• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Robin Williams

What Personality Type Was Robin Williams?

• Total voters

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I always thought he was an ENxP, until I interacted with him in person. He was rather private, neat, quick, intellectual, grouchy and high-maintenance.
You met Robin Williams?

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Maybe few fedoras. Not necessarily a "cool" or "fun" thing though.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always thought he was an ENxP, until I interacted with him in person. He was rather private, neat, quick, intellectual, grouchy and high-maintenance.

Having given your observation some thought (although I immediately greeted it with a witty rejoinder), it should be obvious that the entertainer is not going to be the same as the person is in private, away from the audience. And indeed, Williams, on the inside, and to those in private, is an INTP, that is, an introverted judger. The entertainer Williams in the Ne-Fe loop is providing a facade aided by the Fe tertiary. I'm not saying that Williiams is both ENTP and INTP, he will be the ENTP in every situation, that is, Ne-dom. But the intellectual and grouchy Ti-aux is brought forth as needed by this personality, while in other situations Fe-tert is positively needful.

Galena

Silver and Lead
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm not saying we should type him as something other than 7 just to be contrary to the stereotype. I'm just saying it would be funny if we did in the end.

Arctic Hysteria

an abyss of Nothingness
MBTI Type
IxFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Having given your observation some thought (although I immediately greeted it with a witty rejoinder), it should be obvious that the entertainer is not going to be the same as the person is in private, away from the audience. And indeed, Williams, on the inside, and to those in private, is an INTP, that is, an introverted judger. The entertainer Williams in the Ne-Fe loop is providing a facade aided by the Fe tertiary. I'm not saying that Williiams is both ENTP and INTP, he will be the ENTP in every situation, that is, Ne-dom. But the intellectual and grouchy Ti-aux is brought forth as needed by this personality, while in other situations Fe-tert is positively needful.

I think I'd have to agree with the xNTP guess. He's old so he could be unpredictable, private and grouchy one day, chatty and happy the next. But the NTP sounds precise.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
FP I think by behaviour.

I've only seen one of his interviews as I recall so long ago but didn't notice any Fi.

Hmm.. he was just talking about his past/school days therefore didn't have much opportunities to get his Fi going.

Then again an argument could be made and said:

Hmm.. he was just talking about his past/school days therefore didn't have much opportunities and despite having had many opportunities to get his Fi going he didn't display any.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think I'd have to agree with the xNTP guess. He's old so he could be unpredictable, private and grouchy one day, chatty and happy the next. But the NTP sounds precise.

You would know more about his moods than I would. I assume you were around Williams for more than one day.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FP I think by behaviour.

I've only seen one of his interviews as I recall so long ago but didn't notice any Fi.

Hmm.. he was just talking about his past/school days therefore didn't have much opportunities to get his Fi going.

Then again an argument could be made and said:

Hmm.. he was just talking about his past/school days therefore didn't have much opportunities and despite having had many opportunities to get his Fi going he didn't display any.

That sounds contradictory. FP and "didn't display any" Fi.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
That sounds contradictory. FP and "didn't display any" Fi.

I said in the first sentence: fi by behaviour. (stereotypically.)

And then i pointed out despite his behaviour/outward behaviour he didn't display any Fi in the interview i saw.

Then i argued that he was merely talking about his past, therefore didn't have many opportunities to display Fi.

Then i pointed out that an counter argument could be made regarding the above.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I said in the first sentence: fi by behaviour. (stereotypically.)

And then i pointed out despite his behaviour/outward behaviour he didn't display any Fi in the interview i saw.

Then i argued that he was merely talking about his past, therefore didn't have many opportunities to display Fi.

Then i pointed out that an counter argument could be made regarding the above.

You said "FP I think by behaviour," not Fi by behavior.

Does anybody know what "FP behavior is"? Or Fi behavior for that matter? Does it include crying at weddings?

