User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is John Lennon - INFP or ENFP??

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 34567 Last

Thread: John Lennon

MBTI
    ESTJ

ENTP

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

INTP
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

Quote Originally Posted by lemons View Post
    Please stop saying he's a T. It's getting extremely annoying. I've memorized hundreds of Lennon's words and listened to tons of interviews.

He's a gifted and creative INFJ.
    Most of the lowest opinions I've heard of him are from INFJs. As far as I can see they understand him the least on a personal level. And tend to read taking a break from society and music as going insane, rather than getting space to be himself and do something different. Which was why I dismissed INFJ at the start. If there is merit to it though, we may as well look into it.

What makes you think he is?

Also why do you dismiss ENTJ? He's still looking like a classic one to me.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

In my obsession, I am back to visit this topic. I have recently come up
    with a wild, totally biased theory, that relies on little evidence to say
    that one of the greatest men in history is my type. So here it is:

Most of the time I have believed Lennon to be an ENTJ. He looks classically
    like the ENTJs I know, and I have never had a problem with this. Recently
    though, I realised he does not look like my ENTJ bosses at work, and I am
    often comparing an older Lennon with my ENTJ friends who are in their
    20s. The younger Lennon does not scream ENTJ to me as much, and I think
    the reason the older Lennon reminds me of my ENTJ friends is Te. I don`t
    know what direction ENFPs go as they get older, but I feel like we head
    in a similar direction to what Lennon did. Even on this forum I`ve noticed that as an ENFP gets older they become somewhat similar to an ENTJ. They are an intuitive with Te after all, and Ne maybe sometimes exhibits similar traits to the Ni Se combination.

The big deciding factor for me is did Lennon have the Fi anywhere in his writing and music? I think the older Lennon definitely had a lot of feeling, but that doesn`t really translate to a cognitive function. Fi would be most obviously displayed as a stubborn integrity on personal issues. I`m still unsure of concrete examples of this. Though there was a bit of that quiet almost passive activist in him like an ENFP.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    "I believe in everything until it's disproved. So I believe in fairies, the myths, dragons. It all exists, even if it's in your mind. Who's to say that dreams and nightmares aren't as real as the here and now"
    When John gets into this mode, I wouldn't take anything he says too literally. In this case, it sounds more like he's trying to make a point than that he's sincerely expressing his own ideas.

And you know how John Lennon likes to hammer on his points.

To put it another way, John was an argumentative and contrary bastard, who loved to play devil's advocate. Nearly everything he said in public was calculated to get a rise out of people one way or another. The end goal, usually, was to get people thinking for themselves, rather than just accepting what they'd been handed.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    When John gets into this mode, I wouldn't take anything he says too literally. In this case, it sounds more like he's trying to make a point than that he's sincerely expressing his own ideas.

And you know how John Lennon likes to hammer on his points.

To put it another way, John was an argumentative and contrary bastard, who loved to play devil's advocate. Nearly everything he said in public was calculated to get a rise out of people one way or another. The end goal, usually, was to get people thinking for themselves, rather than just accepting what they'd been handed.
    Sounds like an INTP I know. Could be a very NT trait?
    4w5 sp

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

I think to some extent it's just NT in general: stubborn attention to the conceptual forest that everyone else seems to miss for the trees.

Though the INTP tends to embody this in the most idealistic way, yeah.

MBTI
    INTP

Unlikely to be ENTJ. His facility with Fi was definitely not inferior.

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Sounds like an INTP I know. Could be a very NT trait?
    Or ENFP. We are good at being fools also, ie. Kaufman and the like.

MBTI
    INFJ

The basic thing nobody asks is why do people take drugs of any sort? Why do we have these accessories to normal living to live? I mean, is there something wrong with society that's making us so pressurized, that we cannot live without guarding ourselves against it?
    John Lennon

The thing the sixties did was to show us the possibilities and the responsibility that we all had. It wasn't the answer. It just gave us a glimpse of the possibility.
    John Lennon
    Nothing about those quotes points to 'logic'. Those're just perceptions, and good ones at that. They don't show any tendency towards objectivity or values. They just show a man who understands how society works. Using that to type John Lennon as T just doesn't have a basis.

However, quotes like these make a strong case for him being an NF:

"My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all."

In any case, I agree he's probably an NT. A slim probability, but a probability nonetheless. The two quotes quoted at the top of this post don't point to NT or NF in any way, though.