User Tag List

Poll: What Personality Type is John Lennon - INFP or ENFP??

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 68

Thread: John Lennon

  1. #31
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    I'd definitely say INTP.

    I think people are quick to label musicians as INFPs. He also had very idealist sociopolitical views, which might cause one to think he is NF. But I always thought he came across as very calm, detached, analytical, and theoretical. It was the 60s, and the NT rationalists of the time were more likely to sympathize with NF style idealism.

  2. #32
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'd definitely say INTP.

    I think people are quick to label musicians as INFPs. He also had very idealist sociopolitical views, which might cause one to think he is NF. But I always thought he came across as very calm, detached, analytical, and theoretical. It was the 60s, and the NT rationalists of the time were more likely to sympathize with NF style idealism.
    There is a drive to categorize men as Ts and women as Fs. He talks about believing in everything until disproven, including fairies and dragons because dreams could be as real as reality. That reveals a thought process not an end-goal ideal towards which to build a system of thinking. Also considering murder wrong no matter the circumstance? How do you think those views would go over at INTPc? I can see an NT holding to the ideal of peace, but might find rational arguments to build towards that ideal. I hear an idealist argument towards an ideal goal. If there are quotes that demonstrate Lennon using logical processes to reach the ideal of world peace, then that would make a compelling case for INTP type. A feeling about his demeanor can be strongly influenced by personal assumptions which may not be accurate.

    What would he need to be like to be an actual NF in that setting? It's difficult for me to imagine a more perfect match for the descriptions of INFP including the calm, dreamy nature. I wonder if the false stereotypes of Fs causes people to assume they aren't calm and detached or something? Idealists who value interpersonal peace and who are dreamers by nature are possibly more calm and detached than an INT who can enjoy conflict for its ability to explore ideas.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  3. #33
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by maliafee View Post
    Ok, I just started to explain his T-ness, like I said I wouldn't. Need any other proof though? ;P
    Nope, I see now you were more describing mostly his F side in the first description, if the first description you gave was all I had to go on I would definitely say F.

  4. #34
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    There is a drive to categorize men as Ts and women as Fs. His quotes about believing in everything until disproven, including fairies and dragons because dreams could be as real as reality sounds like an INTP expressing like an NF to you? Also considering murder wrong no matter the circumstance? How do you think those views would go over at INTPc?

    What would he need to be like to be an actual NF in that setting? It's difficult for me to imagine a more perfect match for the descriptions of INFP including the calm, dreamy nature. I wonder if the false stereotypes of Fs causes people to assume they aren't calm and detached or something? Idealists who value interpersonal peace and who are dreamers by nature are possibly more calm and detached than an INT who can enjoy conflict for its ability to explore ideas.
    If I got high out of my mind of LSD and weed, and went to INTPc, my ideas probably wouldn't go over well either. I think his drug use and being swept up in a very idealistic period in history, can account for his perceived NFness.

    And I do think he enjoyed instigated conflict in relation to his ideas. Like with his "War Is Over! If you want it" campaign.

  5. #35
    darkened dreams labyrinthine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    8,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    If I got high out of my mind of LSD and weed, and went to INTPc, my ideas probably wouldn't go over well either. I think his drug use and being swept up in a very idealistic period in history, can account for his perceived NFness.

    And I do think he enjoyed instigated conflict in relation to his ideas. Like with his "War Is Over! If you want it" campaign.
    So, NFs are equivalent to NTs on drugs? ha!

    It would be interesting if he were INTP, but I suspect there would be some evidence in his words that he was fundamentally logical by nature. I can look for some, but if you have access to any that would be useful in making the case for INTP.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

  6. #36
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    So, NFs are equivalent to NTs on drugs? ha!