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I haven't really seen his interviews so I don't know much about his type, but minus "neat" any of these could apply to me depending on my mood (and a lot of ENFP 7s I'd suspect) - high-maintenance and quick being the most frequent.

Riva

Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Dammit mal and now he is dead.

I felt so bad when i heard that news.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Plenty of NPs can seem that way, regardless of I/E.

His role choices reek of ENFP, especially his serious acting. He fits an idealist over a rationalist also.
Fi in the auxiliary is the "parenting" role, meaning its directed at others, making it look quite different from dominant Fi. We all know that ENFPs are more directly expressive of feeling & animated than your average IxFP. Plus, Ne seeks to affect others, as part of uncovering potential in them & opening up possibilities in general.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Robin Williams was no entp, we dont kill ourselves

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
ENFP 7w6 sx/so. Too much truth in emotion for Ti/Fe. TP's truth is in logic and its play is in Fe.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENFP 7w6 sx/so. Too much truth in emotion for Ti/Fe. TP's truth is in logic and its play is in Fe.

TP's (Ti's) "truth" is finding and following an internal basis for determining truth. It's play is in Se or Ne, not Fe.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
TP's (Ti's) "truth" is finding and following an internal basis for determining truth. It's play is in Se or Ne, not Fe.

Semantics and missing my point. My point is that Robin Williams poured his self into his roles. His values, his emotions, his sense of every feeling in the rainbow. He poured that into his characters. I do not doubt for a second that an ENTP could be an excellent actor or comedian - certainly there are many - but the way Robin Williams poured his self into his characters is so Fi. He claimed the voice of the Genie as his own intellectual property - him claiming his self-expression and creativity as his own. His humor had a cringing, self-aware element that is so Fi. He was self-referential. Obama said this - "He arrived in our lives as an alien – but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit." Human spirit and universal connection. That is NeFi at its purest.

ENTP Conan in contrast:

Conan O'Brien found out about Robin Williams at the end of taping his show, and handled it perfectly. | Robin Williams | Happy Place

Graceful, sympathetic, touched and touching, inclusive and respectful to the audience in a time of seriousness. A beautiful demonstration of Fe.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Semantics.

You are dismissing a relevant comment with one broad stroke in order to quickly move on and assert your own belief. My point is that logic may or may not be Ti's guiding star. "Logic" is an Occidental intellectual bias. Ti will still exist in cultures where logic is not put on a pedestal. That internal basis may for example be meditation as a way of finding truth. The quest for intellectual truth is internally determined, that's all that matters here! All else is stereotyping.

My point is that Robin Williams poured his self into his roles. His values, his emotions, his sense of every feeling in the rainbow. He poured that into his characters. I do not doubt for a second that an ENTP could be an excellent actor or comedian

...or that an ENTP can't pour him or herself into a character...

- certainly there are many - but the way Robin Williams poured his self into his characters is so Fi. He claimed the voice of the Genie as his own intellectual property - him claiming his self-expression and creativity as his own. His humor had a cringing, self-aware element that is so Fi. He was self-referential. Obama said this - "He arrived in our lives as an alien – but he ended up touching every element of the human spirit." Human spirit and universal connection. That is NeFi at its purest.

Robin Williams was also a cultural critic, a skeptical Ti. For example, 'Some people say Jesus wasn't Jewish. Of course he was Jewish! Thirty years old, single, lives with his parents, come on. He works in his father's business, his mom thought he was God's gift, he's Jewish. Give it up." Never mind, ENFPs can be that way too!

I remember Robin Williams well. His behavior per se doesn't matter, it's the hyper-intensity of the behavior. He was busting out with extroversion, in the right settings, completely unregulated out-of-control stream-of-thought extroversion strewn here and there with "why?" moments. He was always asking "why?" He was an NT who wanted to know the reasons. He didn't ask his audience, he asked nobody in particular and everybody in general, or perhaps he was just talking out loud, expressing something of his internal world in between the bouts of intense stream-of-thought.