully intimate Inside the Actor's Studio interview is up again on YouTube.

What type do you believe him to be and why?

(Thanks to the aforementioned thread, I now lean toward INFP.)

Cindyrella

MBTI Type
INFP
He's got to be one of the few INFPs in Hollywood. I suspect the respect he's earned is partly due to his introvertedness.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm glad you reposted this, because I have an opinion on this, but I believe that the other thread had gotten somewhat long and unwieldy.

Ladypinkington and myself have both done our share of acting (and I've done directing too). We both believe that Johnny Depp is an INFP. If you look at Depp's characters you will see that he has an amazing ability to create fictional characters out of seemingly nothing. Even when he gives his inspiration for a particular role (such as Keith Richards for Jack Sparrow), he elaborates on the role much further, and if you look closely he seems to be incorporating personality elements from a few other people. But the elaborate imagination is what strikes me as firmly INFP. I get the impression that in his mind his characters have a fleshed out back story and he's also thought of how the character would interact in a variety of situations. INFP's are the dreamers and creators of fantasy worlds, and that is what you see from Johnny Depp's acting.

With an INFJ actor what you expect to see is someone who can actually get inside the head of another person and become that person. Sometimes when I see ladypinkington act it's almost like she's channeling the dead spirit of some person. It's like she can become another person and live out the life that person lived. I think INFJ actors have an advantage when acting biographical parts, but INFP actors have an advantage when creating a character from scratch. (This is why you find so many ENFP actors, because Ne, Fi is a strong combination for creating a new character and that is what most roles require.) If you are looking at a performance you'll see an INFJ is a bit more crisper on some of the physical details like gesture and voice inflection, but the INFP will have the psychology of the character fleshed out more deeply.

So when I look at Johnny Depp's characters the part that seems the most remarkable about them is that the psychology of the character is elaborately fleshed out, and that is why I think he is an INFP. :)

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
I have yet to hear from an INFP who doesn't believe JD to be INFP, so that's good. :)

The_Liquid_Laser, thanks for posting your experience of INFP/INFJ acting styles. I'd like to know whether you and ladypinkington are also basing your typing of him as INFP on any interviews you may have seen? (I'm a stickler for typing actors on the basis of interviews as a complement to analyzing their performances.)

Any male INFJs out there want to give their take on JD's type?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd say INFJ.

And I'd say today's movie industry, in general, is ENTJ, believe it or not.

I know a lot of N snobs will say ESTP, but just because a storyline isn't innovative (let's face it, stories almost never are), doesn't mean there isn't innovation found elsewhere.

More often than not, movies innovate in finding new ways of showing things and by using and making technological innovations.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You do not need to know why. I just have good instincts! ;)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I have yet to hear from an INFP who doesn't believe JD to be INFP, so that's good. :)

The_Liquid_Laser, thanks for posting your experience of INFP/INFJ acting styles. I'd like to know whether you and ladypinkington are also basing your typing of him as INFP on any interviews you may have seen? (I'm a stickler for typing actors on the basis of interviews as a complement to analyzing their performances.)

Any male INFJs out there want to give their take on JD's type?

I looked at the first 30 minutes of interview, and he carries himself like an INFP. He's calm and subdued like most introverts appear, and like most other INFP's if he finds something annoying or offensive he tends to keep it to himself being more perceiving outwardly than judging. With INFJ's and INTJ's on the other hand I have noticed a pattern that they often appear to be extraverts at first, because they are full of energy. But when Ni is the primary function that energy comes from within rather than the outside world. JD doesn't carry himself with the energy that I expect from an INTJ or INFJ.

Splittet

Wannabe genius
MBTI Type
INTJ
INFP seem like a very good guess. To be honest, I can't see him as J. Flunking out of high school at the age of 15 certainly seem way more P than J. Acting and music is also dominated by Ps, which makes it even less probable. Also it seems like his acting career got of just by chance, following the flow.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
...and he has good relations with his presumably S mom and girlfried

Cindyrella

MBTI Type
INFP
Edit: I let Cindyrella off on that one, didn't I? I guess I'm more convinced of INFP than I let on. :blushing:

I'm sorry, Economica...I believe he is an INFP after watching only about 3-4 minutes of the interview you posted a link to. Here's why:

First, he can't possibly be an E, there's just no way. Not only does he carry himself as an I, but do you ever hear about him throwing himself in front of the paparazzi a la Paris Hilton? Being THAT famous and still managing to fly that far under the radar on your personal time? Must be an I. Another big thing that I think identifies him as an INFP is his description of the progression he made from high school dropout to musician to actor. Nothing was planned, he kinda just fell into whatever he was doing at the time.

I don't know much about him, and being somewhat familiar with pop culture and celebrity, that is just one more reason I think he must be an I. Also, when he was asked why family is most important to him, he expressed a lot of deep-rooted feelings on the subject. This was all coming from his value system, which as I'm sure we can all see, many celebrities lose sight of very quickly. An INFP clings too tightly to his or her values to let much of anything, even celebrity, interfere.

Is that better, Economica? :D

Cindyrella

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh, and I find that I consider I type celebrities to be more grounded and real. Nicole Kidman and Evangeline Lilly (from Lost) are two actresses I particularly like, who are undoubtedly introverts. In fact, I think Evangeline might be an INTx from what I've read of her.

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
Is that better, Economica? :D

Yes, thank you! :happy: Thanks also to you, TLL and Splittet.

...and he has good relations with his presumably S mom and girlfried

Blackwater, you and I agree both on the INFP typing and that the four N types who have T or F as their dominant function tend to get along better with Sensors than the four Ns who have N as their dominant function, but just to play the devil's advocate ;) how certain are we that his mom and his girlfriend are S?

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
i said presumably :steam: ;)

but he does speak of his mother in an overcompensating manner in the actors studio interview, hinting that all is not well with the cosmos

Economica

Dhampyr
MBTI Type
INTJ
i said presumably :steam: ;)

Was that a trap you set for me? :tongue10: ;)

Seriously though, you entered the presumption as evidence of INFP, right? I had to ask because I'm actively trying not to base my typings on hunches, as we both know I am prone to. :(

but he does speak of his mother in an overcompensating manner in the actors studio interview, hinting that all is not well with the cosmos

I didn't pick up that vibe. What does he say that you find indicative of overcompensation?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh, and I find that I consider I type celebrities to be more grounded and real. Nicole Kidman and Evangeline Lilly (from Lost) are two actresses I particularly like, who are undoubtedly introverts. In fact, I think Evangeline might be an INTx from what I've read of her.

Small derail -- I would think Nicole to be an INFx; Evangeline is definitely I, but I know little else about her except that Lost is her first "real" acting role and that she had a strong Christian upbringing.

Actress Naomi Watts is a good friend of Nicole (they might even be roommates right now, still.. they WERE at some point after things with Tom broke off)... and she's very similar to Nicole in her demeanor and acting approach. Another INFx.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Small derail -- I would think Nicole to be an INFx; Evangeline is definitely I, but I know little else about her except that Lost is her first "real" acting role and that she had a strong Christian upbringing.

Actress Naomi Watts is a good friend of Nicole (they might even be roommates right now, still.. they WERE at some point after things with Tom broke off)... and she's very similar to Nicole in her demeanor and acting approach. Another INFx.

I was going to say the same thing, actually, but resisted against it because I had too much else on my mind.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Was that a trap you set for me? :tongue10: ;)

trap? oh no, I am far too interested in cheese to care about traps :)

i only posted this as an addendum, the case is already pretty strong. but now that you've become all serious about my one-liner, go here:

YouTube - Johnny Depp Inside the Actor's Studio (1 of 5)

and fast forward to 5:07 for indirect linies on the mom presumably being S (waitress all her life) and depp's overcompensating praise of her