    It would be interesting if he were INTP, but I suspect there would be some evidence in his words that he was fundamentally logical by nature. I can look for some, but if you have access to any that would be useful in making the case for INTP.
    Now that I'm looking over his quotes, there is a lot of hyperbole and idealism. But I find ones like these to have a logical base:

    The basic thing nobody asks is why do people take drugs of any sort? Why do we have these accessories to normal living to live? I mean, is there something wrong with society that's making us so pressurized, that we cannot live without guarding ourselves against it?
    John Lennon

    The thing the sixties did was to show us the possibilities and the responsibility that we all had. It wasn't the answer. It just gave us a glimpse of the possibility.
    John Lennon

    If you tried to give rock and roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'.
    John Lennon (I just thought this one was funny)

  7. #37
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    he doesn't seem conceptual whatsoever. he doesn't seem like he takes apart problems in complex (thinking-objective) ways. he has the intp/infp detachment, aloofness, like he wears a really strong mask so he does not allow any color of feeling to slip out into the public spotlight. until the whole yoko thing. which seems very premeditated and like it was her doing more than his.

    i don't know the lennon story apart from all of the iconography built up around him. he seems infp to me more than intp, just more of an english working class bar-brawl infp than most of the lovey-dovey ones we know. somewhat unhealthy, not exactly helped by his beatlemania trip. when he got a chance to make a big splash, make changes, etc, he certainly sounds like what's been festering inside of him is far more fp than tp. an intp would talk, talk, talk when he got the mic. mwahaha listen to me! Ti does not run out of things to say, it has been storing them and organizing ideas for a lifetime. i feel like we listen to him bc it is subjectively felt and resonates more than it is perceptive and objectively true/accurate/insightful.

    also, oh yoko to me is the icing on the cake. and the only john lennon song worth falling in love with (thank you wes anderson/mark mothersbaugh!). imagine sounds like a slowed-down billy joel song, and that's not a compliment.
    Likes Blackout, Julius_Van_Der_Beak liked this post

  8. #38
    Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,143

    Default

    John Lennon = INTP

  9. #39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    he doesn't seem conceptual whatsoever. he doesn't seem like he takes apart problems in complex (thinking-objective) ways. he has the intp/infp detachment, aloofness, like he wears a really strong mask so he does not allow any color of feeling to slip out into the public spotlight. until the whole yoko thing. which seems very premeditated and like it was her doing more than his.

    i don't know the lennon story apart from all of the iconography built up around him. he seems infp to me more than intp, just more of an english working class bar-brawl infp than most of the lovey-dovey ones we know. somewhat unhealthy, not exactly helped by his beatlemania trip. when he got a chance to make a big splash, make changes, etc, he certainly sounds like what's been festering inside of him is far more fp than tp. an intp would talk, talk, talk when he got the mic. mwahaha listen to me! Ti does not run out of things to say, it has been storing them and organizing ideas for a lifetime. i feel like we listen to him bc it is subjectively felt and resonates more than it is perceptive and objectively true/accurate/insightful.

    also, oh yoko to me is the icing on the cake. and the only john lennon song worth falling in love with (thank you wes anderson/mark mothersbaugh!). imagine sounds like a slowed-down billy joel song, and that's not a compliment.
    You haven't listened to him much I'm guessing? He's a creative visionary to the max. And I wouldn't dismiss Ti or Te, because he made an art of saying it perfectly. Take in my life (voted song of century by other musicians).

    There are places I'll remember all my life, though some have changed. Some forever not for better. Some have gone and some remain. All these places have their moments, with lovers and friends, i still can recall. Some are dead and some are living. In my life I've loved them all.

    But of all these friends and lovers there is no one compares with you. And these memories lose their meaning when i think of love as something new. Though I know I'll never lose affection for people and things that went before. I know I'll often stop and think about them.. In my life, I love you more.
    That is purely conceptual. He didn't write it as a structured philosophical text, but the philosophical part is the key to the song, and is what creates the emotional part. It is defining a perspective where the situation is real, but is seen in a better light. Which is actually drawing me to NFP again, with an E. I still think from interviews and life though that he is ENTJ.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  10. #40
    deleted
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Please stop saying he's a T. It's getting extremely annoying. I've memorized hundreds of Lennon's words and listened to tons of interviews.

    He's a gifted and creative INFJ.

Similar Threads

  1. [MBTItm] The Mistyping of John Lennon
    By Mal12345 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-17-2017, 05:54 PM
  2. "Imagine the Band" by John Lennon and Wings
    By Mal12345 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2014, 03:47 PM
  3. Was John Lennon Anti-religion?
    By Mal12345 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 10-27-2011, 10:43 AM
  4. John Edwards On WTC Building 7
    By FranG in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 07:11 PM
  5. John Kricfalusi's Type
    By ladypinkington in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2007, 01:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO